Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon All,

I'm looking for some thoughts and ideas.

On Friday morning I went to start my 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (Automatic), and at first I turned the key and it moved to the to the start position but the vehicle did not start. The lights came on and there were some clicking noises, but nothing sounding like the engine was trying to turn over. I turned the key back a bit and tried again and same issue. I then turned the key all the way to off and at that point the key would not move anymore. I can insert and remove the key, just not turn it at all. I tried jiggling the steering wheel incase it had locked up, as well as tapping on the end of the key with a rubber mallet, didn't work.

I thought it could be the battery so I had someone come out with a battery charger, while the battery charger was connected the key would still not rotate. I was able to turn the engine on with the remote start, but the key wouldn't move. The guy that came out with the charger suggested it could be the alternator, but I'm thinking it could be the ignition switch or short in the electrical somewhere.

Another piece of maybe useful information: As I've been playing around with this, and in the process locking the vehicle, the "honking" noise (from locking) has gone from it's normal sound to a weak "honk", to now barely any noise at all. Which kind of reinforces my thought of a short somewhere.

My big annoyance is that the vehicle is located in an underground garage (about 100 feet from the exit in an end space). So if I wanted to get it towed, I'd have to push it all the way out and then on about 20-30 feet of compacted snow for a tow truck to be able to get to it and it would need to be on a flatbed due to the 4 wheel drive.

I've looked into two mobile automotive repair companies and they can't/won't work on Jeep ignitions.

I could see if a mobile automotive locksmith could help, I'm worried they'd have the same response as the mobile automotive repair companies. Not open until Monday, so won't know until then.

I do want to say I really do enjoy my renegade, it's been wonderful for winters, and it's been a great vehicle up until yesterday.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
Reactions: Mrsig

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Morning,

No luck yet, I installed a brand new battery this morning and no luck on the key turning. However now I am able to use the remote start to start the engine, not that it does me much good.

· Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
572 Posts
In our age of push to start vehicles, it’s been a while since I’ve been behind the wheel of one with an actual key you insert into the ignition. But, I do remember there being certain things the ignition would “lock out” of to prevent you from starting it, such as not having the gear selector in park. If it’s possible, you could try cycling the gear selector.

· Registered
2015 Trailhawk
995 Posts
It could still be the steering wheel lock. The mechanism that interacts with the ignition cylinder may be broken (seems to be a common Jeep problem - not specifically for the Renegade though). Are you able to try a spare key?

· Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
572 Posts
If you go here and read on from page 27, it seems that the conclusion is to replace the ignition. There have been users on here that said a faulty ignition causes all sorts of strange electrical problems.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, So I've tried the spare key, no luck. I popped the cover off the gear selector and put it in neutral and tried the key no luck, tried after putting it back into park and still no luck.

It does seem more and more likely that I'll have to replace the ignition.

Any idea if only a dealership can do this? The two mobile automotive services that I looked into said on their sites that they don't service Jeeps.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
Tapping on the key with a rubber mallet most likely didn't help. I'd refrain from doing that procedure again....it may have damaged the lock cylinder or the key itself. Tapping the steering column, sure.

I'd go for the previously mentioned "fix" first; replace the fob battery. Always choose the cheapest fix first.

If you replace the ignition cylinder, the new key(s) have to programmed to the onboard computer. If you do it yourself, it'll still have to be towed to a dealer as it will not start.

· Registered
63 Posts
Good Afternoon All,

On Friday morning I went to start my 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (Automatic), and at first I turned the key and it moved to the to the start position but the vehicle did not start. The lights came on and there were some clicking noises, but nothing sounding like the engine was trying to turn over. I turned the key back a bit and tried again and same issue. I then turned the key all the way to off and at that point the key would not move anymore. I can insert and remove the key, just not turn it at all. I tried jiggling the steering wheel incase it had locked up, as well as tapping on the end of the key with a rubber mallet, didn't work.

I thought it could be the battery so I had someone come out with a battery charger, while the battery charger was connected the key would still not rotate. I was able to turn the engine on with the remote start, but the key wouldn't move. The guy that came out with the charger suggested it could be the alternator, but I'm thinking it could be the ignition switch or short in the electrical somewhere.

Another piece of maybe useful information: As I've been playing around with this, and in the process locking the vehicle, the "honking" noise (from locking) has gone from it's normal sound to a weak "honk", to now barely any noise at all. Which kind of reinforces my thought of a short somewhere.

My big annoyance is that the vehicle is located in an underground garage (about 100 feet from the exit in an end space). So if I wanted to get it towed, I'd have to push it all the way out and then on about 20-30 feet of compacted snow for a tow truck to be able to get to it and it would need to be on a flatbed due to the 4 wheel drive.

I've looked into two mobile automotive repair companies and they can't/won't work on Jeep ignitions.

I could see if a mobile automotive locksmith could help, I'm worried they'd have the same response as the mobile automotive repair companies. Not open until Monday, so won't know until then.

I do want to say I really do enjoy my renegade, it's been wonderful for winters, and it's been a great vehicle up until yesterday.

The shifter cable
Good Afternoon All,

Dry-type silicone lubricant is good to clean and lubricate locks. The graphite kills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.