Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... one possible problem that has plagued me since I got my Renegade is the ignition. I used to have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with push button ignition. It was great - push a button, car starts, never an issue. I don't have that with the Renegade. When I turn my key, it seems as though I need to have a very specific "feel" for how far I turn the key in order to get the Renegade to turn on. There are times when I turn the key that it starts to crank up and then fizzles out. It ALWAYS turns on after the 2nd attempt but sometimes there is some rumbling after it's come on before it normalizes. What does this mean?! It's very frustrating. Is it worth taking to the dealer or do I just not know how to properly turn the key to power it on? I've tried turning the key all the way and I've tried turning just after my initial turn... and I sometimes have the problem both ways. This does not happen 100% of the time but it does happen often enough to where it's bothering me. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
Hi acdandyd,

I recommend bringing your vehicle to an FCA dealership so that you can demonstrate your concern to the service department. They’ll be able to identify whether the key is being turned correctly or if they need to further diagnose it. If you would like any assistance in scheduling an appointment, feel free to PM me your VIN, contact info, and dealership info.

· Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
788 Posts
Not sure exactly the problem you’re having, but the ignition lock cylinder sometimes just wears down and needs to be replaced. Only a starting point in diagnosing your problem.

Google “symptoms of failing ignition lock cylinder” and see if they match what your experiencing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.