Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Reny didn't come with a rear view camera so I have been looking at fitting one myself..

Thinking that surly the wiring would be already there ... wrong it isn't and I now know it wouldn't be that easy ..

Removed the blanking plate where the camera can be fitted I found no wiring so I removed the tailgate trim (easy) to investigate .. no wires at all .. fu~k

So just to make sure I asked my friends at Jeep/Fiat would this be possible .. answer NO .. Sh#t ..

What to do ? Wanted it easy so thinking Wireless .. I also tow a caravan so thinking would it be good to have a Camera on both my Reny and my caravan..

Looking on Amazon and Ebay for wireless camera systems .. lots of cheap unreliable crap cameras on there .. ( I know I have fitted them before ) No way would they send a wireless signal from the back of the caravan to a monitor on the Reny.. also they do suffer from all types of interference ..rear wiper motors and Bluetooth and more..

As I said I wanted it easy so I didn't want to hard-wire all the way from caravan to Reny..

A good search I found just the system made for trailers, caravans and the likes .. Not cheap but guaranteed or send it back ..

link ... http://trailervision.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=285

Ordered and fitted ( well nearly ) easy and quick and works no interference at all ..

On the Reny and the caravan I wanted to wire it up so I was on all the time via ignition and not when reversing .. Why you say ? .. well on the caravan can be used when towing to see what's behind the caravan .. on the Reny when my dogs in the back the dog guard restricts the view .. You'll see why then I later post the pictures ..

If anyone is interested I can give a blow by blow with pictures on how I fitted it to my Reny and soon another camera to my caravan..

I did try it on my caravan and it works fantastic ( waiting for the correct camera for for the caravan ) .. the number plate camera was too big for the caravan .. they do a smaller one that will work ..

To Be Continued ... ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mirror Monitor and number plate Camera

The Monitor can take 4 camera's ... remote control changes the camera's

I will have 2 camera's 1 on van and 1 on Reny .. might add a front Cam later..

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I need to point out the camera I fitted is not really a reversing camera but a rear view camera .. needed for when towing my caravan .. there's no grid incorporated in this system but I still use it on the car because when my dogs are in the back there's no view out of the back window..

I don't want to use a dog guard because they are difficult and time consuming to take out .. so to stop the dog jumping over the seats I use the rear shelf as seen in the picture ..

When my dogs are in the back the shelf stops up with the aid of Velcro pads ..

The fitting is the same as a reverse camera.. the only difference is it would be wired up to the reverse light wiring..

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right lets start with the camera .. I used a number plate camera so I needed to remove my number plate .. easy just pull it off ( held on with sticky pads ).. hardest and longest part was removing the pads from the Reny .. soaking with WD40 done the trick ..

Tailgate trim removal .. two parts lower and upper .. lower first .. remove 1 handle screw ( see pictures ) using a trim tool prise the trim until you can get your hand in .. then pull hard and the trim will come away .. some clips might stay in the tailgate so remove them ( I used a clip remover ) put them back on the trim ... easy..

Top trim ... two screws as per pictures ( UK 2 screw that hold the shelf cards ) using a trim tool remove the top trim .. this came of very easy .. be careful lots of wires and window connections underneath this trim ..

My camera came with all wires and connection even the grommet to take the wire from the camera through the lid ..

Drilled hole for grommet and screwed number plate with camera to lid .. sealed all screws and wires .. refitted number plate..

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a blanking plate in the tailgate that would take a Jeep Reny camera or a third party camera.. so no holes need to be drilled in the tailgate .. but there's no wiring for a camera at all .. so you will need to wire up to power (reverse light)

I my case I wanted it on when the ignition was on so I wired it up on the back of the power socket in the rear side panel on the Reny ...

My system is wireless so all I had to do was take a wire to the power socket .. and fit the wireless sender unit into the tailgate ...

I will post this next time ... >>>>>>>>

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great thread Badger. Are you continuing to use the rear view mirror monitor? I'd like to see integration with the 6.5 uconnect I have in the TH. Any tips?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great thread Badger. Are you continuing to use the rear view mirror monitor? I'd like to see integration with the 6.5 uconnect I have in the TH. Any tips?
The system I'm using wont work with the 6.5 uconnect .. you already have a reverse camera on you TH .. ( I take it ?)

I just fitted another wireless camera on my caravan both camera's are now working on the mirror monitor in the Reny .. great when I'm towing i can see all behind me.. I can switch camera's or have both working on the monitor .. the system will take up to 4 camera's .. the wireless range is about 200yds/mts ..
I have tried it from about 100yds away from the caravan and I can still view the camera on my caravan .. this isn't a cheap system but it's works with no interference at all ..
i will post the rest of the fitting on here when I have time...

·
Registered
269 Posts
No the camera(s) are optionals on the TH. I think they maye be std on the Limited?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No the camera(s) are optionals on the TH. I think they maye be std on the Limited?
I think you'll find there's no wiring for the reverse camera in the tail gate lid ..

I don't know if there is any connections in the back of your 6.5 uconnect unit..

I know there's none on the back of my 5" uconnect ( I was told by my friends at Fiat )

If there were a connection on your 6.5 my wireless system wouldn't work anyway .. software problems ..

It would be a rewire job for you unless the wires are all there and your 6.5 could take it.. without taking your 6.5 head of and looking I can't tell you .. ask your dealer or I might be able to find out for you ..

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think you'll find there's no wiring for the reverse camera in the tail gate lid ..

I don't know if there is any connections in the back of your 6.5 uconnect unit..

I know there's none on the back of my 5" uconnect ( I was told by my friends at Fiat )

If there were a connection on your 6.5 my wireless system wouldn't work anyway .. software problems ..

It would be a rewire job for you unless the wires are all there and your 6.5 could take it.. without taking your 6.5 head of and looking I can't tell you .. ask your dealer or I might be able to find out for you ..
If you get chance to talk to your pals then that would be great Badger. But don't worry if not. Thanks I've got a bit of fact finding to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you get chance to talk to your pals then that would be great Badger. But don't worry if not. Thanks I've got a bit of fact finding to do.

My contacts need your model .. year and VIN number .. PM me them if you like ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Renegade has the 5" system- so no built-in GPS, so I got a Garmin 2598LMTHD GPS device - nice GPS - and I just got a BC30 wireless backup camera because I may be towing a trailer soon - the BC30 transmits video wirelessly to the GPS unit upto 45-foot range. I have been using the GPS for a few months now and it is great, I just got the camera and have not had time to test it - but I may set it up as a front facing camera since the front of the Renegade is so short, and the Garmin system allows for upto 4 wireless cameras. So, the Garmin system is kinda nice providing GPS and upto 4 wireless cameras.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My Renegade has the 5" system- so no built-in GPS, so I got a Garmin 2598LMTHD GPS device - nice GPS - and I just got a BC30 wireless backup camera because I may be towing a trailer soon - the BC30 transmits video wirelessly to the GPS unit upto 45-foot range. I have been using the GPS for a few months now and it is great, I just got the camera and have not had time to test it - but I may set it up as a front facing camera since the front of the Renegade is so short, and the Garmin system allows for upto 4 wireless cameras. So, the Garmin system is kinda nice providing GPS and upto 4 wireless cameras.
Sounds a nice solution!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next job .. Wiring the wireless camera .. I fitted the wireless sender unit in the rear tail gate lid ( lots of room ) used the same sticky pad that are used for rear number plates ..

The wiring needed to go from the tail gate lid through into the (UK) nearside trim panel ( left-side )

Removed the grommet that takes the wiring through to the rear of the headlining ( see pictures ) the grommet is fitted in very tight so I used WD40 and giving it a good pull it came away .. using a old plastic coat hanger I then took the wire thought the grommet ..taking care not to damage the grommet .. I again used WD40 to make it easier to get it through ( you could use any type of lubrication )

Using a trim tool I easily pulled the rear part of the headlining from under the lid seal.. then using the coat hanger .. threaded the cable down behind the trim panel .. this panel comes off easy after removing the lid seal .. you needn't take the panel right off just pull it away so you can get hold of the wires ..
I wired it up to the rear off the accessory socket using a in-line fuse.. The picture shows it connected with a plug in the accessory socket just for testing ..

Refitted all panels and the grommet ( again you'll need to lubricate this grommet because it's a very tight fit )

I have already tested the system before I fitted it so I knew it was OK to refit all panels ..

Next job fitting and wiring the mirror monitor and wireless receiver .. ( another post )

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts