Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So So much negativity on the forum. Never seen that before. It seems a real marmite car/ brand. Can I get some advice please from those of you who actually OWN a renegade. I appreciate there are lots of rumours etc, but looking for facts from owners

I currently own a Mini Cooper D I bought new in 2012. I LOVE it. It drives great, very economical and looks great with the 17 inch alloys and white silver paint.

My good lady is over 5 months pregnant and now we are pram shopping yesterday, the mini turns out is very small and not practical any more. :) I need a bigger car and don't like the Countryman.. So I've been looking about. I reckon I have it down to a Mazda CX3, Vitara or Renegade.

Mazda and Vitara have good reliability apparently. To be fair they say that about German cars. I've had a few German cars. All new. All seriously unreliable and riddled with faults. I've also owned a Punto for 5 years and never missed a beat, but Italian cars are rubbish apparently!! My mini has needed a fair few things fixed under warranty. Weird things like the big centre speedo delaminating. A major repair and software upgrade. Lots of little issues with electrics and seals popping, but I never hear it get slated like Jeep or Fiat.

I am not put off by Fiat owning Jeep. I am delighted by it!!! Maybe they'll make good cars now. Hence now looking at Renegades. The Vitara is Spartan inside. All seems ok. The Mazda a bit small in the boot and seriously over priced. I think the Renegade is too expensive too, but my local dealer has pre reg discounted by about £3k, so now affordable.

My questions...............
Are these cars really that unreliable/ problem riddled

Should I wait for as long as possible before buying to let glitches get ironed out?

I am looking at a diesel Longitude or Limited (I like the limited wheels and interior). Is it worth paying up for the Limited?

Is it worth going pre-reg? Never done that before

The MPG seems really low for a modern diesel. Surely any modern diesel should get over 50mg. Am I better with the Multi-Air or the normal 1.6 petrol? What is the UK MPG. Plenty reported on the US part, but different gallon size.

I love the Tonka Toy look of the car. The colour makes an amazing difference. I thought it looked well put together. Better than any American car I've ever been in. I just need my cars to be reliable. I'd love the 4 x 4 but don't need it and would barely use it.

The renegade is so ugly its good looking!!!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It's too early to tell how the long-term reliability will be. Remember though that this is not a tiny car and won't come close to 50 mpg.

I purchased my Renegade Trailhawk in April of this year and am very happy with it after 2,300 miles. I have not experienced any drivability issues whatsoever. It was just the size car I was looking for; not too big, yet not too small.

And I disagree with your statement "The renegade is so ugly its good looking!!!!" I think it is one of the better looking cars out there (except for my Dodge Challenger).

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
As yet I do not have a Renegade, but I will be putting my order in in December. I am getting mine on the motability scheme. Had my current motability lease expired, I would have ordered a Renegade now. No, I do not have any connection to the FCA brands.

Yes, some Renegades have had issues and to be fair, not everyone and every model is affected. Most manufacturers have issues like this, so it is not an FCA thing. Nobody is saying the Renegade is a bad troublesome and should be avoided, just some niggles that need to be ironed out.

Mine will be a 2wd, don't need 4x4, Longitude with the 1.6 diesel lump.

As for mpg figures, bear in mind this is a high vehicle, compared to most models, so a trade off will be a few mpg less. My 2013 1.5 dCi Scenic does about 40 mpg on short runs. Not great but it is when my previous car was doing 19-21 mpg on short runs! If you look under the UK region, there is a thread on the mpg from UK owners.

You have been to your local dealer, so the interest must be there. Take one for a drive and who knows? Does your other half drive? If so, does she like the Renegade? My other half doesn't drive, yet she can't wait until we order one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I disagree with your statement "The renegade is so ugly its good looking!!!!" I think it is one of the better looking cars out there (except for my Dodge Challenger).[/QUOTE]

No offence was meant. I love the look of it. :) People seem to love it or loathe it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been to the dealers a couple of times. I thought the interior in particular felt very well put together.

I would be looking at manual.

My wife drives, but it would be my car mostly as she has her own.

I know I wont match my mini figures, but apparently the Vitara is hitting 50mpg and its a similar size to the Renegade.

I've pretty much decided this is the car I'm getting now. I just want to make sure I get the right model/ engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the 1.4L limited and get around 36mpg in the UK on A roads with some hills involved. On longer journeys A roads and motorways it was closer to 45mpg. I've now done 1800 miles and the only problem so far is an intermittent alarm fault where the alarm goes off for no reason (when parked) and lasts for about a minute. Annoying but not disastrous.
I would like the engine to have more guts though, the car is heavy for the 1.4 and needs more power for long inclines etc. I previously had a 1.2 petrol Yeti and it had more grunt as the car is lighter.
In fact you could maybe consider a yeti? It has very versatile seats as the rear seats can actually be removed individually so plenty of room for prams etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the Yetis great, but I'm not a fan of the looks.

The diesel engine felt quite torquey but had very narrow power bands. Great gearbox on the manual. Loved it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the 1.4L limited and get around 36mpg in the UK on A roads with some hills involved. On longer journeys A roads and motorways it was closer to 45mpg. I've now done 1800 miles and the only problem so far is an intermittent alarm fault where the alarm goes off for no reason (when parked) and lasts for about a minute. Annoying but not disastrous.
I would like the engine to have more guts though, the car is heavy for the 1.4 and needs more power for long inclines etc. I previously had a 1.2 petrol Yeti and it had more grunt as the car is lighter.
In fact you could maybe consider a yeti? It has very versatile seats as the rear seats can actually be removed individually so plenty of room for prams etc.
How often are you using thins like AC? and accessories that would impact mileage?

·
Registered
37 Posts
we have a 2.4 motor, and it works well with the 9 speed auto.. handles freeway speeds and hills with no serious downshifting jerking. this is here in Colorado, high altitude, low oxygen, but the Renegade drives like a champ. as for the looks, I think it is one o fthe best small suv/crossovers out there, but what is really nice, is the interior room!

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
I've put close to 1,000 miles on my Renegade Trailhawk (gas engine), and so far no problems. If you have the time to wait for the next model year that might not be a bad idea. Otherwise, I can tell you that while some have had issues with their Renegades, I have not.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My Renegade has done pretty good and I really like the vehicle. I have a Limited Mojave Sand with 2,300 miles on it so far and purchased it about 45 days ago. The only 2 minor issues I have had are squeling brakes in the morning while backing out of my garage and 6.5 radio system glitch with Yelp app. Every vehicle has its problems, and buying a vehicle today and not having no issues at all is rare. Every new vehicle I have purchased has had some issue, a recall or TSBs stuff done to it. Vehicles today have so much electronic stuff like modules, CPU, relays, diodes, software, ECU, TCU, PCU, etc, etc.... Just like your home computer needs updates, your vehicle will also need software updates. Bottom line is I am pleased with my new Renegade and am glad I decided to buy it as a first edition, brand new SUV from JEEP!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
I'm creeping up on 1000 miles. I can tell you I like my renegade a lot. It does have a few quirks and annoyances, and I'll list them.

1) The stupid head unit disclaimer on startup. Someone at corporate needs a punch in the face, I have yet to find another brand that does this.
2) lack of 4 holes for plate mounting.
3) the 5-4 and 4-5 shift are a bit slow, and occasionally catches the renegade daydreaming trying to initiate a highway pass. However, it isn't much worse than turbo lag, and I've been driving a turbo charged vehicle of one sort or another for nearly 20 years before buying the renny. This doesn't bother me, but it is there.
4) It's pretty easy to make the transmission/driveline go clunk in bad stop and go traffic, aka, my commute. Previous car was a subaru legacy 2.5gt with 5 speed AT. It'd go clunk for the smae reasons about once a week. The renegade is close to once a day on commuting days. Not really a big deal, but it gets some people's shorts bunched up.
5) The automatic headlights vs. dusk and rain. The math is kind of wrong, and if I turn them on manually, I have to be careful not to leave them on and wind up with a dead battery. This is probably the only thing that will grate on me long term if I can't find a solution. Given that it's off by an annoying amount based on my good judgment, but off by a whole heck of a lot by my states laws for wipers on = headlights on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 1.4limited manual and love it, no issues yet, yes it's quirky, and that's a good thing, I'm not easy on the throttle and average around 38mpg on short journeys and on motorway average around 46, the engine is punchy and needs to be worked hard, to the the fun it's has, also it handles very well on the twisties, and holds the road confidently , the white and Orange leather interior is eye catching and the panoramic roof is a godsend with the sunshine , so no disappointments , good luck in what you decide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a Mini Cooper D I bought new in 2012. I LOVE it. It drives great, very economical and looks great with the 17 inch alloys and white silver paint.
Monkeyzak,

I am a fellow MINI owner and now my fiancee has a Renegade Limited (2.4L petrol). After 3500 miles I would highly suggest the Renegade Limited Diesel. I have a 2006 R53 MINI which I love however I am considering either a Countryman (2017 new body) or another Renegade for myself. I have to say the more I drive our Renegade, The more I am considering one. It will be tough to move away from MINI but the Jeep has been an excellent vehicle. Most of the issues which have been seen are typical of a first year run vehicle despite the extreme reactions on this board.

As a member of NAM, MINI2, Motoring Underground, Motoring Authority and many more MINI boards, I have to say there is a difference in how much the American boards complain while the European boards are very informative. I am not saying there is not good information on the American boards, but lets be honest, Americans like to complain.

Our Renegade is a Limited as I said before. The interior is well made and from my experience the leather is well worth the extra investment. The cloth in the "Latitude" here, Longitude for you, is in my opinion very cheap. The leather is like the Leatherette in the MINIs except a little nicer. The Limited also comes with all the heated everything which is a nice touch. I also highly recommend the sat nav screen. The tiny 5" screen is alright however the sat nav is quite good and why we chose to go with it.

Final thoughts. If we had the 2.0L diesel/manual option here in the states, I would get the Renegade in a heartbeat! I would have to get a "Latitude" to get a manual which is why I am hoping BMW does not ruin the Countryman in the next generation. Diesel is the way to go for sure.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Monkeyzak,

I am a fellow MINI owner and now my fiancee has a Renegade Limited (2.4L petrol). After 3500 miles I would highly suggest the Renegade Limited Diesel. I have a 2006 R53 MINI which I love however I am considering either a Countryman (2017 new body) or another Renegade for myself. I have to say the more I drive our Renegade, The more I am considering one. It will be tough to move away from MINI but the Jeep has been an excellent vehicle. Most of the issues which have been seen are typical of a first year run vehicle despite the extreme reactions on this board.

As a member of NAM, MINI2, Motoring Underground, Motoring Authority and many more MINI boards, I have to say there is a difference in how much the American boards complain while the European boards are very informative. I am not saying there is not good information on the American boards, but lets be honest, Americans like to complain.

Our Renegade is a Limited as I said before. The interior is well made and from my experience the leather is well worth the extra investment. The cloth in the "Latitude" here, Longitude for you, is in my opinion very cheap. The leather is like the Leatherette in the MINIs except a little nicer. The Limited also comes with all the heated everything which is a nice touch. I also highly recommend the sat nav screen. The tiny 5" screen is alright however the sat nav is quite good and why we chose to go with it.

Final thoughts. If we had the 2.0L diesel/manual option here in the states, I would get the Renegade in a heartbeat! I would have to get a "Latitude" to get a manual which is why I am hoping BMW does not ruin the Countryman in the next generation. Diesel is the way to go for sure.

Hope this helped.
Apologies, I wrote this under my fiancee's screen name. Borrowed her computer.

ksminiman is my sn on all the MINI boards as well.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. That was really informative. I am going to go over and test drive both petrol and diesel today back to back. I think I will go for the diesel as I like the additional torque. I might change my mind after driving the petrol. My mini is a diesel as I currently do 18,000 miles per year. I am starting a new job soon so that will drop to 10,000 so I think I wont see the real benefits of diesel.

I also thought the leather interior seemed excellent quality and the cloth a little poor. No worse than my Mini though.

I appreciate any new car model will have its issues, so as long as its not to bad and I suffer breakdowns, then I'm fine and will deal with it. I'm sure the alarm thing will get fixed at some point and I don't drive an Auto box.

The Mini has not been without its problems. These cars are so **** complicated now due to all the electronics.

The more I see the Renegade, the more I love the look. Its very American boxy

I had thought about waiting for the new countryman, but I really need something sooner.

I bought the TLC pack with my Mini. I don't know why all manufacturers don't do this. Does Renegade do some sort of prepaid servicing? I cant find anything online for it.

I will see what deal I can get from the dealer. I still cant work out how they work out the prices from the Sport up to Trailhawk. There seems a small jump from Sport to Longitute, then a huge jump to the Limited.

If the Limited is out of reach for me just now, I might put of off for a few months and see what offers the dealers are doing. I am starting to see some decent discounts for pre-registered cars.

I'm starting to think about the 4 x 4 but not sure if its worth it. I don't ever go offroad but do live in Scotland, where we get lots of inclement weather all year round. Just look at the Golf Open on TV to see a summers day here!!

A lot of problems seem to be with the Auto box. I don't think that will be a big seller over here. We all tend to drive manual box. I thought the manual 6 speed was very smooth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, I have a Renegade 1.6 Turbodiesel , limited model ,two wheel drive, manual six speed transmission,had it for two months now , and it has been nothing but perfection, I think the engine is really punchy , with a slick gearchange .Build quality is first class , and IT IS a great looking car.luv it any one thinking of buying one don't be put off by a few negative comments about the car it is good , and built in the EU.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went in today to sign up for my Renegade. Then they offered me £6k for my car in a tradein. Its a 2012 Mini Cooper Diesel, specced up pretty highly with the stuff you want. 17 inch alloys, better interior, special edition paint and has a full BMW service history and pack. They told me that they could only retail it at £8k? I'll buy another off them for that!!!. I went on my phone and couldn't find one they had with the same years, mileage and condition for less than £11-£12k. I couldn't find one on ebay the same for less than £10k.

It seems like a pretty poor trade in. I was offered £8k against a Vitara.

Unless I sell it privately, I'll not be getting a renegade!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sad to hear they are being ridiculous! Unfortunealty it is the same over here. I'd buy your MINI if it were possible to have it registered here in the good old US of Lame. It is "too dangerous" to import vehicles that are nicer and safer than ours... Thanks Mercedes!

Anyway, hope everything works out for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.