Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...iam a recent jeep owner and new to this forum . I purchased a Renegade Longitude diesel 2015 about 4 months ago and so far it as been not too bad.
After owning the car for about 2 months i went on holiday and all was fine but after a day out i parked the car up and did some sightseeing . When i got back to the car i put the keys in the ignition and attempted to start the car but it was just dead. strange thing was the radio was working and all the dash board seemed ok. I retried to start the car several times but nothing . i must say i was starting to panic so tried once more and the car started.
i put it down to just one of those things then last weekend i went to my local shop came back to the car and again it would not start exactly the same as before .This time the car started after about 3 times of trying . once again i hoped it was just one of those things.
Now this week i was taking my dog for his weekend run around a local forest and stopped for fuel. Once again when i went back to the car tried to start it and again it was dead. i tried several times but this time it would just not start. I had to be pushed off the forecourt and was about to call breakdown when i tried the key again and this time it started .
Its been fine since but im afraid i will do it again sometime soon.
Could this be an immobilizer issue?..Ive changed the battery in the key fob just to be on the safe side but the issues is so random its hard to know if it will ever happen again. Thing is when the car is running it runs great no problems at all.
Is there a light on the dashboard to indicate if the immobilizer is actually stopping the car from starting?
Any ideas would be most appreciated as i feel if i was to take it to a dealer the car would just keep starting so they would not find the issue just charge me premium for the pleasure of trying

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont know if this will help but try your second key,when these keys get worn the immobiliser might not recognise the key. The misses had this trouble with her mazda mx5. Best of luck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The fob battery only does the remote functions. The immobiliser is via a passive RFID chip in the fob with a transmitter/receiver in the steering column.
Possible the chip is weak, or the tx/rx is weak. If so trying the second key should narrow that down.

You're right about the dealers, sadly. However, it's worth asking as 2015 was the first year and there have been a lot of software updates on these cars to fix various issues. It's possible this is known.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
I would also suggest the possibility that the shifter interlock is coming into play. I have been able to, a couple times, manage to get the "you aren't in park fully" warning on shutdown and still get the key out of the ignition on autopilot because the interlock has never been what I might call a precision instrument. A little hang up has been normal, and I have it down how to finesse it out. Some finesse, muscle, and impatience can beat or defeat the lockout/retention mechanism.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello...iam a recent jeep owner and new to this forum . I purchased a Renegade Longitude diesel 2015 about 4 months ago and so far it as been not too bad.
After owning the car for about 2 months i went on holiday and all was fine but after a day out i parked the car up and did some sightseeing . When i got back to the car i put the keys in the ignition and attempted to start the car but it was just dead. strange thing was the radio was working and all the dash board seemed ok. I retried to start the car several times but nothing . i must say i was starting to panic so tried once more and the car started.
i put it down to just one of those things then last weekend i went to my local shop came back to the car and again it would not start exactly the same as before .This time the car started after about 3 times of trying . once again i hoped it was just one of those things.
Now this week i was taking my dog for his weekend run around a local forest and stopped for fuel. Once again when i went back to the car tried to start it and again it was dead. i tried several times but this time it would just not start. I had to be pushed off the forecourt and was about to call breakdown when i tried the key again and this time it started .
Its been fine since but im afraid i will do it again sometime soon.
Could this be an immobilizer issue?..Ive changed the battery in the key fob just to be on the safe side but the issues is so random its hard to know if it will ever happen again. Thing is when the car is running it runs great no problems at all.
Is there a light on the dashboard to indicate if the immobilizer is actually stopping the car from starting?
Any ideas would be most appreciated as i feel if i was to take it to a dealer the car would just keep starting so they would not find the issue just charge me premium for the pleasure of trying
I am having this exact same problem with my wifes 2015 Renegade. Did you find out what the problem was? I pretty sure it isnt the key so im thinking the transponder / receiver in the dash board.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I am having this exact same problem with my wifes 2015 Renegade. Did you find out what the problem was? I pretty sure it isnt the key so im thinking the transponder / receiver in the dash board.
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

I would check the vehicle battery first. Have it load tested and not just check for voltage. If the battery is weak, it won't even try to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts