Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the 6 speed in the Renegade? I'm assuming it's the same as in the Dart. I'm curious to know how well it shifts, how the engagement is, etc.
Hi,

I tested both the 1.4 petrol and 1.6 diesel six-speed manuals before making my decision and can only attest how smooth the transmission is. It's the same transmission as will be used in the Fiat 500X. A number of reviews of both cars have praised the tranmission, manual as well as automatic.

I found that the 1.4 had pretty sluggish acceleration and ran out of steam beyond 70 mph on the motorway. The 1.6 diesel was much punchier, although I found the ratio between 1st and 2nd to be very short indeed, so rapid getaways from junctions will need some planning of footwork unless you want to be really hitting the high revs in 1st.

Just let me know if you want any more info.

Richard

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wonder how the tune in an EU Renegade 1.4T vs an US Dart 1.4T vs am US Renegade 1.4T differs, my Dart 1.4T DDCT has been quite a bit above (near 90) 70 MPH and still felt it could give more if needed. I did add a short air intake but that shouldn't impact the top end too much.

Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how the tune in an EU Renegade 1.4T vs an US Dart 1.4T vs am US Renegade 1.4T differs, my Dart 1.4T DDCT has been quite a bit above (near 90) 70 MPH and still felt it could give more if needed. I did add a short air intake but that shouldn't impact the top end too much.

Scott
A quick google search shows that the European 1.4 has 140hp vs 160hp in the US. I also know that the turbos are different between Euro/US models of other 1.4L models (eg Dart, Abarth) so I would assume its the same story with the Renegade.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
A quick google search shows that the European 1.4 has 140hp vs 160hp in the US. I also know that the turbos are different between Euro/US models of other 1.4L models (eg Dart, Abarth) so I would assume its the same story with the Renegade.
14% more power is a lot considering only 140 to start with. I'll know if it is enough once I get to drive one.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Did some calculating and I can say the manual US 1.4T at 65mph in 6th gear will be turning 2250 rpm. Should be relatively quiet for long trips.

Passing at 65 mph, I (by calculations) could downshift directly to 4th and yet only be turning about 3400. Should be better settled in the powerband for passing on an expressway.

I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
With the peak torque of the 1.4T around the 2-3,000 range, it should pull nicely on the highway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I test drove a Dart with the 1.4 and 6-speed a couple of years ago. I had no issues getting up to speed - was up to 80 before I knew it. Some Dart owners have said that 1-2 shift is difficult/short. I just gave it extra gas since I've been driving an automatic since 2003. Yeah, I chirped the tires, but I did not want to stall it. That would have been embarrassing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.