Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first mod for my 2016 latitude. With the help of a mechanic friend these went on easy. These are from Amazon and ran about $150. Make sure you get the right size and quality. You don’t want them cracking and a wheel coming off. Also needed to buy short lug bolts to attach the spacer. I don’t feel a difference in the ride but they do add something to the look. They will also help when I get larger tires. Before and after pics

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my second mod. AEM cold air intake. Again my mechanic friend helped me install this in about 2 hours. It increased the noise of the engine when you gas it but it also gave me some “get up and go“! I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it moves now! The kit was off Amazon and costs about $329. It had all the parts needed and good instructions.
DF3EB7E9-A1B9-44C8-BD20-A6158A760D4C.jpeg

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here is my second mod. AEM cold air intake. Again my mechanic friend helped me install this in about 2 hours. It increased the noise of the engine when you gas it but it also gave me some “get up and go“! I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it moves now! The kit was off Amazon and costs about $329. It had all the parts needed and good instructions. View attachment 2396350625
Very cool, ty for sharing

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
718 Posts
This is the first mod for my 2016 latitude. With the help of a mechanic friend these went on easy. These are from Amazon and ran about $150. Make sure you get the right size and quality. You don’t want them cracking and a wheel coming off. Also needed to buy short lug bolts to attach the spacer. I don’t feel a difference in the ride but they do add something to the look. They will also help when I get larger tires. Before and after pics View attachment 2396350622 View attachment 2396350623
I always enjoy before and after pics. Looks much better now!

Here’s 1-1/4” from the rear for kicks and grins..

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
718 Posts
Here is my second mod. AEM cold air intake. Again my mechanic friend helped me install this in about 2 hours. It increased the noise of the engine when you gas it but it also gave me some “get up and go“! I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it moves now! The kit was off Amazon and costs about $329. It had all the parts needed and good instructions. View attachment 2396350625
Looks great! The other day I saw a guy wrap his intake tube with exhaust wrap to keep the air as cool as possible. I thought that was a pretty clever idea.

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts
Nice start keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering where this "Cold Air Intake" finds the cold air from under the hood of the engine compartment? Seems like it would be drawing much less dense hot air instead.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The "cold" air in the engine compartment is still way cooler then the operating temperature of the engine thus the term. But maybe you were being facetious and joking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering where this "Cold Air Intake" finds the cold air from under the hood of the engine compartment? Seems like it would be drawing much less dense hot air instead.
Hey mxro, good question. Here are my thoughts which are in no way based in any automotive experience. First off the name “cold air intake” is deceiving. The air it lets in is not some how all of a sudden 30 degree air. But it is slightly less warm then the air using the stock intake. The reason for this seems to be in the second reason, the kit has you move the air sensor from just before where the air goes into the engine to at the tip of the new air filter. This is telling the computer the temp of the air and so determining how much fuel to dump into the engine based on that temp. Which will be slightly less warm then before with the stock intake, since it has less time to travel through hot piping and slow down in a restrictive air box. And third the amount of air that is being dumped into the engine is increased significantly. And lastly there is a cowling around the filter to shield it from the heat of the engine and it has a direct path to the ground next to the engine where “cold” air can come up into the engine bay. This is where it seems to be the slight increase in torque/power/speed come from. And NOISE. Now that the air intake is much shorter there is more noise coming out through the short intake pipe when you get on the gas pedal.
hope that is a reasonable take on if the air is “colder”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey mxro, good question. Here are my thoughts which are in no way based in any automotive experience. First off the name “cold air intake” is deceiving. The air it lets in is not some how all of a sudden 30 degree air. But it is slightly less warm then the air using the stock intake. The reason for this seems to be in the second reason, the kit has you move the air sensor from just before where the air goes into the engine to at the tip of the new air filter. This is telling the computer the temp of the air and so determining how much fuel to dump into the engine based on that temp. Which will be slightly less warm then before with the stock intake, since it has less time to travel through hot piping and slow down in a restrictive air box. And third the amount of air that is being dumped into the engine is increased significantly. And lastly there is a cowling around the filter to shield it from the heat of the engine and it has a direct path to the ground next to the engine where “cold” air can come up into the engine bay. This is where it seems to be the slight increase in torque/power/speed come from. And NOISE. Now that the air intake is much shorter there is more noise coming out through the short intake pipe when you get on the gas pedal.
hope that is a reasonable take on if the air is “colder”
The air that the stock intake setup breathes in comes from the front bumper area. It is going to be far cooler than any air drawn in from under the hood since that air has passed through the radiator and then picked up any other heat from the engine itself. I'm sure the air tubing is less restrictive on the aftermarket intake system. But it is not a "Cold Air Intake" since engine bays can reach 200 deg F.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The air that the stock intake setup breathes in comes from the front bumper area. It is going to be far cooler than any air drawn in from under the hood since that air has passed through the radiator and then picked up any other heat from the engine itself. I'm sure the air tubing is less restrictive on the aftermarket intake system. But it is not a "Cold Air Intake" since engine bays can reach 200 deg F.
Well it sounds like your the expert. 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well it sounds like your the expert. 👍
Sorry Ryan, didn't mean to come off like an expert... I'm just trying understand how these systems work and if there really is any benefit. Have you had a chance to check the fuel economy numbers yet? That would be interesting... of course, if it's producing more power maybe your foot is in the pedal a little deeper for the grin factor so the numbers will be skewed a bit? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Ryan, didn't mean to come off like an expert... I'm just trying understand how these systems work and if there really is any benefit. Have you had a chance to check the fuel economy numbers yet? That would be interesting... of course, if it's producing more power maybe your foot is in the pedal a little deeper for the grin factor so the numbers will be skewed a bit? :)
Friend I’m not here to debate the efficacy of an after market air intake. I’ve been driving for many years and have had many different cars, enough to know when I’m putting my foot into it or not. Is there a placebo effect with the Cold Air Intake? I imagine so. Have I put it on a Dyno to check for a measurable difference? No. But I’m not trying to convince you of anything, only here to share my love for my Rene not debate. If you want the science behind it I suggest you google the topic, cause it seems like this forum is about everyday peoples opinions who are tooling with their Jeep’s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Friend I’m not here to debate the efficacy of an after market air intake. I’ve been driving for many years and have had many different cars, enough to know when I’m putting my foot into it or not. Is there a placebo effect with the Cold Air Intake? I imagine so. Have I put it on a Dyno to check for a measurable difference? No. But I’m not trying to convince you of anything, only here to share my love for my Rene not debate. If you want the science behind it I suggest you google the topic, cause it seems like this forum is about everyday peoples opinions who are tooling with their Jeep’s.
Fo' Sho'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts