Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car Tire Vehicle Sky Vehicle registration plate

So after doing some research with barely any info to find, I ended up finding 3 options and this is what I noticed:
Option 1 - Goto Dealership but they are charging me $1400 for parts and install (way out of my budget).
Option 2 - purchase from Renegade Ready but they had the kit for almost $800 (still a little too pricey for me),
Option 3 - Purchase the parts online.. So I decided to purchase the hitch kit from the CDJR dealership website near me and had it sent to them so I didn't have to pay shipping. I payed $468 for hitch, and $50 for bezel. I ordered curt wiring harness from Amazon warehouse for $20 and wired that to harness that comes attached to hitch. All in all I payed roughly $570. Now I have to admit installing everything was easy and time consuming but cutting into the bumper is very nerve recking at first. I made my own template using cardboard box and added it to bumper after I put bumper back on and cut little square hole to let hitch head through. After that I cut the square into a triangle going toward the wiring connector. I them put cardboard onto the back of the bezel and placed a level on to of the bezel and lined everything up after that I removed bumper and spent the next 2 hours delicately cutting into the bumper with a oscillating multi tool and a rotary tool. I must say I am very pleased with the results! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(y) Good Job. Looks... factory. :D

One question? does the connector for the trailer work?
It may require the dealer to enable the trailer harness through the BCM is why I am asking.
Thank you!
Using the Curt harness worked fine for me because it has a connection that you connect to each tail light (no computer check showed) , then the power line that you run to battery. I didn't go with factory harness to avoid that problem because the factory harness has to be programed to the computer. The route I went with was simple plug and play (other then stripping wires to connect to factory 4way hitch adapter) because I honestly don't need the smart hitch function.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts