Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the hitch kit and the upgraded wiring. I went really slow and took ~82 pictures during the install in case there was any interest in a SUPER detailed tutorial. I mean like you have never used a torque wrench or jack stand before detailed. I really think anyone can do this if you have the time and patience.

The cross bars are knock off whispbars. I know people have varying opinions about the knock offs but they were $55 shipped. Even with my pro deals to various rack companies, that price cannot be beat. Right now the bars are spaced pretty far apart which works fine for my surfboards and kayaks. I did this so that I wouldn't block any of my view out of the MySky. The spacing is too far for my cargo box, but the bars are pretty easy to move and I won't be worrying about my view with a cargo box on top!

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sweet work! Would you link to the bars, please? Maybe confirm the size and all?

Thanks!

Rick
Here are the ones I bought. I did "make an offer" of $55 and it was immediately accepted...which makes me wonder if I could have made a different offer but I am happy with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151742905626?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You want size A. NOT C. Whispbars website says size S46 fits the Renny, and all the eBay sellers list the S46 as size C which will NOT fit the Renny. Others made this mistake. You 100% want the size A 105-111cm size.

· Registered
753 Posts
Awesome job on the hitch install. I agree, the RenegadeReady instructions were pretty spot-on. Installed mine a couple weekends ago.

I bought the same cross bars, just from a different seller.

"Length:A fits 105~111cm vehicles" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/171947405820

Dipped mine black.

They are a very snug and sturdy fit. Much better than the style I originally installed last summer. And less wind-noise than the last set I had as well.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh man I didn't even think to plasti dip them black! Totally doing that this summer. I have to take them off anyway to move them closer together for my cargo box to help move some stuff for my mom. I have them spaced right now all the way apart one in each of those two little gaps on the factory rails. That way it doesn't block my view out of the MySky, but my surfboard and kayak still can span that distance. I noticed it also cut down on the wind buffeting from the panels being open!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome job on the hitch install. I agree, the RenegadeReady instructions were pretty spot-on. Installed mine a couple weekends ago.

I bought the same cross bars, just from a different seller.

"Length:A fits 105~111cm vehicles" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/171947405820

Dipped mine black.

They are a very snug and sturdy fit. Much better than the style I originally installed last summer. And less wind-noise than the last set I had as well.
Did you dip the rubber too and not worry about it, tape it off or what?

· Registered
753 Posts
Did you dip the rubber too and not worry about it, tape it off or what?
I took the ends off, and the rubber-ish strip from the middle out, before spraying.

Afterwards, while reinstalling the ends and then the cargo cage, I ended up dinging the 'dip in a couple places anyways. I probably should have just used flat-black spray paint - it likely would have held up better.

I wasn't 100% sure I'd like them black, which is why I chose 'dip in the first place. I'll probably do things over sometime during the summer months, I'm sure, using flat-black spray paint instead of 'dip. :)

· Registered
155 Posts
Can anyone who ordered the Renegade ready hitch bumper kit tek me exactly what they got? I ordered the kit with wiring harness...and while there are some wires attached to the bumper, I was expecting some unattached wires. Second, I was under the impression that the kit came with a template that could be placed on the bumper facia. I got none.

· Registered
155 Posts
Expect a second, smaller box in a day or two following the large box.

The large box included the bumper with a harness attached, the bolts and such, and the bezel. A couple days later I received a smaller box with instructions, the template, and the actual wiring harness kit.
Chris, thanks! That would explain it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.