Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am installing a brake controller on my latitude for pulling a boat. Rene pulls great, just worried if someone pulls out in front of me. Everything has gone well until I need a brake switch connection. Just can't get to that switch.
There has been threads here and elsewhere about this, unfortunately none have posted replies on what they ended up doing. Center brake light, or another hook up point. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I'm the first to figure this out, so here is what I did.
First I removed the driver side seat to get a good view under the dash.
Now you can see the brake switch way up there. Grab the large part of it and turn it 1/8 turn and slide it out of the hole.
Now it hangs down so that you can get to the wires.
The trigger is the stripped green wire on the opposite end from the red one.
Reinstall and you have it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guess I'm the first to figure this out, so here is what I did.
First I removed the driver side seat to get a good view under the dash.
Now you can see the brake switch way up there. Grab the large part of it and turn it 1/8 turn and slide it out of the hole.
Now it hangs down so that you can get to the wires.
The trigger is the stripped green wire on the opposite end from the red one.
Reinstall and you have it.

Thanks for this, I plan on installing a brake controller soon on the TH for pulling a small [email protected] teardrop trailer. Always good to get help from the community!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your post makes no sense, what wire do you use for the controller? what year vehicle are you doing , From what I understand 2016 jeep renegades need a rf controlled brake controller attached onto the trailer itself to operate electronic brakes, due to the fact that all light functions brake, turn signals ,flashers are routed thru the main computer module. I have a rf brake ontroller on my popup unit and it works great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First let me say I wouldn't do this on my Jeep Renegade , according to Chrysler Corp all braking lights are routed on the renegade thru your master computer system (all electrical components). They also say changing any braking line voids your factory warranty! Meaning that should you over power this and it glitches your computer block ,your on the hook for it and they run about 1500 bucks plus labor to install.
Alot of European cars BMW,Audi ,Saab as well as Fiat have this problem and are being outfitted with Tekonsha Prodigy Rf 90250 setup. This unit connects to your trailer 1,2,3 axle braking and uses an rf signal to clone your brake pedal to the trailer braking. I installed one and it works very well!! This requires a 30 amp ,12 volt wire to be pulled from the Renegades battery to the 7 pin hook up cable near your hitch receiver. Unit is plugged into the 7 pin plug and then the controller is plugged into your 12 volt cig plug in cab and cloned per the instructions. Once cloned the trailer may be plugged in and your ready to set your brakes. Works well and will not damage your computer module. The only part of this is that the unit itself is about twice the cost of a standard brake control device but in the long run a couple hundred sure beats replacing a cmp module at 1500 +labor

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
YTBDEJ... thanks for that info on getting the brake signal.

TheHawk... I'm not sure you fully understand what a brake controller is. Which is probably why you asked why you need a brake signal... as for the Tekonsha Prodigy Rf 90250 you mention, you STILL need a tap into the brake signal. Otherwise the brake controller has no idea you are applying brakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TheHawk... I looked further into the Tekonsha Prodigy Rf 90250 you mentioned. It is in fact a very nice product, offers a very clean OEM looking install,and i will be going that route instead of the traditional controller method. To clarify the Tekonesha Prodigy does not need a brake signal from the tow vehicle as I initially believed. The Tekonsha Prodigy does some internal computer magic to determine when brakes are needed on the trailer which is why it does not need a brake signal. This rightly alleviates your concern for modifying the factory wiring. You sir do know what a brake controller is and thank you for recommending the Tekonsha Prodigy Rf 90250.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tekonsha Prodigy Rf 90250 lives on your trailer and is hard wired to the brakes via a 7 wire trailer connector. You don't need any wires at the dash. You do need a 7 wire socket on the rear of your renegade, which requires plugging into your right and left turn signals, stop lights, backup lights, tail lights, ground and battery. Most US cars have the turns and stop on the same wire. There is no need for a 'brake controller signal' wire since the stop signal lets the controller know you put on the brakes. It is proportional, so the controllers acceleratorometer can inform the controller about the braking force detected on the trailer.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/90250-tekonsha-prodigy-rf-trailer-mounted-electronic-brake-controller/

·
Registered
1 Posts
thehawk.... Thank you for this post I almost install a under the dash model, I canceled that order and ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy. It looks so much easier, and I am sure it's the best for my TH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts