Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are the lights on when I got home from testing.

View attachment 2396354598
Hey that looks really nice! Thank you for the detailed instructions. BTW can you link me the ebay seller that sold that? I actually am planning to do the same thing on my 2021 trailhawk but i was having a hard time finding aftermarket headlight assemblies since most don't make 2021+.
Appreciate it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yup. I've never really looked to see how the low- and high-beams are formed in my LED headlights. But you're correct.

For those that might not be familiar with the current LED headlights, it's really hard to tell what's going on from a photo looking at the lights when they're on, in any mode. Here's what mine look like, off:
View attachment 2396354610

There are three sectons of the light. When the headlight is on, the LED bulb behind the central round lens lights up, of course; as well as the entire horizontal rectangle/trapezoid across the center -- I think that's to throw light left and right:
View attachment 2396354612

Also on all the time, specifically on low beam, is the upper part -- I assume through some kind of shutter:
View attachment 2396354613

As Ericcloe indicates, that portion of the beam is reflected downward onto the road surface; while the sharp horizontal cut-off is maintained from the central part of the light. Those two parts together form the low beam.

When the high beam is switched on (or when the flash-to-pass is activated), the lower part is also on, along with the other two parts:
View attachment 2396354614

That reflects light straight ahead for the high beam, overriding the horizontal cut-off. Note the roadway is still illuminated, which results in a very nice overall beam.

So, Ericcloe, I hope you're right -- that activating the BCM for LED headlights will enable the high beams properly...
Thanks for looking into it. I'm still waiting on the grey cable lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey that looks really nice! Thank you for the detailed instructions. BTW can you link me the ebay seller that sold that? I actually am planning to do the same thing on my 2021 trailhawk but i was having a hard time finding aftermarket headlight assemblies since most don't make 2021+.
Appreciate it!
I bought them used on different listings on eBay. I just filtered genuine OEM and searched LED

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
OK,. that's very interesting. I assume your LED function is normal for the Chinese market?

Because it sure looks like you high beam only uses the bottom part of the headlight reflector (red outline here)...
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

...remembering that the bottom part gets reflected upward for the high beam.

On our North American market LED lights, the low-beam portions (the center rectangle and the upper reflector) stay on with high beams -- and also with flash-to-pass. So all of this -- the entire headlight -- is on...
Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

...and the roadway stays illuminated.

I think it used to be, in the European market, that low beams and high beams couldn't be on at the same time. If there were separate high-beam reflectors, the low-beam reflectors would turn off when the high beams were switched on. (Nev...?)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
And I can't be sure, but it looks like your Chinese-market low-beam horizontal cut-off has a "kink" or step-up in it, where the right half of the beam is a bit higher than the left half -- so that right side of the road is illuminated a bit farther (the "kink" or step-up is at the red arrow):
Plant Automotive lighting Leaf Natural landscape Road surface

That's also very typical for European- (and rest-of-the world) market cut-offs; and it's very common here too with good headlights.

However, on U.S.-market Renegade with LED headlights, the low-beam cut-off is straight and horizontal -- no "kink."[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And I can't be sure, but it looks like your Chinese-market low-beam horizontal cut-off has a "kink" or step-up in it, where the right half of the beam is a bit higher than the left half -- so that right side of the road is illuminated a bit farther (the "kink" or step-up is at the red arrow):
View attachment 2396354652

That's also very typical for European- (and rest-of-the world) market cut-offs; and it's very common here too with good headlights.

However, on U.S.-market Renegade with LED headlights, the low-beam cut-off is straight and horizontal -- no "kink."
[/QUOTE]
It looks like in his post his works just like mine but he is sending voltage to the high beam with the low beam by installing a button to enable to high beams with the lows on. So it doesn't tell you high beams are on in the dash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It looks like in his post his works just like mine but he is sending voltage to the high beam with the low beam by installing a button to enable to high beams with the lows on. So it doesn't tell you high beams are on in the dash.
[/QUOTE]
Method 1:
Open this device and ur will see the PCB ,change HW circuit,deceiving BCM computer . So when u open high beam switch that headlight will turn on low & hi LED group and in the dash screen u will see the turn on logo.
Tool Bicycle part Auto part Watch accessory Font

Method 2
pin 5 is low beam driver,pin 7 is hi beam driver,use the diode connect them together like :
Font Circuit component Auto part Circle Drawing

Automotive lighting Purple Grey Violet Vehicle

1:daytime running light
2:GND
3:ACC
4:GND
5:LOW BEAM
7:HI BEAM
Blue Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue

·
Registered
47 Posts
View attachment 2396354652

However, on U.S.-market Renegade with LED headlights, the low-beam cut-off is straight and horizontal -- no "kink."
[/QUOTE]
U right!
China 2019 renegade LED headlight same as European,They are the one.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It looks like in his post his works just like mine
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Here are yours right now...
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Plant

...and here are CN-jeeper-K's:
Automotive lighting Car Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Plant

It doesn't look like the low-beam portion is illuminated with the high-beam part, for either of you guys, when you push the left stalk forward to the high-beam position. And it should be.

I assume CN-jeeper-K is also retrofitting the LED headlights into his Renegade that was originally equipped with reflectors, like you are.

But it works like it should when the stalk is pulled to activate flash-to-pass (which what I thought CN-jeeper-K's "button" is...).

I'm glad you're making good progress on this. But, man, I wish (for other people's sakes) that it was more plug-and-play... :rolleyes:

And don't feed the trolls... ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Here are yours right now...
View attachment 2396354711

...and here are CN-jeeper-K's:
View attachment 2396354710

It doesn't look like the low-beam portion is illuminated with the high-beam part, for either of you guys, when you push the left stalk forward to the high-beam position. And it should be.

I assume CN-jeeper-K is also retrofitting the LED headlights into his Renegade that was originally equipped with reflectors, like you are.

But it works like it should when the stalk is pulled to activate flash-to-pass (which what I thought CN-jeeper-K's "button" is...).

I'm glad you're making good progress on this. But, man, I wish (for other people's sakes) that it was more plug-and-play... :rolleyes:

And don't feed the trolls... ;)
Ya me too. I finally received confirmation that my grey cable shipped. I'll see what happens after it is programmed. I'm sure I'm going to have to add wires to my headlight connector to get it working like OEM.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts