Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I checked this board, and for the most part everything has been going good. I have had 2 new issues that have occured several times since then and I wanted to post here to report them. These are going to be hard things to show the dealer because they always seem to fix themeselves.

1) Instrument Panel Blinking -- The fuel level and temperature levels blink. This has occured about 3-4 times and each seems to just fix itself after turning off and on the engine after driving for a bit (just turning off and on the engine does not solve it). See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fxZOK0FDg

2) Turn Signals Stuck On -- I will put on my blinker in one direction and when I click it back to the middle after changing a lane, the other side blinker turns on, then I turn it again to the middle and other side on. I think even one time, both blinkers were on, but I can't remember for sure. So, it may be more that the blinker is missing the center point; however, it is locked in the middle position and still it stays on. This has occured about 3-4 times now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2) Turn Signals Stuck On -- I will put on my blinker in one direction and when I click it back to the middle after changing a lane, the other side blinker turns on, then I turn it again to the middle and other side on. I think even one time, both blinkers were on, but I can't remember for sure. So, it may be more that the blinker is missing the center point; however, it is locked in the middle position and still it stays on. This has occured about 3-4 times now.
I have had this too -- Hasn't been bothersome enough to take it in for repair, but curious if anyone else has actually complained to a dealer or had a fix?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had this too -- Hasn't been bothersome enough to take it in for repair, but curious if anyone else has actually complained to a dealer or had a fix?
I haven't taken it to the dealer. I usually just yell at it for a bit and it fixes itself. Haha. If it continues, I might, but I have a feeling they will be like, "sorry, we can't replicate the issue, so we have no way to provide a fix".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some people had the same issue with the JK when they first got it. Check out this video starting around the 30 second mark. If you hit the lever too hard when turning it off then you'll accidentally activate the opposite blinker....then when you try to turn off the opposite then you'll activate the other blinker...never ending spiral until you don't hit it where it'll stop on it's own.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I've had this. I have broken down it's cause and how to stop it.

It happens if you put the turn signal on, make a turn, but the turn is not significant enough to cause it to auto cancel, and you pop it back to the "neutral" middle position manually. Except that if you do that, there is no middle neutral position, any direction it gets pushed from then on sets the signal in that direction.

The way(s) to get back out of it that I have found so far.

1) turn car off and back on.

2) put the signal on in any direction and make a turn sharp enough to auto cancel it without your input.

I don't think anything physical is defective. I think someone wrote some bad code and it is a software bug.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
This happened to me on the freeway yesterday. I forget what I did to get it to stop, but it stopped after I fiddled with it for a while. I was mostly concerned that people behind me probably thought I was nuts.

Reactions: aardvark

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I forget what I did to get it to stop, but it stopped after I fiddled with it for a while.
Same here. Happened to me once when I hit the blinker by mistake. I just kept messing with it for a few seconds since I wasn't coming up to a turn that would auto cancel it, anyway, I eventually got it to "balance" out and it stopped.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Isn't there a "lane change" feature on the blinkers - so you just tap it instead of clicking it on all the way - maybe when you try to click it off, you are accidentally activating that feature in the other direction.
Yes, it will blink 5 times when you partially move and then let go of the turn signal lever.

Reactions: repete7

·
Registered
55 Posts
Isn't there a "lane change" feature on the blinkers - so you just tap it instead of clicking it on all the way - maybe when you try to click it off, you are accidentally activating that feature in the other direction.
Yes, it will blink 5 times when you partially move and then let go of the turn signal lever.

Affirmative - which was the purpose of the youtube video that I posted. Several had the same issue with the JK accidentally hitting the "lane change" when trying to cancel the turn.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
"accidentally hitting the "lane change" when trying to cancel the turn"

. . . But maybe the lane change function is a little too sensitive on some cars. I wonder if the micro-switch in the steering column in adjustable.

Mine is okay; I tried to cause it to happen by manually "un-clicking" the turn signal to see if the opposite side would flash, but it didn't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1) Instrument Panel Blinking -- The fuel level and temperature levels blink. This has occured about 3-4 times and each seems to just fix itself after turning off and on the engine after driving for a bit (just turning off and on the engine does not solve it). See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fxZOK0FDg
This exact thing happened to me last night. I was out for a short drive. It was raining pretty good and I have no idea when it started.

This was also paired with the Active Braking Off light. Which is odd... because I'm pretty sure I don't have that feature installed. I will have to check.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"accidentally hitting the "lane change" when trying to cancel the turn"

. . . But maybe the lane change function is a little too sensitive on some cars. I wonder if the micro-switch in the steering column in adjustable.

Mine is okay; I tried to cause it to happen by manually "un-clicking" the turn signal to see if the opposite side would flash, but it didn't.
That's what is happening here. I turn on the blinker and when I go to switch it off I guess I am activating the "lane change" feature by pushing it back a little too far. I didn't even know about this feature before this post, so I thought something was wrong. Turns out, it does turn off after 5 blinks, but I never waited that long, just kept switching it back and forth trying to turn it off.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had the turn signal thing happen in a weird way a few times. Doing the 'lane change' thing and it just won't shut off. So I'm not fully engaging the turn signal, just holding it down for a few seconds, but then it won't shut off on it's own and then going the other way to try to nullify engages the other direction. I realize now that going the other way activates instead of nullifying, but the original problem of it sticking still occurred. Annoying as **** and I'm sure other drivers thought I was crazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.