Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple insurance quotes on a Renegade Limited last night. Both Progressive & Geico couldn't pull up info via VIN and gave me generic price quotes that they would honor.

I asked if I went the TrailHawk route if there would be a difference. The best answer I received was it can be a significant increase but they don't know. Not very helpful.

Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
610 Posts
There shouldn't be much of an increase between the two trims. Between them there is majority parts commonality and insurance premiums are based on the following factors:

- driver age and gender (as if women are safer drivers…)
- number of drivers sharing the vehicle
- driver record (each of them, if more than one)
- cost of replacement parts (despite having different trim, both are still Renegades)
- total cost of vehicle
- insurance company voodoo/greed

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was researching this as well. But only my current car to a Trailhawk. I currently drive a kia Sportage and pay $665yr, or about $56 a month. My agent said with a base model Trailhawk, id be looking at $821yr, or about $68 a month. They don't necessarily go off what model you buy, but the total cost of the vehicle. Not sure if this helps, but its my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
One other thought… if you are happy with your current insurance provider and have been with them for some time, there is little reason to switch to another. Switching often can actually hurt your insurance rating and cost you more money. Most of them have loyalty discounts.

I've had State Farm since I started driving… decades ago and so far no one else can come close to matching or offering lower rates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vehicle doesn't really matter in this case. I bought a trailhawk, had it for 4 days - made the dealer give me a limited instead - due to idle issues, a stall - I wasn't going to have it on a new vehicle. The insurance didn't chance a dime when I switched from a base Trailhawk to a fully loaded (minus mysky/nav) Limited. The cost of the vehicles were almost identical - so like it was stated above, purchase price has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something I learned last night for those looking to lease. My current provider (Geico) does not provide gap insurance for leasing. Progressive was slightly cheaper and offers gap insurance up to 25% of the value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something I learned last night for those looking to lease. My current provider (Geico) does not provide gap insurance for leasing. Progressive was slightly cheaper and offers gap insurance up to 25% of the value.
Many lease companies automatically include GAP coverage as part of the lease, so you may not need this from your auto insurance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Got a couple insurance quotes on a Renegade Limited last night. Both Progressive & Geico couldn't pull up info via VIN and gave me generic price quotes that they would honor.

I asked if I went the TrailHawk route if there would be a difference. The best answer I received was it can be a significant increase but they don't know. Not very helpful.

Anyone have any input?
Before my TrailHawk I was driving a 12 year old Nissan Sentra worth $1500.

My insurance costs went up $8 a month when I switched to the TrailHawk.

A new $30k (approximately) car costs $8 more per month on insurance...

I covered the cost by lowering our T-Mobile bill by $40 (and doubled the available data for each phone).

Does that help?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
One other thought… if you are happy with your current insurance provider and have been with them for some time, there is little reason to switch to another. Switching often can actually hurt your insurance rating and cost you more money. Most of them have loyalty discounts.

I've had State Farm since I started driving… decades ago and so far no one else can come close to matching or offering lower rates.
Or they decide to jack your rates because they know you won't leave. I've had state farm forever, they started doing this to me so it is time to shop around and see what I can get.

Any difference between a limited and TH will largely come down to what the difference is in MSRP.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I was researching this as well. But only my current car to a Trailhawk. I currently drive a kia Sportage and pay $665yr, or about $56 a month. My agent said with a base model Trailhawk, id be looking at $821yr, or about $68 a month. They don't necessarily go off what model you buy, but the total cost of the vehicle. Not sure if this helps, but its my 2 cents. :)
Or they decide to jack your rates because they know you won't leave. I've had state farm forever, they started doing this to me so it is time to shop around and see what I can get.
You know, I'm starting to believe this. I read this and the other insurance thread and I am amaze how much I'm paying compared to other folks. Granted, every state, model and locale is different thus resulting on what one pays. But still.

I pay $220. a month on a $1293.00 6 month premium on a Santa Fe with Geico. That's after discounts on a $1630 policy. Been with them for ages and it used to be $185 a month. When I see $665 a year in posts, I feel like sticking my head in the sand.
:crying:

TS

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got a quote for insuring a TH in Michigan.

Now first, keep in mind Michigan has high insurance rates. Also, we have a $189 per car fee for unlimited medical coverage.

The quote for a 41 year-old driver with no claims in the past 6 years and no tickets was $1168. The same coverage for my current 2005 Ford escape was $805. My wife is 31 and has a 2015 Equinox (fwd) and her insurance is $927.

To clarify, the quotes do not include our stat's mandatory $189 per vehicle assessment. They are for full coverage with $500 collision deductible and $100 non-collision deductible (chipped glass, road hazard, etc.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.