Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more informative than anything.

My Fiance got a check engine light on her Renegade. I checked it to find it was a P0113 which translates to "intake air temp circuit high input."(IAT sensor for short) I expected a fluke so I cleared the code and 2 days later it came on again.

Time for a better look. I got under the hood and checked the temperature sensor itself and the wiring visually then checked the connection to make sure everything was alright. Everything looked alright so I started looking for possible chafe points on the circuit. There weren't any concerning points in the circuit so I put everything back together and checked the function of the system. Everything was working fine. It was not acting up at this time. Can't find a problem with no symptoms to replicate, so I cleared the code again and it has been fine since.

This has all been within the past week. Today, I had a hunch about the sensor having possibly been bad from the factory so I thought I would watch it while driving. (I didn't have time to do this the last time I looked at it.) I started streaming the data and sure enough I noticed that the temp sensor was showing strange temperature readings. The intake temperature should be very steady. At roughly 85 degrees F outside I was getting a steady IAT of about 95 degrees and it would suddenly fall to around 50 degrees and jump back up. This would indicate a problem being that is colder than the air outside! :eek:

I got home and checked the sensor and wiring again focusing on a loose connection or wire chafe. After watching the temp with a scan tool while shaking the circuit I found I could replicate it in the garage. I took apart the connector to check for a loose pin and sure enough the wire came apart in my hand as I was taking the pins out of the connector.

The wires had possibly been pinched during installation at the factory and slowly worked themselves apart. The wires make a very sharp turn into the IAT sensor connector which may become a problem for others.

I am having it fixed tomorrow under warranty.

Moral of the story, if you are getting a P0113 code, take a look at the wiring right at the connector where it bends. It may be broken inside the casing causing an intermittent failure.

Disclaimer: I am a highly trained and highly skilled technician. If you have any concerns about your vehicle while it is under warranty, take it to the dealer so they can fix it under warranty. I do not suggest attempting diagnosis of this type on a vehicle that is under factory warranty unless you also possess vehicle certifications which allow you to do so.

Hope this helps some people.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am having this same issue in my Renegade, do you know what effects this can cause? I am going to call the dealer in the morning to schedule an appointment but all my local dealers seem to usually be booked 3-4 weeks out, so I am unsure if it will be ok to continue driving the vehicle for that long with this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact issue and it got worse after I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the sensor. Now it says a constant negative 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Just in case I may have damaged the sensor unplugging it I went ahead and bought a new one since they're only 20 bucks from Jeep and I'm still having the same issue. How would I take apart the connector to redo the wiring? I'm out of warranty and don't want to pay the dealership fix it for an arm and a leg when it's something as simple as a bad connector but I don't know how to replace it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ended up having the same issue with the wiring. Check engine came on about a year ago and at the time I just kindof jiggled the wires, reset the code, and it didn't come up again until about 2 weeks ago. This time, I'd clear the code and it'd come back on immediately after starting the engine again. Bought a new sensor and changed it out, did not make a difference - Live diagnostics just had a constant reading of -40 so I figured this was the issue. Was not under the factory warranty anymore, but the extended warranty covered part of it so I ended up paying $100US. The dealer confirmed it was bad/broken wiring inside the casing. Not sure how much it would have cost without the extended warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.