Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally finished up my bike mount and I'm pretty impressed with the outcome. I've used it a couple of times already and the mount keeps the bike in place even on some of the harshest roads. I've also tested it under heavy breaking and quick acceleration with no problems.I'd say this is a great mount for traveling through the city, as for off road I'm not too sure. It only cost about $30 to make. The most expensive part was the skewer mount that I got from amazon. Only downside is having to drop and readjust the seat each time.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello

very nice done. I am waiting for my TH (march), but already planing this addon.
Can you put a photo from the side ? How far to the front of the car is back bikewheel ?
What size is your bike? (my 61 cm)
Would it be posible to mount a bike in opposite direction ? In that case skewer mount could be fixed on the back side of the seat backrest.

appologise for my english, not my first language

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The board is secured by two pieces of velcro that you can find at Home Depot. Just make sure it's industrial strength. The rough part of the velcro is on the board and that catches the carpet on the renegade. However, the velcro is really strong and makes it extremely tough to remove the board. I wouldn't recommend constantly removing and reataching the mount. I haven't tried the non-industrial strength velcro, but that may be something to consider if you plan on making your own that you will constantly remove and reattach.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning moon,

I'm sure it is possible to put the skewer towards the front, however, you will probably have to remove the rear wheel also inorder to close the hatch. Seems like it would be more of a burden to mount the bike that way. I haven't tried it though so idk. You might be visualizing something I cant. I'd like to see what you come up with. My bike is a 54cm. I'm 5'8" and have no problems getting into and out of the passenger seat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The board is secured by two pieces of velcro that you can find at Home Depot. Just make sure it's industrial strength. The rough part of the velcro is on the board and that catches the carpet on the renegade. However, the velcro is really strong and makes it extremely tough to remove the board. I wouldn't recommend constantly removing and reataching the mount. I haven't tried the non-industrial strength velcro, but that may be something to consider if you plan on making your own that you will constantly remove and reattach.
Do you feel the Velcro is strong enough to prevent the bike harming anyone in the event of a collision?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great question. However, i cant give you a 100% guaranteed answer because I really don't have the resources to test that. It seems like In the case of a fender bender or minor collision it would hold up, but as for a full blown collision where the vehicle might be totalled probably not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you feel the Velcro is strong enough to prevent the bike harming anyone in the event of a collision?[/QUOTE]

That's a great question. However, i cant give you a 100% guaranteed answer because I really don't have the resources to test that. It seems like In the case of a fender bender or minor collision it would hold up, but as for a full blown collision where the vehicle might be totalled probably not.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Do you feel the Velcro is strong enough to prevent the bike harming anyone in the event of a collision?
That's a great question. However, i cant give you a 100% guaranteed answer because I really don't have the resources to test that. It seems like In the case of a fender bender or minor collision it would hold up, but as for a full blown collision where the vehicle might be totalled probably not.[/QUOTE]

The renegade has anchor points. You may be able to employ one or more of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted to use the hooks at the rear some how but it looks like the hatch covers them up. Unless the hook on the rear seat that's folded down could provide some extra stability? Sorry im not quoting you im still trying to figure the interface out.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I can see the hooks in your picture.
The cargo securing points are on the hard plastic at the very rear of the cargo area. one on each side. if you secured it to these it would be more secure.

There are also 2 at the front of the cargo area which would help to secure it even more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice. I tried to do this but both our hybrid bikes don't fit, handle bars are a little high. Ended up get a decent 2-bike hitch rack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's funny, I've done the same with my bikes except for free! I'm 5'6" and I ride 50-52cm bikes. Here's what I do when I load:

1 - Drop rear seats flat
2 - Pull the rear headrests up a few clicks
3 - Remove front wheel on bike(s)
4 - Feed the bike in forward-facing. Have to tilt the bike on a diagonal until the seat gets to the higher part of the ceiling.
5 - Place the fork down so it straddles one of the two headrest bars
6 - The handlebars/shifters rest against the backs of the front seats
7 - Use a short bungee (if needed) to keep a bike from moving. You can use any combo of attachment points in the cargo area in conjunction with the seat back lock that's exposed when your seats are folded down. It lines up perfectly with the seat tube on the bike.

This works perfectly for me. Same for both single speed city bikes and cyclocross bikes. I've attached a photo of our single speeds. PLENTY of room for front wheels and extra stuff. I'm really impressed with the cargo volume.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.