Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
A little intro...I've wanted a white jeep wrangler since I was 17. I'm 46. ;) and it still hasn't happened. Just prior to my divorce I was getting one but it felt wrong to get a new vehicle when the marriage was dissolving so....no wrangler. It remains my dream vehicle as it fits my personality perfectly, however, I can't justify it now that I'm in the market due to the low fuel economy and the miles I travel.

I have narrowed down my choices to the Renegade and Escape. I think. :)

Being a single female with three kids I want to make a wise decision as I keep my vehicle for years.

Looking forward to learning more about what you all love about the Renegade and making an informed decision.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. And I love the look of both for completely different reasons. Escape is a classier look whereas the Renegade is more, well, it's a Jeep (nuf said). They both have similar fuel economy. The Escape has more options in the Used Inventory category.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Keep in mind, the Renegade is considered a subcompact SUV and the Escape is considered a small SUV. So, although the Renegade is a nice vehicle with base models starting at attractive prices, if you want to go Jeep brand you might want to consider the Compass or Patriot as well if you want something a little roomier. Those models also start at nice price points compared to other branded vehicles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh..and for a little more money the Cherokee is also a looker that's considered a small SUV. I hear you about the gas mileage on the Wrangler, I like the looks of 'em too but don't like the fuel economy. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Renegade drives spiritedly thanks to its Fiat 500x architecture, has a more formidable all-wheel drive system, and as you mentioned, looks a bit more fun. However, I'd imagine it's a bit too tight for three kids, especially in the cargo department. A compact SUV like Escape may suite your needs better than a subcompact SUV. The Cherokee was already mentioned, but some others potentially worth considering are CR-V, Forester, and CX-5. The Honda CR-V is has strong resale value and has one of the most modern interiors with the most up-to-date infotainment systems; the Subaru Forester has a proactive (rather than reactive) all-wheel drive system if you're looking for an AWD system that compares with Jeep's system; the CX-5 from Mazda has the spirited driving dynamics.

If you feel off-road prowess/advanced AWD isn't high on your radar AND you feel a subcompact will still work well for your kids, also consider Honda's new HR-V and Mazda's new CX-3.

I of course am still a big fan of the Renegade, but I wanted a manual transmission and all-wheel drive which limited my choices down to three makes right there (Subaru Crosstrek and Mini Countryman being the others). But even if I wasn't a stick shift nazi, I'd still be fond of it due to its impressive AWD and good-for-its-class off-roadability combined with its on-road driving.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Keep in mind, the Renegade is considered a subcompact SUV and the Escape is considered a small SUV. So, although the Renegade is a nice vehicle with base models starting at attractive prices, if you want to go Jeep brand you might want to consider the Compass or Patriot as well if you want something a little roomier. Those models also start at nice price points compared to other branded vehicles.
Another thing to consider. The Compass/Patriot line will have a replacement this year. (Supposedly being unveiled at the NY Auto Show next month). It will be placed in between the Renegade and the Cherokee. And have a look like the Grand Cherokee but in a more compact Cherokee size. Price wise, I do not think it will that much more than a Renegade. With a family of 4 (the 3 kids which will get bigger every day and herself), I feel they will outlive the Renegade rather quickly.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

and I also agree on the Wrangler being my dream Jeep vehicle too if it wasn't for that mileage and price.

TS

Reactions: OutdoorGirl

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I'll put in my $0.02.

If you are doing lots of stop and go driving, neither the escape nor renegade do well. I had a discussion with a lady at a party who wanted to know about mine because she was thinking of moving away from her escape when the lease was up. I was shocked to hear that she was getting worse mileage than me. This is the peril of a turbo engine, you can get REALLY bad fuel economy if you put your foot into it all the time. Also, before I got my renegade, I got to test out an escape bought by a friend of the family. Two things really stood out. First, unless you get the bigger infotainment unit, the dash is really kind of awkward. Doubly so when you consider the sightlines on the vehicle and the size of the blind spots. Second was that the upholstery stitching in the escape was just awful. It looked cheap, and seemed like it would not wear well. That doesn't mean it won't wear fine, but it was way below the standard of both the vehicle segment and price point of the vehicle.

Based on everything I test drove, if I was prepared to buy an escape, I would go test a nissan rogue, mazda CX-5 and subaru forrester. The subaru's dash isn't much better than the escape's for visual usefulness, but it is more reachable. THe greenhouse on the forester is very good with minimal blind spots, and the 2.5l engine gets better mileage than the escape or renegade. The rogue has a nice interior, and the CX-5 does everything the escape does better for essentially the same price IMO.

As for the renegade, it isn't the best AWD lifted hatchback out there, but it has tons of personality and fit and finish on the interior is nice (although I personally don't like the speedo and tach with the evic, I prefer them with the DID.) If you need economy and range, that is pretty much the renegade's worst area with only a 12.7 gallon tank and less than stellar EPA numbers, and in most cases even worse real world performance. Much like my last car, for me, the renegade has approximately 250 miles of range for a long cruise. I've driven in parts of the country where the assumption is you will have about 350 miles of range, and anything less is sketchy as heck at best. If that is your situation, buy something else. Period. Probably one of the less obvious things in the renegade's favor are the variable frequency dampening shocks and the fact that it has more sidewall height than most of the competition. If you live in the land of decaying infrastructure and worsening potholes, the renegade (and especialy trailhawk) excel in dealing with them. My last car, in 10 years, I trashed 5 wheels and 7 tires due to worsening roads and having low profile tires. Since it was AWD, that resulted in having to buy 7 wheels, get 2 wheels repaired, and replacing over a dozen tires before wearing them out. My office mate who lives about a mile from me and bought a forester about a month before I got my renegade is already on his second set of tires due to road hazard (although it's now wearing cooper general AT3 tires which should fare better and have more sidewall). We drive the same crap roads, and the renegade is easier on my back and sucks up the potholes better.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Much like my last car, for me, the renegade has approximately 250 miles of range for a long cruise. I've driven in parts of the country where the assumption is you will have about 350 miles of range, and anything less is sketchy as heck at best.
Interesting, you bring up alot of other good points. Never thought of the range comparison, even though I know its a smaller tank. Taking those ranges and putting it on the map (see below) to visualize how far I can go with a Renegade and I'll make it to Washington DC from NY, but not Buffalo, NY. On a 350 mile range vehicle I'll make it to Toronto.

I'm curious as to how big the tank would be in the Compass/Patriot replacement. Although I still love the Renegade look more.

TS

map source: freemaptools.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! A LOT of helpful information. Thank you so much. (You people are great...but you're jeep people so it is to be expected.)

I've test drove the Outback, Mazda CX5, Mazda CX3, Mazda 3, Escape, Chevy Equinox, Kia Soul, Murano, Juke, and the Jeep Renegade. I love the look of the Crosstrek but think it might be too small and have yet to test drive it.

I don't love the look of the Cherokee and Rav4. Juke was too small. Equinox-meh. Mazda CX5 was in the running for a long time but I realize I just don't love the look of it either. I've always respected Subaru but I've discovered they are out of my price point. The used inventory either has 99,000 miles or if lower, I could buy a new vehicle for same cost. Kia Soul felt....flimsy-not solid.

I drove a Nissan Pathfinder for years, then a Subaru for a short time and lastly a Honda Odyssey for the last 11 years. My kids are 11th, 7th, and 6th grades. We don't haul other kids around when all three are in the car anymore. So it's either all three or one with a friend. So, I don't want as much room as I've had with the Odyssey. I need to get back in the Renegade and drive it again. It FELT like the "just right" size but I know I wouldn't want smaller and I know I don't want larger than the Escape.

I have not thought about the Murano. I assumed it was out of my price point. I'll check it.

I drive 20 minutes one way to work daily. I drive an hour one way approx. 3 times a week to see the significant other.

I appreciate you all reading, thinking, and replying with your thoughts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
raz-0...In my last post I meant to say I had not thought about the Rogue and need to check it out...assuming it's not too pricey. Thank you for all the great information. My eyes glazed over with your car-talk there a bit and my vehicular IQ took a beating but over-all I got your message! :)

two-spirits...My ex used to have a Patriot and I've have more than one friend who hated (strong word) the Compass. I wish I liked the look of the Cherokee more, but I just don't. The thing you said about "outgrowing Renegade quickly" resonated. I do need to really think about that as my kids grow taller and bigger. Dang I love the look of that lil beast though! :)

Rick...thanks for your input...I'm not a fan of the look of the Forrester or the Cr-v/Hr-v. I need to grab all three kids, throw them in the Renegade and see how if feels to them!

Thanks! (to all of you)

·
Registered
95 Posts
"It FELT like the "just right" size but I know I wouldn't want smaller and I know I don't want larger than the Escape."

Since you don't want larger than the Escape, then yes, the Renegade will suit your family just fine. I hauled 4 adults around over the weekend, everyone was comfortable and perfectly fine. The Rene offers your bigger kids the head room they need, leg room and space in between for 2 back packs. The interior is very roomy, especially the height-which the kids will love! Would a dealer let you do an overnight test drive??

Too bad you can't find used Wrangler Unlimited, but the gas mileage may kill the budget. So, the kids will live for a while in the back of the Renegade, then leave into their own vehicles eventually. Plus, I have never had such a safe capable vehicle for the winter. If you live in snow country, you will find value in the 4x4 for your family as a single mother.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Tracee...that is extremely helpful info. and exactly what I've been wondering. I need to take my kids on a test drive. They might let me overnight it. The subaru dealer here offered immediately for me to take one for a snow-predicted weekend.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you Tracee...that is extremely helpful info. and exactly what I've been wondering. I need to take my kids on a test drive. They might let me overnight it. The subaru dealer here offered immediately for me to take one for a snow-predicted weekend.
Outdoor Girl yes I would reccomend a two to three day test drive as well. Im an old guy with grown children and don't transport anyone else but my wife. I haven't taken my Trailhawk on a trip yet, but I will be able to lay down the seats to store luggage in the Jeep, you won't be able to do that. If you are really considering a Renegade you should look seriously at the Latitude with the tow package, you could put a basket on the back for luggage, on the top as well. I love my Trailhawk and I think it would be great to haul three kids and a small friend, but a Latitude is similar in alot of ways and you could probably get in a 2015 for a reasonable price.
Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the Renegade will be just fine as a passenger vehicle for your family. I don't know how it's considered sub compact. I think the Chevy Trax and Buick Encode are sub compacts and a tad too small for my likings. My former vehicle was a second generation Rav4 and it was considered compact /small SUV. It seemed to me the Renegade is the same size interior of the RAV4 except the Renegade cargo area is a tad bit smaller. No problem though as the seats fold down if I need the space. I have a friend who has the current Rogue, it's a little bigger interior than the Renegade but just seems the same as everything else. Doesn't have that Jeep style..haha. And besides, with the Renegade you get a free year of Sirius satellite radio, my friend only got 3 months free...haha..
One thing I want to point out for you if you do decide to go with the Renegade, think about your spare tire options because a lot of people leave thinking they have a spare tire and only have a tire repair service kit. There is a spot in the rear for a spare tire, but receiving a spare tire is an option you have to request..otherwise you just get the service kit. Yes, with the Rogue you do get a real spare tire...haha...

·
Registered
106 Posts
When dealing with automatic transmissions (if that's what you're looking into) I do my best to shy away from CVT equipped vehicles. They just never feel right (then again, not having a third pedal doesn't feel right). I'd do a little research on the subject as some of the vehicles mentioned are equipped with CVT. Just my two cents. Anyone else feel the same way?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.