Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My wife and I took a ride to the port yesterday to check out the cars that have been imported and US domestics. We went a few weeks ago and saw hundreds of Renegades, yesterday we saw 1. It looks like they have all been shipped to dealers or maybe moved to another location. We drove around to the different lots but didn't see any more. It was difficult to check out the big lot because it is huge and there is only one spot to look. Maybe they are waiting for the 2019's. They still had many thousands of buy back VW and Audi diesels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. There IS a definition of AWD vs 4x4 and if you google it, it becomes quite apparent what the accepted difference is. Manufacturers may try to "merger/muddy" the definition, but that doesn't mean it isn't there (and it IS).
Also, as for the GKN Twinster system. GKN's own site used to have a page up that SPECIFIED the Renegade as SPECIFICALLY using their "Twinster" set up (thus where I got my information). I had posted this (and GKN link specifying such) quite a few times, and since then Jeep erased that forum thread, and now that GKN page is gone. Welcome to Jeep's information blackout.
Jeep is VERY protective of it's "4x4" claim, and has a history of eradicating any evidence (or links) dispelling that mistruth. Heck, this entire thread will be gone soon as well.
GKN has clearly stated that the Jeep Renegade uses their Twinster set up, and they also make a similar set up for the RR Evoke (but claim the Renegades setup, and they didn't specify TH or not, is their most sophisticated set up to date).
So, none of this will matter, as somehow this entire information will disappear as it has in the past (as I've posted it numerous times, and it always does).

ETA: this is from Edmunds... the least tech out there:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/awd-vs-4wd-whats-the-difference-and-which-to-choose.html
And by THAT definition.. the Renegade is a "part time AWD"

It doesn't matter to me if you disagree respectfully or not. You're simply wrong about the Jeep Renegade using the GKN Twinster system. Repetition of your misinformation is not corroboration. And the idea that there's a weird conspiracy whereby information is "eradicated" or where "this entire information will disappear" is far-fetched. A claim that Twinster is used on the Renegade is simply not supported by the facts. There is clear evidence to the contrary.
Take a bit of time to read the GKN website as it relates to the Renegade system. Then read the details about the Twinster system as used on vehicles like Evoque and Focus RS. A good starting point would be the links from my post above. In case you need an expanded guide, perhaps you could start here:

http://www.gkndriveline.com/en/solutions-services/case-studies/2016/one-awd-platform-two-distinct-driving-experiences/
http://www.gkndriveline.com/en/solutions-services/case-studies/2016/all-wheel-drive-and-effciency/

http://www.gkndriveline.com/en/solutions-services/case-studies/2016/creating-new-markets/

http://www.gkndriveline.com/en/solutions-services/case-studies/2016/twinster/
http://www.gkndriveline.com/en/solutions-services/case-studies/2016/focus-rs/

With respect to 4x4, AWD, 4WD and similar terminology, it would be useful if you provided a link or two to robustly support your assertions about the "accepted definition" of the terms. The source you linked (Edmunds.com) indicates right up front that, "various manufacturers often use these terms differently." As a refresher, here is my statement, "...there is no "official" dictionary or thesaurus that provides precise and industry-wide accepted definitions of terms such as 4x4, AWD, or 4WD." In the end, it's accurate to say that 4x4, 4WD and AWD are more like marketing terms. Manufactures use them as they see fit to aid in defining their brands and positioning their technology and capability.
You may still think differently. Further discussion should include something of substance to support your claims.

·
Registered
130 Posts
By the way, my apologies to the Original Poster and others who viewed this thread for its original purpose. I didn't intend to hijack the thread or create such an extensive off-topic detour.

As to any future discussions on AWD, 4WD, 4x4 and specifics of the Renegade's system, I'd be happy to pursue this in a dedicated post. However, I won't be responding to any further discussion of those matters in this thread.

Once again, I apologize for my role in the thread drift.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you'll do well with the Renegade. However, it's not "4x4" (despite Jeeps clever mismarketing), it's AWD (it uses the GKN Twinster system). It's the same system as in the Fiat 500x (sorry guys but Jeep is the ONLY one who calls this system a "4x4", everyone else (including RR Evoke and GKN themselves) refer to it as AWD). It DOES work well for it's purpose (90% street/ 10% off road) and is one of the best AWD systems out there. But just don't expect it to behave/perform like a real "4x4" and you'll be fine.
Actually, AWD is superior on road (as it moves power to where it senses it needs it, and on road means there is a hard surface underneath). For real "off road", a dedicated "4x4" (defined by "50/50 power distribution front/rear via a locking center coupler. And before someone says, "well the TH has a lock button", understand that the lock button does nothing more than lock the front and rear driveshaft together... that power is then DISENGAGED at the rear axle due to the Twinster's dual clutch rear end. In other words.. nothing you press will send power to the rear wheels. That is controlled via computer software when it senses slippage at the front) is what is needed (since you don't want "power moving", you want consistent power output front/rear to keep moving). True "4x4" gets squirrely on the road, however, in bad weather (as it does not adapt, it's constant).
I've had true "4x4's", and AWD cars. I LOVE the Renegade for my purposes, as it's exactly what I wanted (a beefed up AWD car that has decent ground clearance, is small and nimble, yet gets decent MPG).
My 2007 Ford Escape they called a 4x4 but it was a awd,it never failed me in the snow with all season tires.My 2018 Renegade has modes to choose from my Ford none.Just bought my Jeep this spring so I'll have to wait till this winter to see how it does in the snow with the stock tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't matter to me if you disagree respectfully or not. You're simply wrong about the Jeep Renegade using the GKN Twinster system. Repetition of your misinformation is not corroboration. And the idea that there's a weird conspiracy whereby information is "eradicated" or where "this entire information will disappear" is far-fetched. A claim that Twinster is used on the Renegade is simply not supported by the facts. There is clear evidence to the contrary.
Take a bit of time to read the GKN website as it relates to the Renegade system. Then read the details about the Twinster system as used on vehicles like Evoque and Focus RS. A good starting point would be the links from my post above. In case you need an expanded guide, perhaps you could start here:

404 Page not found
404 Page not found

404 Page not found

404 Page not found
404 Page not found

With respect to 4x4, AWD, 4WD and similar terminology, it would be useful if you provided a link or two to robustly support your assertions about the "accepted definition" of the terms. The source you linked (Edmunds.com) indicates right up front that, "various manufacturers often use these terms differently." As a refresher, here is my statement, "...there is no "official" dictionary or thesaurus that provides precise and industry-wide accepted definitions of terms such as 4x4, AWD, or 4WD." In the end, it's accurate to say that 4x4, 4WD and AWD are more like marketing terms. Manufactures use them as they see fit to aid in defining their brands and positioning their technology and capability.
You may still think differently. Further discussion should include something of substance to support your claims.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts