Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Soxgirl,

It's true! Some people are really looking for things to fault. I appreciate all the good things about the Renegade, but at the same time, I'm a mechanic also race motocross and cars love to race. I just naturally question almost everything, so I'm pretty anal. I suppose it all depends on what you'll settle for and what you set out to do with your vehicle. I suspect some people will be enjoying this off the road, and some people are looking for a winter beater and a cheap way to commute with many tools (like me).

I bought this car to transport tools and my motorcycle in the summer. My SO will be parking the Miata and using the Renegade in the winter while I get into my pickup. I have no intentions of off-road, other than making it to and from upstate New York in the usual "lake effect" snowfalls. :) I'm sure it will do that very well.

Seriously though, the vehicle is great. The faults I've had are minor and curable. Knock on wood...

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I appreciate all the heads up and tips. I have had a few glitches with my trailhawk as well but expected that being the first to roll out, but seems some folks on here are just looking for things to bash.

Enjoy the Jeep - Its so fun!!!
I won't say you are wrong. The forum started well before the vehicle was released, so it was populated by people waiting for the car. One of the big concerns was that is was a chrysler fiat joint production made in Italy designed and engineered by teams across the planet, also using a brand new simulation center built in India, and at least for the US, primarily powered through the ZF 9 speed transmission that had a very poor first outting with Jeep.

So there were a lot of people waiting to see if they got it right. I'm one of them. I'm more than a bit disappointed in the current state of the Renegade, but that is because if they had their act together with assembly, had the options people wanted available (or just had waited and saved the US market for the 2016 model and some of this stuff to be worked out), and had generally had their act together better, they would have fared better.

I think the fact that you see people getting annoyed is that it really is a nice little ride encumbered by poor QC and management issues.

Myself, I'd probably risk it if I could get the trailer hitch and a tonneau cover. The fact that to get the latter, a $75 option, installed by a dealer needs $500 in parts is absurd. The fact that I can get it if I order and wait six months is also absurd.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I kind of agree with you. I do of course feel sorry for those who have actual problems and issues. But we also have the gloom and doom threads which in my opinion are not based on hard facts. As far as I can tell from the VIN numbers, about 83,000 Renegades have been produced so far and I would estimate that at least 63,000 of these have been delivered to buyers. That's a lot of cars and the number of serious issues posted on this forum becomes a drop in the ocean.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I kind of agree with you. I do of course feel sorry for those who have actual problems and issues. But we also have the gloom and doom threads which in my opinion are not based on hard facts. As far as I can tell from the VIN numbers, about 83,000 Renegades have been produced so far and I would estimate that at least 63,000 of these have been delivered to buyers. That's a lot of cars and the number of serious issues posted on this forum becomes a drop in the ocean.
Keep in mind we don't get a large portion of the markets where the majority of those vehicles have been sold.

I'm not even sure where they have been sold. EU was about 20k as of end of march, no numbers for april or may yet that I can find.

US has been about 9500 through the end of may.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Keep in mind we don't get a large portion of the markets where the majority of those vehicles have been sold.

I'm not even sure where they have been sold. EU was about 20k as of end of march, no numbers for april or may yet that I can find.

US has been about 9500 through the end of may.

I might have gotten the numbers wrong. I assumed that the assignment of a VIN is a running number system and from what I can see they have assigned numbers from around 01000 to 83000 by now. Maybe I got it wrong?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking to bash a unique car that interests us and brought us here to begin with.

The problems with the Renegade are what they are until they are resolved and put to rest by FCA. As someone else said, "you gotta face reality". The problems some people are expressing and experiencing are real. And those calling for action aren't doing anything negatively towards you, it's not personal. We all want a car that is everything the Renegade promised to be. As negative those reports may seem, and as you may not have been a victim of those problems, it doesn't make the other person's pains less real.

Honestly, I think those crying negativity is taking things a bit too personal and need to see it objectively. Ultimately, don't you want your car—the one you just spent a significant amount of money on—to worth every penny?

Forums are for exchange of information and community organization. It's a living breathing library and advocacy body all in one... not solely to gather and sing kumbaya in a group hug (this isn't religion).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking to bash a unique car that interests us and brought us here to begin with.

The problems with the Renegade are what they are until they are resolved and put to rest by FCA. As someone else said, "you gotta face reality". The problems some people are expressing and experiencing are real. And those calling for action aren't doing anything negatively towards you, it's not personal. We all want a car that is everything the Renegade promised to be. As negative those reports may seem, and as you may not have been a victim of those problems, it doesn't make the other person's pains less real.

Honestly, I think those crying negativity is taking things a bit too personal and need to see it objectively. Ultimately, don't you want your car—the one you just spent a significant amount of money on—to worth every penny?

Forums are for exchange of information and community organization. It's a living breathing library and advocacy body all in one... not solely to gather and sing kumbaya in a group hug (this isn't religion).
Well said.

We're paying for a product and if it has faults, they should be brought to light, can't just sit on the sidelines and accept it.

I've been on a lot of forums and this type of discussion is common enough, forums act as a hub for finding solutions.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I have no problem with owners posting problem threads to be discussed. That's definitely part of a forum. It's when other members pop into unrelated threads just to stir the pot and beat a dead horse or even link back to a problem thread like "lookie here guys, another thing going wrong!"
That's when the negativity is a bit much.
It's like ok we get it- you're disappointed the Renegade didn't turn out exactly how you thought it would but being a Debbie Downer in every thread isn't going to solve anything. It's only going to create a hostile place for the rest of us.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My last two cars (2002 Mitsu Lancer, 2013 Honda Fit Sport) were/are problem free for the past 13 years. Zero issues other than regular wear and maintenance issues. Considering the TH would be costing $32k I am very interested in knowing what problems people are running into not only with this new model but also with Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep in general. I would have purchased one in March had the MySky and tow options been available. Now I will be waiting until the 2016 models are out before making any decisions. It's a little frightening to see the issues people are having out of the gate. On the other hand, it's also nice to see many people having problem free experiences and loving the Renegade.
If the Renegade is going to be unreliable then I want to know about the issues before spending the money. If it will be a solid performer then I want to know that as well. That is why I am thankful for this forum and visit it daily.

·
Registered
602 Posts

+1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem with this Forum is that the people complaining the most, and in every thread regardless of topic, are the people that don't own the vehicle. The people the own the vehicle, even those reporting significant issues, seem to have remained quite happy with the vehicle and FCA's response to issues.

There are people on this forum with the clear and singular intent to constantly deride the Renegade and FCA. People should question their motivation. I guess if they chase less hearty renegade buyers away that's ok with me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfortunately, the experience here is similar to other forums. Look at videogame forums... every time a new Call of Duty is released, a vocal minority goes on a rampage on forums, blogs, and Metacritic about how bad the game is. In reality, the majority of the people who play the game love the game...

People who have issues with the Renegade will do a Google search, find this forum, and post away.

Hopefully detractors will find a thread or two that they stick to, and us fans create a fun, positive forum to share stories about our ToasterJeeps.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I just question why some people choose to keep posting on a forum that is specifically for the Renegade. If a couple people decide they now hate it, are angry with how the release went (or whatever), and are no longer interested in owning one then fine,ok. But then why continue to be on this specific forum afterwards? Isn't it a waste of their time after awhile if they keep posting about something they don't have or want?

Oh well.

In other news I had fun playing and driving through puddles yesterday on my way home. Suddenly getting tons of rain here!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's just normal human behavior. We have a little of everything going on here.
-Those that own Renegades and to some extent feel the need to justify their purchase and even more so when others put the vehicle down constantly.
-Those who own the vehicle and could care less what others think or have to say.
-Those who own the vehicle and are genuinely distraught over issues.
-Those who own the vehicle and are open to both the positive & negative remarks and are willing to work through it all.
-Those who do not own a Renegade and are waiting to see how things pan out.
-Those who do not own a Renegade and feel the need to bash the vehicle at every turn to justify their own decisions not to purchase.

We start this behavior as little kids saying "C'mon guys, follow me!"

You might be a little naive if you think the last category are true missionaries with a goal of warning complete internet strangers on the impending doom of owning a Renegade.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
It's just normal human behavior. We have a little of everything going on here.
-Those that own Renegades and to some extent feel the need to justify their purchase and even more so when others put the vehicle down constantly.
-Those who own the vehicle and could care less what others think or have to say.
-Those who own the vehicle and are genuinely distraught over issues.
-Those who own the vehicle and are open to both the positive & negative remarks and are willing to work through it all.
-Those who do not own a Renegade and are waiting to see how things pan out.
-Those who do not own a Renegade and feel the need to bash the vehicle at every turn to justify their own decisions not to purchase.

We start this behavior as little kids saying "C'mon guys, follow me!"

You might be a little naive if you think the last category are true missionaries with a goal of warning complete internet strangers on the impending doom of owning a Renegade.
You left out one category. Those who don't own a renegade, would like to, but REALLY wish FCA would get their act together enough on the rollout to surpass their feeling of "man, buying this vehicle sounds like it would be a bad choice right now".

·
Registered
199 Posts
You left out one category. Those who don't own a renegade, would like to, but REALLY wish FCA would get their act together enough on the rollout to surpass their feeling of "man, buying this vehicle sounds like it would be a bad choice right now".
That's covered by:
-Those who do not own a Renegade and are waiting to see how things pan out. (for whatever reason)

·
Registered
499 Posts
That's covered by:
-Those who do not own a Renegade and are waiting to see how things pan out. (for whatever reason)
Not so sure I would classify them together in that. The way that's worded makes them sound more like a passive group of people that are just waiting and doing nothing more than that. That absolutely is a category that I'd keep, but I'd also add in the group that's waiting and making damned sure that everyone (owners, prospective buyers, the media, and FCA) is aware of issues such that FCA will do its best to address and prevent.

In any case, your underlying point is dead on - we have a bunch of different people on here and everyone has a different agenda. I think we can all agree on one thing though, no matter where on that spectrum you fall, you do have an interest in the Jeep Renegade platform, or else you wouldn't be here.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I'm in that group, with the exception of sounding like its a bad choice right now. I still feel its just early hiccups and things will work itself out.

BTW, shouldn't that be written as "moderators who don't have a renegade, but would like to, but really wish FCA would get their act together" :D
Sorry, couldn't resist. But at least its in its own unique category. ;)

TS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.