Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it worth modfiying the Renegade?

Today I have more of an opinionated question for you. I bought my new Renegade not too long ago, but I didn't get the Trailhawk. I have been thinking about possibly modifying this one that I have (2016 Limited 4x4) to do a little better offroading. But I don't want to void the warranty so early into ownership, so I am wondering...

Is it actually worth it to modify the Renegade that I have, given the fact that I will have to pay for official parts through Mopar and pay for dealership labor hours?

Any feedback and experiences would be very welcome!

·
Registered
676 Posts
mistahhdj, it depends on how much you want it modified.

In my years of experience my Rene' is not equipped for off-road trails in par with my wrangler. It can go through obstacles but with a lot of patience :( . My advise is you are wasting your money if you expect it to perform off road and hang out with the the XJs, TJs, JKs, etc. this jeep does not have the engineered suspension to withstand the abuse of a rough terrains. The front bumper and skid plates are not well designed and so you can not wash the engine bay if you go mudding...

Sorry to bust your chaps but buy a wrangler if you plan to really do aftermarket mods bec. there are hundreds of vendors and fab shops to support you that you don't even have to worry about warranties.

Rene is most suited for pavements and good for DD. My Rene is cute and it's just for showing off :) most of the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mistahhdj, it depends on how much you want it modified.

In my years of experience my Rene' is not equipped for off-road trails in par with my wrangler. It can go through obstacles but with a lot of patience :( . My advise is you are wasting your money if you expect it to perform off road and hang out with the the XJs, TJs, JKs, etc. this jeep does not have the engineered suspension to withstand the abuse of a rough terrains. The front bumper and skid plates are not well designed and so you can not wash the engine bay if you go mudding...

Sorry to bust your chaps but buy a wrangler if you plan to really do aftermarket mods bec. there are hundreds of vendors and fab shops to support you that you don't even have to worry about warranties.

Rene is most suited for pavements and good for DD. My Rene is cute and it's just for showing off :) most of the time.
I get that, and I think a Wrangler is in my future ;) Getting a new job soon that pays a lot more than the one I currently have, and so I am hoping to pay down the loan with this one off really quickly and get into a wrangler. But I wanted the creature comforts that came with the Renegade Limited, ones that I don't believe that Wrangler comes with. That was the only thing stopping me, as I love my remote start, heated seats and steering wheel, navigation, and all that. I don't believe the wrangler comes with that at any level.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The Wrangler is more raw and unrefined as far as creature comforts go and highway riding comfort. Just look at its sun visor to name one thing. But it is nearly unparalleled in off-road capability. If you want/need an aggressive off-road vehicle, you can't go wrong with the Wrangler. Get the Rubicon with the disconnecting front sway bar and HD Dana axles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It also depends on your goals. The Renegade is not a hard core wheeler.

However if you are talking basic trails, not much mud, hunting, and getting through the woods the Renegade is nice and nimble. It isn't going to lead the pack, but if outfitted well and driven smartly you'll do alright. The biggest issue to me is the lack of a real low range crawl ratio.

Edit. I missed that you'd be having the dealership do the work. It's definitely not worth it at the prices you'll pay at the dealer for the upgrades.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Voiding the warranty tends to put a lot of fear into people about their vehicles, and a lot of people don't fully understand it. (PSA THE FOLLOWING IS A DRAMATIZATION, DO NOT READ INTO THE SPECIFICS OF THE SITUATION, JUST THE OVERALL AS AN EXAMLE) EXAMPLE 1: So lets say you decide you want to put on a lift kit, a few months later you get a coolant leak from your radiator or one of the coolant hoses splits. The dealership would have to prove without any doubt that the lift kit that you installed or had installed by a non dealership shop, caused the malfunction. If they cannot then they have to replace the parts under warranty. EXAMPLE 2: Now, on that same token, lets say you go to a shop and have them install the lift kit, and the technician improperly installs the one of the parts that causes a break in a connected piece, the dealership says no thats not under warranty but we can prove that it was the improper installation of the part that caused it, then you go back to the shop and argue with them, prove you're right and they messed up, they repair at their cost, still no loss of warranty. EXAMPLE 3: you go to a shop thats not the dealer and they install said lift kit, one of the pieces breaks within a year, you contact the manufacturer, say hey this broke, its under warranty, it was installed by a professional shop, send new part free.

In short:
1. modifying your vehicle, at the dealership or a professional shop, does not void the warranty on the vehicle
2. there are warranties in place by the parts you installed and the shop that installed it to help cover you
3. the dealership must prove that the part that was installed caused the failure, at which point the warranty doesn't get voided, its just not covered under it at that point.
4. even with warranties, the dealership will always always always try to find a way to not have to cover something under warranty. sometimes its more obvious then other times, and sometimes at some dealerships they know its covered and don't make a big deal about it.
5. you are not forced to use MOPAR parts installed AT the dealership, it is simply an option that is up to you.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Out there on a trail in Amarillo I was following a 4Runner uphill and got stuck on clay/mud upward uneven track and about 6 SUV's trailing me from behind. I was not able to pass the obstacle and 6 of them has to back off to give me enough run or........ so I can get out of their path, and it was not a straight trail for them to back off. There were some pissed off off-roaders and I was so embarrassed because I do not even have a winch to pull me out of a simple obstacle. they all went through and I have to go around... I say, Renegades are for pavement!!! Since then I take my wrangler on trails.,, my Renegade with my wife to the mall.

·
Registered
676 Posts
bwbike, I don't think you own a wrangler and if you do, you don't off road much.

Why do you need a sun visor for the wrangler? If you own one you drool to go topless and door-less. There is no use for the sun visor that is why it is so tiny and flimsy. I got a mess screen shade tied between the roll bars and sometimes a bikini top for the rain during summer.. door-less and topless most of the summer. HD Dana is not the term it's Dana 44 for the Rubi. The Sports has the Dana 35. Don't get offended Mitahhdj is asking an "opinionated question"

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, I got my Renegade mainly because I needed something that was fuel efficient, behaved on the roads (no intentions of off-roading), handles well in bad weather, can carry a decent amount of cargo, and most importantly has a manual transmission.

Since the thing drives like a chubby hatchback, why not mod it to be happier on the pavement?

So for on road mods, yes definitely worth it. Much more enjoyable to drive now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts