Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone! I'm on the hunt for a new used vehicle. I'm currently driving a 2008 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton with the 6.7 lifted 5" on 35's. It's a lot of truck and the only reason I have it is to haul our truck camper around. Now the family is getting bigger and I don't think we're going to be using the truck camper anymore. We moved out of the city and bought a bunch of acres in the country.
I loved the Renegade when it first came out but we couldn't afford it at the time so we purchased a used Liberty which has treated us very well. I've had XJ Cherokee's and ZJ Grand Cherokees in the past. I recently saw a Renegade for sale at a local dealership and thought the price was pretty darn reasonable. My wife and I started watching a bunch of videos on YouTube and I'm impressed with the Trailhawk version, but is it the right fit for me? Will I be going off-roading enough to where the extra price will be justified? Its a definite maybe.. Most my driving is going to be commuting to/from work (70 miles round trip) but I live in what we call the "Boston HIlls" (NY not MA) so we'll get 6-7 feet of snow every season that lasts from October - April. I had to dig the Libby out twice last year with the tractor.
Are the other trims' 4x4 systems adequate enough for snow and occasional off-roading? Will I be having fun with it or cursing myself saying "I shoulda went all in".
Also what years where good ones? I've been reading about the Tigershark burning a lot of oil. Is this common? Did the engineers get this issue resolved? Turrrboooooo, or no?

Thanks for taking the time to read all my misc. thoughts and run-on sentences. I'm looking forward to my purchase as soon as I can find someone to give me what I'm looking to get for my truck.

Nate

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

We love ours so good luck on your pick.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

The Jeep Renegade Trailhawk is a good light duty, do just about anything kind of commuter All-Terrain vehicle.

It gets decent fuel mileage. Comfortable and roomy, and can go just about anywhere you would expect a Jeep of that size to go. On road or off.

I live in the mountains. My Renegade Trailhawk was a blast to drive on the mountain roads, did very well in the snow, and when I HAD to go to the city, it is small enough to fit anywhere.

There was a time when I had a 2 hour commute to work (one way) and it was a great for that. Keep in mind, it is NOT a powerhouse (but very capable). If you need to pass somebody, make sure that you have the time and space to do it.

Reactions: greyghost

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll second what IDoMy0wnRacing said above; and add a thing or two.

I bought a 2018 Sport new and love to drive it; the suspension I find to be pretty supple and forgiving on our twisty and bouncy roads here in NW Oregon. However it did have the oil appetite (its a 2.4) and I had to get kind of strident with our local dealer to get it fixed. But once I got Jeep involved they made it right, and mine now goes between changes with little to no drop of oil level. Transmission takes its time shifting down when you want to go, so you'll probably have to take your time with downshifts. I cruise in 8th at about 1400 rpm, and it has to go down to about 5th for passing, which takes some work in that gearbox. it does climb hills just fine though, I run between the coast and Portland on OR HWY 6, which goes from 13 to 1600 feet elevation and I keep up with everything else.

I haven't had really any trouble with it to speak of otherwise. I was leary of the electrics (I am of an age when FIATs were imported back in the 60s and 70s and remember the horrible electrical trouble they had) but everything seems to be holding up fine. Very tough running gear for sure.

I drove a 2021 Trailhawk with the 1.3 turbo when I had mine in the shop getting the engine replaced for a little while, and that seems to be a pretty good setup. The extra torque from the turbo seems to make it easier to deal with the transmissions antics, and I remember reading somewhere they revamped the shift behaviors in the latest trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts