Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally, if I get a TH, is there anything bad or good to say about the different years - 2015, 2016, 2017?

Were there issues in earlier years that were fixed in later years? Anything to be concerned about?

Are there still issues with that fancy 9-speed transmission that plagued the Cherokee in the first year?
I've expressed this before. I think quality is inconsistent. Some Renegades are great, others are plagued with problems. Our '16 TH (build date May '16) is solid. It seems like a really good platform if they can keep the quality consistent.

Yet, I have this nagging feeling, waiting to stuff to start breaking.

Regarding the 9-speed, it's a little odd at times, but it does not bother me. I'm a moderate driver, really light on the pedal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've expressed this before. I think quality is inconsistent. Some Renegades are great, others are plagued with problems. Our '16 TH (build date May '16) is solid. It seems like a really good platform if they can keep the quality consistent.

I think the same could be said about all the models the OP is considering. Or just about any vehicle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I?d say it?s a pretty good replacement. We used to have a 2007 Liberty (which also was wrecked).

That's what I was looking for - someone with the same experience with these 2 vehicles. Thanks for chiming in.

...I also think it has a belly pan or one is available? Not 100% on that.
Doesn't the TH have several skid plates covering pretty much all of the important stuff? Are additional skids required?

For the the stuff you?re talking about I would say it could handle it and be better on the road to boot. The liberty to me never seemed to have the power where it needed it compared to the Cherokee. The nine speed alleviates most of that in the Renegade but it?s a different beast altogether.

I never felt my KJ was underpowered. It seemed fine on steep hills and crawling over rocks. But I'm concerned the Trailhawk appears to be underpowered compared to the KJ. How can the 9-speed transmission compensate for that? Is it really better than 4-LO mode in the KJ?

You're right that it would be a very nice going-to-the-trailhead (for hiking) vehicle, as well as capable enough when there are rocks in the roads.
Our Liberty wasn?t underpowered per say it seemed like the power band forced it into 3rd gear a lot considering it felt like more than enough engine for it. Which made it achieve between 14-16 mpg highway which is where it spent quite a bit of time as it was our only vehicle for a time. Our Renegade runs the same if not lower rpms in the same driving and gets 24-26. There is about 500 lbs difference for around 30 hp 60 lbs ft torque. I think the nine speed masks any loss of power though it?s still there.

I did check on the TH skid plates and it seems they are multiple pieces covering most of the components. I wasn?t sure if it was a belly pan or not.

On the 4LO I assumed on our 2007 Liberty that the transfer case was like our 91 Cherokee and pretty much ?locked in? to a setting but the Libertys is electronic. The TH has a button but from my experience with the Latitude?s light 4wd I imagine it?ll be fine and Hill descent control would be a nice add on.

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
Does anyone know if the space in the back of a 2 door Wrangler is more or less than the rear of the Renegade. While being a 4 door there isn't much space in the back of the Renegade.
It depends on which 2 door wrangler.

YJ 2 door wit the seats up? WAY more.

TJ 2 door with short wheel base and the seats up? same.

One of the weird 2005, 2006 long wheel base 2 doors? A co worker has one. The space seems close-ish with I think a minor win going to the renegade.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Does anyone know if the space in the back of a 2 door Wrangler is more or less than the rear of the Renegade. While being a 4 door there isn't much space in the back of the Renegade.
I have both the 2 door TJ & the Renegade.
If you fold them back seats the Renegade has more space per volume.

However, the renegade's back seat cannot be removed like the TJ.
If you remove the seat of a TJ it's very spacious and flat floored for stable cargo space.
The renegade seat does not lay flat when seats are folded which is not good for cargo use..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts