Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new to the community and also the new owner of a 2018 Renegade latitude 4x4. First Jeep ever but not new to Mopar's. I've owned numerous chargers and challenger most recently a 19 scat pack.
Anyway on to my question. The Jeep came with standard aluminium 17" rims with chrome center caps. I want to remove the caps to add some gloss black wheel skins. I have heard there are ways to remove them with taking the wheels off. After trying to pry them out and finding nothing thin enough and using the gorilla tape method which did not work I thought I'd hunt for any suggestions.

Thanks for any advice you give.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hey guys,
I am new to the community and also the new owner of a 2018 Renegade latitude 4x4. First Jeep ever but not new to Mopar's. I've owned numerous chargers and challenger most recently a 19 scat pack.
Anyway on to my question. The Jeep came with standard aluminium 17" rims with chrome center caps. I want to remove the caps to add some gloss black wheel skins. I have heard there are ways to remove them with taking the wheels off. After trying to pry them out and finding nothing thin enough and using the gorilla tape method which did not work I thought I'd hunt for any suggestions.

Thanks for any advice you give.

View attachment 2396348036
Welcome to the forum. Check out this video, this guy just uses a screwdriver to remove the caps. Nice looking Renegade, post some pictures after you put on the skins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I actually watched that same video except he skips the step showing the center cap removal. I'm going to keep trying whatever he used must have been really extra thin. I have some various metal and plastic trim tools and even the thinnest one maybe around a 1/16 still could not fit the almost non existent gap around the caps.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the reply I actually watched that same video except he skips the step showing the center cap removal.
He removes the center cap on the left rear at 4:35 in the video using a screwdriver.
Would spraying some WD40 or similar releasant around the centre cap enable you to pry it loose? It really was just a quick flick of the wrist and the cap was removed. Perhaps the guy knowingly for the video had just pressed it in very lightly.

However! and I never use the word "cool" to describe anything but in this instance those wheel trims are cool as freck :love::love::love:

At $75 knowing my luck I would clip the edge of the kerb and smash it up. Therefore in my case I will need to do without black wheels or at least pay to have them powder coated. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried every flat screwdriver I own from wide flats to small precision electronic types those caps won't budge.going to try utility knife blade next if still a no go off to my mechanic to use his lift lol.

Eventually powder coat or just new rims will be in order. My girlfriend usually drives the Jeep most and want to make sure she don't make a habit of curbing rims before the investment on new ones. In the meantime 75 on skins isnt to bad if they get trashed.

The guts selling the rim skins are great. I discovered two broken clips on the ones I purchased. They not only sent a whole new set but now I have 4 back ups if one or 4 get curb rash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it worked a utility knife black and a very thin precision flat head got them out. Here are pics of them installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts