Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I just got my renegade on Monday night.. Had 12 miles when I drove off the lot.. Tuesday I was driving back to the dealer (they gave me a wrong key fob) and my oil pressure light came on twice then proceeded to go off.. Sat at the dealer for 2 hours.. They told me nothing was wrong.. Said I made a mistake (the light came on and a message saying oil pressure, I didn't make a mistake..) anyway.. I also mentioned that I was having really rough shifting.. Like jerking when it shifts.. They told me the transmission is "learning" how I drive.. Not sure how much truth is behind that.. The rough shifting is especially during the first couple gears.. It also jerks when I'm slowing down into first gear (like at a light) when I've come to an almost complete stop.. Anyone else having these kind of issues? I don't even have 100 miles on my Renegade and I have issues already ):

·
Registered
603 Posts
What they said about the transmission is true. It does take time for the computer to learn your driving habits and adjust itself accordingly. Modern automatic transmissions often take some time to "settle down."

That being said, the scenario you described, where you slow almost to a stop and then accelerate again, is one of the more difficult situations for an automatic to deal with, and it often gives manual drivers trouble, as well. Downshifts into first are difficult to accomplish smoothly (for a manual driver OR an automatic shift controller).

·
Registered
430 Posts
That being said, the scenario you described, where you slow almost to a stop and then accelerate again, is one of the more difficult situations for an automatic to deal with, and it often gives manual drivers trouble, as well. Downshifts into first are difficult to accomplish smoothly (for a manual driver OR an automatic shift controller).
Every automatic transmission I have driven, prior to the 9 speed, has never had an issue with this. They have done it smoothly and with no fuss. The 9 speed doesn't know if it needs to be in first or second gear when it takes off from a stop.

I also have never had this issue when driving a manual. First gear has always been easy to get into.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes I get teh rought shift 'kick' in the first shift. I have a TH so I'm not sure if its 2-3 or 1-2.

However the kick happens when I slowly take off in a gentle launch. If I drive aggressive it's completely smooth, and if I creep around the parking lot it's completely smooth.

I have under 150 miles so I assume it's still learning.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The Trailhawk will always start in 2nd gear in automatic mode. If you put it to the floor from a standstill, it starts in 2nd and then quickly shifts into 1st gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Yes I get teh rought shift 'kick' in the first shift. I have a TH so I'm not sure if its 2-3 or 1-2.

However the kick happens when I slowly take off in a gentle launch. If I drive aggressive it's completely smooth, and if I creep around the parking lot it's completely smooth.

I have under 150 miles so I assume it's still learning.
It's not learning. I never had that until they flashed my TCU and the weather started to cool off. It does it horribly from about 55F to about 30F. Once it starts getting really cold it doesn't do it at all. Above 55, it just kind of rev matches poorly and bogs a bit. Below that it can start getting pretty severe unless you give it the beans from the get go.

To me that says someone programmed something incorrectly. I gotta bug my dealer about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Once it starts getting really cold it doesn't do it at all. Above 55, it just kind of rev matches poorly and bogs a bit. Below that it can start getting pretty severe unless you give it the beans from the get go.
Thanks, I dunno about the cold weather because its doing it in Chicago weather, we had -10 windchill. My TH is a 10/2015 build and I don't know it's update history. I'm still trying to figure out when it does it and if it lessens. I'll keep the forum updated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My once smooth shifting 9A is now shifting rough going 4-5 (or 3-4)

The rough shift happened after my 5000 road trip. Now is the Jeep learning again? :nerd: or is it the cold weather?because on a very cold start... it will shift hard. But once the trans temp reach the mid point (about 100 f) it is smooth.

I'm hoping it will relearn and shift smooth again :|

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have noticed rough shifting (1-2) after exiting a highway. After a few shifts it smooths out again. The same type of shifting roughness is noticeable when I am in stop and go traffic, especially coming from highway speeds to slow stop and go. In stop and go I put it in auto-stick and usually leave it in 2nd gear, that seems to eliminate the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.