Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Jeep Renegade Latitude. I have just under 3km on it, currently. I've noticed some issues that I had addressed. I just got my Jeep back yesterday evening, and two things still seem to be happening. I will list what I took it in for in case others see this and have similar issues.

1. Key catching. I read other posts and say that this is common and saw the information that was referred to from the manual. However, one key FOB does it and the other does not catch at all. I'm just using the FOB that doesn't catch. I've tried waiting the few seconds after releasing the brake, and that does not help the FOB that does catch.

2. My doors would not lock or unlock. My passenger door and liftgate were the only things that would open. If I manually used my finger to push the lock button back and forth, it would work that way. But that was a hassle so I just left the 3 other doors locked and hoped that no one would try and get into my vehicle. Would've been easy!!

3. I havent quite pinpointed when exactly this happens because it doesn't just do it for one thing, but my Jeep will randomly accelerate immediately after I brake. The times I notice it the most is when I pull into my garage, I brake when first entering the garage and as soon as I let go, it jerks forward and accelerates a little. Also, every time I go down a hill that I take every day from work, after I brake and try to just coast down it, it accelerates then as well. It doesn't accelerate enough to where I feel uneasy about it, I just know that it isn't normal.

4. All vehicles usually have some sort of knob to control the light settings. In my Renegade, to the left of the steering wheel, I use that knob often to turn my lights off. I had a Jeep prior to the Renegade and it was very similar and I always turned that knob to the "O" symbol, meaning off. I feel like I'm wasting life with those lights if I keep them on when not needing. Any way, with my Renegade, the lights did not go off. When I would switch between the fog lights and "O" (off), nothing would happen. My lights remained on until I turned the vehicle off and completely walked away from it and locked it with the FOB, that didnt lock haha

Now for my update after having the Renegade serviced. First, let me say that I have NEVER experienced such terrible service from a dealership before. I work at a luxury dealership so maybe I just expect much more because I see how we treat out service customers.
Immediately after I purchased my Renegade, I noticed a rattle in the passenger side door. I made an appointment and took it in. Well, they didn't give me a loaner vehicle. I took my moms car so i could get to work. She was without a vehicle from 8am to 5pm that day. I called at 4 pm to see what was taking so long. At 415, they returned my call and I could tell they hadn't even looked at it yet by the way the man was questioning me about it. He then called 15 minutes later and said they heard nothing. Unsatisfied, I brought it back here and one of our technicians hit the door with his fist a couple times and knew immediately there was a rattle. Turns out, it was under the little space where you hold the door to open and close it. A bolt wasn't screwed in. It took him 2 minutes to fix. The service I got from Jeep was just lazy and disappointing.

Then I started having more issues and knew I had to take it back in, even though I was dreading it. So I went in and told them the issues listed above.^^^
The service advisor told me the lock thing was strange and definitely wrong. And agreed to all the other things. Again, they didn't have a loaner vehicle for me even though I scheduled this appointment 3 weeks prior because they couldn't get me in any sooner. And not to mention, this would all be warranty work on my BRAND NEW VEHICLE. So after waiting an hour, I got a car from Hertz finally. The next day I got a call from Jeep saying my vehicle was ready. I was stunned. I figured it would take weeks since the first visit took a whole day to NOT find a little thing such as a bolt loose.

I leave work early to get my vehicle and rush to return the rental then get a ride from my mom to the dealership. They give my keys and paper work and that's it. Didn't explain anything to me as to what they did and what they found. I checked my locks immediately and found that they did work. That was my main concern. I couldn't check the accelerating after braking in that moment...I just ended up driving home.

As I got home, it seemed like my Jeep was driving differently before, but not in a good way. Still not sure what that's about. My paperwork says they performed something with the ignition but the key still gets caught, even waiting after releasing the brake. The vehicle doesn't seem to be acclerating as often as it was, but still is. And the light's are just funky. It seems as if they disabled my fog lights and made the lights that come on when I turn, to be on all the time when the fog lights are switched on. But when I switch it to the off position, there are no lights on. They made it so it did what I asked, but i don't think they did it properly.

Has anyone else had an issue with their lights? Or with the vehicle accelerating? Ive tried to look at little at the forum but have not found anything about those issues. I did see stuff about the locks and the key sticking, but not the others.

Any info would be great!!!

Thanks!
P.S. Sorry for the book of a post!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If a vehicle is accelerating without you using the accelerator, it is unsafe.
I would tell them to fix it or I would speak to the press and/or a lawyer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When taking it in to be serviced, the service advisor said it sounded like i dont have "Hill Assist", which sounds like complete B.S. to me. First off, it's 2015 and how much I paid, my vehicle probably has it. Second, it does it going both up an incline, as well as down an incline. So that couldn't be it anyway.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
When taking it in to be serviced, the service advisor said it sounded like i dont have "Hill Assist", which sounds like complete B.S. to me. First off, it's 2015 and how much I paid, my vehicle probably has it. Second, it does it going both up an incline, as well as down an incline. So that couldn't be it anyway.
That is pure BS. Hill assist has nothing to do with that.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Not sure about the lights - are you talking about the Daytime Running Lights? They aren't controlled by the headlight switch. You can turn them off or on on the uconnect screen.
Fogs can only be used with headlights or parking lights on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I apologize. The daytime running lights are what I meant. The service advisor said they could manually set that to where they don't come on. But now, they aren't coming on at all and the orange lights that would come on when I turned it to the option closest to "off" on the knob, do not come on any longer. Instead, the lights that would only come on when I would turn left or right, stay on all the time when turning to knob to that position (one next to off). I hope I'm being somewhat clear with my explanation.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Yes, I apologize. The daytime running lights are what I meant. The service advisor said they could manually set that to where they don't come on. But now, they aren't coming on at all and the orange lights that would come on when I turned it to the option closest to "off" on the knob, do not come on any longer. Instead, the lights that would only come on when I would turn left or right, stay on all the time when turning to knob to that position (one next to off). I hope I'm being somewhat clear with my explanation.
OK. 1) Just for grins, ask the guy at the dealer you work at to write up a bill for the door rattle. Call up jeeps 800 customer service number and tell them about the service you received, who from, and that taking it to a tech yourself resulted ina problem found, it fixed, and you want the bill paid by jeep. You might find that you can get relief as at least historically, most car makers have a process for dealing with warrantable issues where there is no available dealer presence.

2) Please describe the light issue you are having more clearly. The renegade has three sets of lights. The top set are the round headlights. The middle set are the DRL/amber parking lights, the bototm lights are fog lights (abut also can come on while turning for corner illumination). I think you have made it clear you are talking about the middle ones, but it is unclear what behavior you expect, and what behavior you are actually experiencing.

3) key catching. Try this: Put foot on brake. Put car in park. Make sure the e-e-brake light comes on turn off car, wait a couple seconds, remove key. Release foot from brake. As far as I can tell this is how the software coders expect the "get my key out of the **** car" algorithm to work. For me it does when I have my phone in its mount. When I don't I'm more rushed, and I beat the interlock disengaging. Sometimes this requires what I will classify as shenanigans to get my key back, but it is all tractable as long as you aren't a member of team push it harder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.