Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I have a 2015 Renegade latitude which has an annoying issue - when the lights are turned on the dash board lights/radio go dull. I'm told this is supposed to happen, however after a while they go bright again and a while later dull and this continues randomly. If the fans are on they go into turbo boost when bright. A bright spark at the dealer tells me this is to do with the smart alternator and is nothing to worry about its 'normal'. I understand what he is saying about the smart alternator but surely I shouldn't be seeing this fluctuation on the instrument panel/ radio / fan .
Is anyone else having or had this issue - is there a fix ?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd suggest the dealer is telling porkies.
The dash lights should dim with lights on if you have them set to dim with the little wheel next to the light switch.
Then that level should remain the same.
May be worth turning the brightness up/down a couple of times - just in case you are on a 'flat spot' on the dimmer wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From what I've experienced...

A) bright day + lights off = dimer don't work; brightness on dashboard set to highest; interior lights are off (those set by Uconnect like door handles, ambient light, cup holders etc)

B) bright day + lights on = dimer don't work; brightness on dashboard set to highest

C) cloudy day or dark tunnel or evening or night + lights on = dimer works :)

D) moving from (B) bright location to (C) dark one with lights on = dimer works automatically

Looks like Jeep got some sensors that decides if it is dark enough to use dim you've set on that little wheel next to light switch. It works when lights are on and it's dark enough (C). When you'll go back to brighter location dim will stop working and everything will be set like in (B).

But I might be wrong I got Rene for only 1 month :)

PS. Sorry for my English ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Whatever happened to a simple dimmer switch for gauge the illumination level? They just had to add a sensor and some automatic features for no good reason other than that they could.
nah, it comes out of trying to mitigate two other trends.

1) electroluminescent and or other really bright gauge illumination that is on during the daytime.

and

2) LCD displays with stuff you want to see on them that won't be illuminated enough to do so in bright light, but would be blinding with daylight levels of illumination in the dark.

1) often results in people thinking their lights are on when they aren't, especially if you toss in DRLs.

2) is just a night vision type of thing

The more a user interacts with an interface, the more it is perceived as a PITA, so they automated it. It works ok, but the sensor seems to make some odd calls early in the morning and later in the evening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I usually the headlight switch in the "Auto" position. In the early morning, when I'm driving into and out of shadows, the sensor will turn on the the headlights. There is enough light on the road that I can't see that the headlights are on, but I do see the dash lights dim. When I get back in the full sunlight, the headlights go of and the dash goes back to full bright (our what ever the dimmer switch is set at. This is normal behavior. I could eliminate this if I wanted to manually turn the headlights on and off, but I'm just lazy and the dash lighting changing from bright to dim doesn't bother me. Could this be what is causing the dash brightness changes you're seeing?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hi Guys
I have a 2015 Renegade latitude which has an annoying issue - when the lights are turned on the dash board lights/radio go dull. I'm told this is supposed to happen, however after a while they go bright again and a while later dull and this continues randomly. If the fans are on they go into turbo boost when bright. A bright spark at the dealer tells me this is to do with the smart alternator and is nothing to worry about its 'normal'. I understand what he is saying about the smart alternator but surely I shouldn't be seeing this fluctuation on the instrument panel/ radio / fan .
Is anyone else having or had this issue - is there a fix ?
Hey Adiebuk,

I was unable to find any service bulletins related to your vehicle’s concern. Have you considered have a second diagnosis performed at a separate FCA dealership?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ambient sensitivity / switching

Hey Adiebuk,

I was unable to find any service bulletins related to your vehicle’s concern. Have you considered have a second diagnosis performed at a separate FCA dealership?
Hey JeepCares,

Driving headlights off under Oregon gray skies the instrument lights switch automatically between daylight and night modes and back while passing roadside trees. The change is abrupt and does not fade like the overhead cabin lights do. Even with the night setting on max brightness and the day setting on min brightness (both uconnect and dash settings), the difference is still enough to be really annoying. The instrument lighting 'flicks' several times a minute. This is an issue. Add it to the list.

Thanks!

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is often a problem in cars which automatically switch their dash lighting from day to night mode. The dash will often switch back and forth in the early morning and late evening, when the sun is low and shadows are long.

Fortunately, the automatic headlights use a different, less sensitive sensor, so you're not flashing your headlights at people in these situations. Also, the headlight sensitivity is adjustable in uConnect, but the dash lighting sensitivity doesn't seem to be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.