Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we know for a fact the 500X and BU Jeep (Laredo) will see the bulk of their production at the Italian Melfi plant a new potential has cropped up.

head of FIAT-Chrysler, Sergio the Great said on Jan 29th 2014 that Brazil would not be producing the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee domestically, but would be producing smaller Jeeps.

There is potential for North America BU Jeeps to head north from Brazil instead of west from Melfi.

stay tuned...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well transport would be cheaper... Why not Mexico instead of Brazil? Wouldn't import be easier if within NAFTA?

·
Registered
465 Posts
all the recent sources seem to say Laredo over Renegade

not sure if that is just because they are copying each other or if there is a some secret insider source that is suggesting this Laredo name.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I read that Jeep might produce the Cherokee as well as the Laredo in Brazil. I got that info from Indianautoblog.com (link posted below).

Brazil has apparently been buying a lot of Jeeps recently, so it only makes sense that Fiat/Chrysler would consider producing vehicles there to reduce tariff and shipping costs. And it also will give Brazilians jobs, which I'm sure some people are very happy about.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/jeep-to-produce-cherokee-laredo-brazil-120844

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Jeeps that will be sold in Asia and Europe will be made in Brazil as well?
It's even possible they might have a plant on that end of the world, it would help greatly with cutting down on shipping costs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts