Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a new Trailhawk. I've not ever purchased new before, so I have a few questions. . . hoping some on here can share info/advice.

1. There's a fair number of 2015's and a very few 2016's in stock around (Baltimore, MD) but none with all 3 of my key package options: Cold weather, leather AND tow group. It's mainly the tow group that's missing - am I likely to talk a dealer into adding it on? I don't have the skill to do it myself, and I do want the OEM, not an aftermarket undermount.

2. Seems to me there is no major difference between 2015 and 2016 Trailhawks (beyond the warranty chage - see my question3). Am I missing something? Specifically, is there a difference regarding the transmission woes some/many have described?

3. I plan to buy the lifetime MOPAR warranty. In that case, is there any important value to the 2015's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, versus the reduced 2016 warranty?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can't answer questions 2 and 3, but I had that same problem when I was looking to buy a Trailhawk. Some on here talked about dealer taking it on, but I think they then got overcharged and the DIY kit is going to cost you a little bit more than going with factory installed. I finally ordered mine in lieu of finding one with my options. The closest TH they could find with my options had everything except the tow package and both of them were over 700 miles away.

I was going to look into the MOPAR warranty as well, but was waiting to closer to my delivery date, which is still probably at least 3 months out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At dealer today, quoted $640 for the Tow hitch/harness/bumper to be added to an already-in-stock vehicle. I'll probably come out ahead by paying that, since the only similar models I can find in stock with the Tow Group in place have at least one other option I don't want...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you goto Jeep website and build a Renegade the hitch and wire harness is $395 built into the bumper.
I know! It is a $245 charge for labor, essentially. That seems like a lot, but the total price for the TH with that added still comes to less than the one that came overseas with the Tow Group in place but also some extras I don't want. . . best would be to order custom, but I don't want to wait!

·
Registered
302 Posts
2016's are starting to appear at dealer lots so your dealer might be able to trade for what you are looking for with another dealer. I ordered a 2016 and have been waiting about 4 months as of this posting.

If you research the Renegade you will find there have been a number of TSB's especially on early production. If your purchase has had the TSB's complied with and the transmission and other software is up to date, you should avoid most of the problems reported to this forum.....at least that is my hope :)

I am planning on purchasing the lifetime added care plus warranty from MOPAR. I'm not a fan of such things but with the complexity of the vehicle and so many systems that you pretty much have to get repaired at a dealer I decided to go with it. The tranny issues and the shorter powertrain warranty for the '16 is part of the reason I decided to get one. I went with lifetime rather than time and mileage because I tend to hold on to my vehicles. The old Blazer I drive is 17+ years old with 234000 miles!

You can buy such warranties from any dealer and there is competition to sell them as they are a good source of income. I did a little checking on the internet and found a dealer selling what I wanted for $300 less than the discounted price I was quoted by my dealer! I went back to my dealer and in the end am paying $358 less than he originally quoted. A good negotiator could probably get an even better deal.

Another thing to consider when choosing a model year is the new Jeep Wave program. With a 2016 Trailhawk you get a complimentary two year membership which provides two oil changes / tire rotations a year, free loaner cars when in for routine service, $1000 trip interruption insurance and so on.... The oil changes alone could add up to a savings of $150-200.

Good luck and may you be happy with your purchase!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.