Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,684 Posts
Meh, I seldom agree with consumer reports, and I especially disagree with their approach to their brand=reliability ratings list. Although they seem to be starting to address the variable quality of a brand a teeny bit. I owned a subaru, and at the time CR had them at #2 for reliability. Which was saying something because the previous generation flat 4 was still in the process of being phased out and was notorious for leaning out cylinder #1 and blowing head gaskets. My particular car had the newer engine, and like every one of the same make and model, was plagued with self destroying wheel bearings, the worlds thinnest paint, a horribly engineer dashboard mounting setup that rattled badly and that the TSB advice to fix it just broke things and made it worse, and an incredibly fragile radiator, especially as it aged. My renegade at the time of purchase was from a brand at the bottom of the list. My renegade had less initial problems, is cheaper to maintain for most any given service, and requires less maintenance. It's also winning the less problems over the lifetime of the vehicle race.

Subaru definitely produces a more consistent vehicle, but they are still prone to issues of engineering and parts sourcing.

But in general, CR's big chart is a garbage process and some ratings are driven by their initial quality reviews, some from their long term review fleet, and some from their self reporting questionnaires. It can gloss over a LOT of stuff.

Like right now, Toyota is #1 and Lexus is #2. They are both toyota. Lexus clearly gets more TLC coming off the line and better materials? The real answer as to why toyota moved to number 1 is that lexus is full of younger, more complex designs. You have to ask yourself how much water the corolla is carrying for the brand being essentially a 20 year old car with refreshed interior and body panels. It's a simpler, more robust design. If you go talk to mechanics who were like "yeah buy a toyota", you will hear a lot of complaints about quality suffering lately. It's mostly newer more complex designs, kind of like lexus is suffering from. But if you expand the list, the RAV4 is real close to the jeep cherokee. CR likes the rav 4 and hates the cherokee. But they are both mid tier in reliability according to CR.

Honda's rating historically has been driven by honda fanboys. I don't know if Honda pushes their customers to fill out the survey or something, but something is up where hondah usually isnt' held accountable for major problems they have. Lose a class action over transmissions? Barely moves the needle. Like right now they are #5, and are being sued over issues they had implementing the same ZF9HP transmission in the renegade and cherokee that CR raked jeep over the coals for.

It also totally ignores the dealer network, which matters a lot on how much of a hassle a car is to own. Like I personally would not buy and stellantis car without living where you have a wide choice of dealers. Within an hour I happen to have 11. 13 if I want to pay $20 in bridge tolls. But Subaru I have 18 dealers. Well that is unless you want a dedicated subaru dealership. Then there's one. Most of them are just an add on brand to a dealer that really sells something else. And everything from sales to service is garbage for subaru at most of these places. There's two good ones. The dedicated dealers, and coincidentally another dealer that is also a jeep dealer. Many of those add on dealers want to sell subarus but don't want to service them and jack of the price of service, if they even have subie trained techs.

Which may be part of what you see in the ratings. Honda's quality is not as high as it seems, but honda has probably the most intrusive involvement in their franchise behavior. Their brand is thus better represented by their dealerships typically, and that includes during sales and later in service. But that shouldn't matter in terms of vehicle quality ratings. It does matter in ownership experience. You'll being on your third front end problem if the warranty process and dealership experience is low hassle.

Coincidentally, most of the brands at the bottom are tend to very reliably NOT be low hassle dealer network experiences.

Some anecdotal evidence of that being what is actually ranked, Audi's are expensive trash. I mean I want to love them, but everyone I know who has owned them has had MASSIVE problems with them in terms of durability and reliability. They are also a awful to actually perform service on. But taking it in for service is an experience in top level butt kissing and pampering. Which lasts right up until the warranty runs out unless you have deep pockets. They aren't blowing MB out of the water, but look at their respective positions.

Another is Cadillac. Their lineup is probably the least reliable of any of the GM brands right now. But the dealership experience is definitely less bad than the rest of GM. By a lot.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Interesting. Funny thing about statistics. My experience (2021 Trailhawk with just over 5,000 mi) is not like yours. A few minor things, that the dealer took care of right away under warranty.

Note that under Jeep, they don't even list the Renegade. I wouldn't be surprised if what is basically a Fiat didn't rank very highly, but...

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
We have had all most 0 problems with our TH and the few we did the dealer put us in a rental and took care of it. 2015 latitude 4x4 30k 0 problems trades in for, 2017 TH 58K.

·
Registered
2017 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Alpine White, 2018 Latitude 4x4 1.4 Omaha Orange
153 Posts
Honestly every make has it’s issues , I believe it’s all how things are maintained. I’m more proactive with things, battery every 4 years, coolant hoses every 100k/ 6 years, antifreeze every 5 years with thermostat. Trans fluids /oil every 30-50k depending on model etc . Timing belts 60k or 5 years. Sure one could say I’m wasting money , but I have yet to return on foot lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best thing I ever did was purchase a Trailhawk. Then over the course of six episodes of the 4WD electronics failing (in the worst places), along with over 30 days in the shop, I Lemon Lawed it. I received a check for about what I paid and got to keep the Renegade THawk, which I promptly sold combining the two funds to easily purchase a new Sahara two years ago, just before the auto market went crazy. We couldn't be happier now. By the way, the Sahara gets BETTER mileage, has way more room and is, of course, immensely more reliable, capable and more fun to drive. Adios Renegade! It's good for hopping curbs at the Mall and little else-in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts