Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140526/OEM06/305269979/jeep-9-speed-needs-a-reset-again

DETROIT -- Chrysler Group continues to tweak the software that operates the complex nine-speed automatic transmissions it will use to power all of its front-wheel-drive-based vehicles.

A new software recalibration covers more than 100,000 Jeep Cherokees built before May 5 to address continuing issues with the way some of the nine-speeds shift gears.

Chrysler delayed the launch of the Cherokee for almost two months last year to tweak the transmission's software.

In addition to a five-minute software reset or "reflash," a May 15 technical service bulletin advises technicians in certain cases to perform an "adaptation drive learn" -- taking the Cherokee out for a 100-minute drive to ensure it is shifting correctly.

Like many electronic transmissions, the nine-speed learns the driving habits of its main driver and adapts the shift patterns accordingly.

Not all sold Cherokees require the reflash, according to the automaker, but it is available under warranty to customers who complain about the feel or operation of the transmission.

In a written statement, a Chrysler spokeswoman said the reflash was being done "to respond to customer feedback and improve satisfaction." She said dealers were "asked to perform the software update on any unsold vehicles in inventory and for any customer who has requested improved throttle response or shift feel."

This is the third technical service bulletin and second software reflash Chrysler has issued for the transmission since the Cherokee went on sale in October.

About half of the 30 consumer complaints filed against the 2014 Cherokee on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's safercar.gov concern the operation of its transmission and powertrain.

According to dealership parts records, Chrysler stores in the United States are ordering an average of about a dozen replacement Cherokee transmissions collectively per week under warranty.

The Cherokee is the first Chrysler vehicle to use the nine-speed transmission. The second, the 2015 Chrysler 200 sedan, began arriving in dealerships this month. Ultimately, Chrysler plans to spread the nine-speed across its lineup of fwd-based vehicles.

CEO Sergio Marchionne said last week that he was not concerned about the quality of the nine-speed automatic, and that it will get better.

"There are always teething issues with every transmission I've ever built, and I mean that literally," Marchionne told reporters at an event in Michigan. "We keep tuning the transmission more and more as we get more familiar with it.

"I'm never satisfied, but I think I'm OK with its application in the current car," Marchionne said. "It will get better six months from now, trust me."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wife has been driving her KL since 12/2/13 matched with the 3.2 V6 is sweet and powerful. 9-speeds is a lot of 'code' or options for the PCU to think about.
My '02 Corvette(C5) tranny would think for a second or two before it spewed H.P.s in mass doses, the C6 was far superior in that department.
I have found that a decisive foot allows for seamless acceleration, but a lighter foot you feel the 9 gears.....well really 8 as 9 is the hard gear to get into or stay.
FYI the 3.2L manages 271 HP and the gearbox makes it even quicker.
90% city driving for my wife and my leadfoot and it gets 22.5-23.5 all day.
It can get over 30 mpg with ease in the low to mid 60s.
Just sayin'....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thats a lot of city driving, would you guys ever consider getting a hybrid in the future? electric power in city driving is great

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am not opposed to hybrids as long as they make sense from both a performance and a economical stand point. People have been saying its not worth it to make a hybrid Renegade though since its already pretty fuel efficient. There wouldn't be that much of a gain in fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not opposed to hybrids as long as they make sense from both a performance and a economical stand point. People have been saying its not worth it to make a hybrid Renegade though since its already pretty fuel efficient. There wouldn't be that much of a gain in fuel efficiency.
I'd spend extra for a hybrid Renegade. The company I work for gives a bonus to employees who drive hybrids and other "green" vehicles, along with preferred parking.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'd spend extra for a hybrid Renegade. The company I work for gives a bonus to employees who drive hybrids and other "green" vehicles, along with preferred parking.
now that is an awesome company, would you mind to mention what company that is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So far plug-in hybrids are the hidden gem for the average 30 mile daily commute. I just broke 11,000 miles in my Ford C-Max Energi and lifetime MPG is 215 MPG. The battery range is about 20 miles, but my one way commute is 16 miles and my employer offers free EV chargers and I charge at home at night. Plug-ins are great for the average American commute and you still have all the gas in the world when you need to go on a long trip.

The performance is sportier than most expect when you combine electric and gas power but my C-Max is just not a very fun or unique car by design if you know what I mean. I KEEP WAITING for a fun or SUV plug-in hybrid to be offered in the US and they keep getting delayed. People will gobble up plug-ins once they experience them and are offered on more cool models.

The Renegade is not a light vehicle but I still think it would be a perfect fit for a plug-in hybrid. Unfortunately Chrysler Fiat is way behind in this area of innovation so I don't expect it any time soon.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i don't know if we can expect to see a fun hybrid suv from a domestic car maker, instead i believe that we'll first see it from the japanese or even the german, followed by americans

·
Registered
831 Posts
So far plug-in hybrids are the hidden gem for the average 30 mile daily commute. I just broke 11,000 miles in my Ford C-Max Energi and lifetime MPG is 215 MPG. The battery range is about 20 miles, but my one way commute is 16 miles and my employer offers free EV chargers and I charge at home at night. Plug-ins are great for the average American commute and you still have all the gas in the world when you need to go on a long trip.

The performance is sportier than most expect when you combine electric and gas power but my C-Max is just not a very fun or unique car by design if you know what I mean. I KEEP WAITING for a fun or SUV plug-in hybrid to be offered in the US and they keep getting delayed. People will gobble up plug-ins once they experience them and are offered on more cool models.

The Renegade is not a light vehicle but I still think it would be a perfect fit for a plug-in hybrid. Unfortunately Chrysler Fiat is way behind in this area of innovation so I don't expect it any time soon.
agreed, but plug ins, EV's and regular hybrids get caught in basically paradox. PHEV's, EV's and Hybs are better for logging city miles, but logging city miles means you typically have below average distance travelled which increases your payback, premium for technology vs fuel savings...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I plan to have the flash done on my KL when I take it in for an oil change later next month. Shifts can be rough and erratic at times, enough that the wife complains.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I plan to have the flash done on my KL when I take it in for an oil change later next month. Shifts can be rough and erratic at times, enough that the wife complains.
keep us posted on how that goes.
how long has it been like that with you?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The whole flash thing is BS. I saw the same thing happen in the IT industry. Long ago, in the pre-internet days, software was thoroughly debugged and beta-tested extensively before release. Once software could be patched remotely, software vendors hurried products to the market, knowing they could be patched later. Are we seeing this with the Cherokee's transmission?

·
Registered
402 Posts
The whole flash thing is BS. I saw the same thing happen in the IT industry. Long ago, in the pre-internet days, software was thoroughly debugged and beta-tested extensively before release. Once software could be patched remotely, software vendors hurried products to the market, knowing they could be patched later. Are we seeing this with the Cherokee's transmission?
Pre-Internet days had programs that were 1 to 2 meg total in size. Now programs are 60+ gigs, there is no way to debug and test both to the same level.

Jumping from 6 to 9 gears is a huge leap.

The more complex something is, the harder it's to get right and more prone to failure.

Scott

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh no, not the 9 Speed tweak again :-/ this is one of the major scare factor I have toward the Renegade (that is the only compact non thirsty crossover with some off-road capability I can afford) otherwise I would go for another make while waiting for this one to gain some maturity... But no other make give such packages ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Oh no, not the 9 Speed tweak again :-/ this is one of the major scare factor I have toward the Renegade (that is the only compact non thirsty crossover with some off-road capability I can afford) otherwise I would go for another make while waiting for this one to gain some maturity... But no other make give such packages ;)
I share your concerns, however, I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with the idea the Renegade may not experience the same issues as the Cherokee as the Cherokee uses "dog clutches" and the Renegade uses "wet clutches". Read more at these two posts:

www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/57-jeep-renegade-interior/3921-new-model-concerns-3.html
and
www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/57-jeep-renegade-interior/3921-new-model-concerns-3.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pre-Internet days had programs that were 1 to 2 meg total in size. Now programs are 60+ gigs, there is no way to debug and test both to the same level.

The more complex something is, the harder it's to get right and more prone to failure.

Scott
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain" --Scotty, Star Trek :D

·
Registered
157 Posts

Scott
I read somewhere that 8 & 9 gear may never come into play in normal driving.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts