Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rented a Jeep Compass and drove it between Sacramento and Reno. What a POS car! No power going up the mountains. Vibrates like crazy when idling. Noisy as ****. The middle part of my back all the way up my spine was killing me by the time I reached Reno. I may not have noticed a lot of these problems with a short test drive. I enjoyed the short test drives of the Renegade I have done but Consumers Report makes it seem like the Renegade has the same issues as the Compass. Anyone with experience with both like to compare?

· Registered
155 Posts
I own both a 2008 Compass and a 2015 Renegade. First, the compass is far from a POS car. It is not a very expensive car, and you can feel that in a lot of ways. My compass was fantastic...but yes, I had to add some back support and yes, the ride is not "luxury car-like". My 2008 Compass is not noisy, doesn't vibrate and with a 5 spd manual, has plenty of power...but a 4 cylinder engine just isn't built for power. My Compass averages 28 mpg, however and I get 22 in the City.
Now, the Renegade is a step up from the Compass in terms of ride and comfort, but not a big step up...it is still a mid 20,000 dollar car which isn't going to get you a real smooth ride. A bit smoother ride, a few more interior luxuries, alittle more pep and I sit up higher for sure. However, it doesn't compete head to head with my daughter Chevy Acadia, but that was almost exactly 10 G more than my renegade.

I agree with Rex, maybe the Jeep brand isn't for you.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you don't want a noisy vehicle, and want a very smooth ride perhaps a Jeep isn't for you. Maybe something a little more lifeless, like a Honda?
No. A little noise is fine if the vehicle is fun and not tortuous to drive. I don't like Honda's artificial heavy slow steering feel.

· Registered
162 Posts
I've got over 25,000 miles on my Rene. I was commuting for hours each way... I live in Colorado. I've been through Rocky Mountain National Park.

I like how quiet the ride is. I've never had a problem with power. The seat fits me like a glove. I'm considering trading in for a '17 when they come out (as long as they still have my lovely orange color available).

I did have a **** of a time finding my first air filter though. 3 national chains and 3 local parts stores didn't have them. My only choice was the dealership.

I thought my only choices were the lifeless HR-V, the on road only Soul, or the undersized not very off-road capable Juke. I test drove all three and was completely disappointed. My Renegade Test drive started on a Friday night in June and hasn't ended yet. It was easier to give them money than give the Jeep back.

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Okay, I have never owned a Jeep Compass, but I do have a Jeep Renegade in standard Longitude (UK/Europe model) trim, mid spec model.

I have arthritis in most of my joints, of which my spine and hips are by far the worst affected. Also in my spine I have spondylitis and prolapsed discs. I can drive comfortably in the Renegade for a good three or four hours before stopping and then it isn't down to comfort, it's for the loo.

Mine has the 1.4 turbo MultiAir with 6 speed manual gearbox. Power is quoted as 140 hp. Okay, it ain't gonna worry a Grand Cherokee SRT, but then it isn't meant to. On a couple of occasions I have dropped it from 5th to 3rd and floored the loud pedal and it has enough power to overtake slower vehicles in a short stretch of road. There is enough power for what I need it for. I can't comment on the 2.4 Tigershark or diesel engine models as I haven't driven them.

I don't find the Renegade that noisy at idle or at speed. You will get some road and wind noise, but nothing that will drive you nuts. It ain't no S class or 7 series!

The Renegade is everything that I hoped it would be, apart from the alarm going off three times in a space of a few minutes one morning. That is the only gripe in nearly eight months of having the Renegade.

Bear it in mind that pre production mules are a test bed and if some consumer reporter has driven one, well, make your own mind up. People will evaluate the same vehicle differently. One man's drink is another man's poison.

Maybe the Renegade isn't for you, or are you just looking for the negatives?

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the Renegade isn't for you, or are you just looking for the negative

No. I'm not looking for negatives. I've test driven 3 different versions and found them to be fun to drive. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for all the responses.

· Registered
144 Posts
Maybe the Renegade isn't for you, or are you just looking for the negative

No. I'm not looking for negatives. I've test driven 3 different versions and found them to be fun to drive. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for all the responses.
So having both, I can tell you that the Renegade is more comfortable and does drive and handle better than my Compass (except for the old manual versus auto thing, which make the Compass seem to have better acceleration). To me, it just is NOT night and day difference...the difference isn't great. If you really want comfort, I would find a more traditional car
For me, the Trailhawk had the most comfortable drive and was a bit more responsive- I drove a sport 2WD, a couple Limited 4x4 and atleast 4 Trailhawks. Maybe just the sitting higher, not sure, but I liked the way the Trailhawk drove and felt better after short drives.
For long trips, well 2 hr is the longest I have driven the Renegade and I felt good. 2 h in the Compass and I also felt fine...

· Registered
11 Posts
I had a 2011 Jeep Patriot (very similar to the Compass) and drove 129,000 miles with it. I now have a Renegade and personally like it a lot better but the seats are comfortable in both IMO and the Patriot spent more time driving over paved Colorado mountain passes than most Wranglers do around here; never an issue with it.

· Registered
72 Posts
I recently rented a Jeep Compass and drove it between Sacramento and Reno. What a POS car! No power going up the mountains. Vibrates like crazy when idling. Noisy as ****. The middle part of my back all the way up my spine was killing me by the time I reached Reno. I may not have noticed a lot of these problems with a short test drive. I enjoyed the short test drives of the Renegade I have done but Consumers Report makes it seem like the Renegade has the same issues as the Compass. Anyone with experience with both like to compare?
The Compass can come with a 2.0 engine, and even the 2.4 puts out less power than in the Renegade. The automatics are different also, with the Compass offering a 6-speed auto or a CVT auto whereas the Renegade has a 9-speed auto.

I'm not sure what the configuration of the Compass that you drove was, but it sounds like it's not for you. You should be able to determine on a test drive in the Renegade whether those issues are the same, I can tell you that I have none of those issues with my Renegade.

· Registered
20 Posts
Since You Asked ...

My wife and I flew to Atlanta International the beginning of April, 2016, and picked up a 2016 Jeep Compass. The car had 17 miles on it when we picked it up. We returned it a week later after 850 miles. Jeep people – this is definitely a car, NOT a truck, sorry [basically a lifted Dodge Caliber.] We drove in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Plenty of flat areas, and big hills.

It is a Sport, with FWD, a 2.0L I4 engine, CVT, 17" Wheels, Granite Crystal Metallic paint, and Black Cloth interior [called Dark Slate Gray by Jeep.] I think that is it. I believe you can pick one up, brand new, with current discounts, for about $18,485 in Atlanta. In the rust belt, discounts are not so great, so plan on $19,485 or more if you do not qualify for all of the “sunshine up your skirt” bullshit discounts on the Jeep page.

We immediately nicknamed it the "Chump Ass."

The verdict first [why not]: Would I buy one ? Sure, but with a few changes.

Engine / Transmission: The 2.0L engine is totally gutless. The CVT [a $1,350 option] does not do you any favors. Punch Chump Ass, and you will get a lot of whine to go with your cheese, but no power at all. Time to get hit by that semi barreling down on you, on the entrance ramp. Just wamf out, and live to see another day.

Brakes: Rear drum, really ? But, they work just fine. Rear brakes are more of a tradition than a necessity. At 93,000 miles, the dealer said our ‘04 6 Wagon’s rear brakes [original from the factory] had 50% left on them. Chump Ass does have discs in front.

Ride / Comfort: Great. I liked it. The seats are great, too.

Noise: Superb wind noise suppression. Very good w/r/t road noise. Mazda – take note !

MPG: 26. Not bad for a cinder block.

Handling / Steering: No Mazda [or BMW,] but O.K. for the price of entry.

Interior: I am not a fan of black interiors – they show every freeking little piece of grass, leaf, bit of whitish crap that gets dragged in or floats into the cabin. Also, you cannot get a sunroof on a Sport [pay about $3K more for a Latitude with a “Sun and Sound” package for a sunroof ! FU FCA. Three grand for a sunroof ?] Without the sunroof, plus the black interior, we felt like we were piloting a dark cave.

Nit Picks: No climate control. You are the climate control, cracking the window to cool down a bit. Roll it up when it gets too cold. Crack again a few minutes later ... repeat. The center console armrest moves fore and aft, but there is no real locking mechanism, so be prepared for it to move suddenly. No power. No sunroof. The head rests and the “C/D” pillar conspire to create a BAD blind spot to see who is about to race up and kill you when changing lanes. In hot-lanta, a-holes will shoot by you on the right going 80 - 90 MPH when you are going the speed limit + 5. Not cool. Very dangerous. Knock it off, Jag-Offs. There is plenty of real estate on the cluster, but you have to flip around to see the outdoor temperature / miles / trip miles – kind of a PITA.

Wheels: Get the 17" wheels [a $795 option – they look pretty cool in my book.]

Doors and Hatch: They do not always close correctly. Make sure everything is locked up tight so you are not dumping your stuff on the highway, out the back. Pay attention to audible “dinging” and see the dash readout for complaints [like “gate”.]

Changes: Maybe the 2.4L engine [$545] plus the 5 speed manual [$0] or real 6 speed automatic [$1,450] transmission would help a lot. I do not know. Maybe someone can comment on this [and anything else.] A sunroof would cure the “driving a cave” effect. Throw in a Katzkin leather interior, and you have a great, inexpensive ride with pretty good space. Rip out the rear head rests to avoid killer blind spots.

Hints: The ignition key can fix the “child locks” [to OFF] on the rear doors – no screwdriver required. Just jamb the key in there and twist away. Next year – redesigned model, we will see what FCA does to the car.

It was fine. Get a ‘16 leftover in a year, or a CPO. Pay well under $15K.

Go Chump Ass !

Don

· Registered
40 Posts
First step,

Throw Consumer Reports opinion out the window. They hate everything that’s lovable.

The Renegade is far better in pretty much every category except for price and unfortunate door handle locations. The 2.4 with the nine speed handles it well and feels well powered which is totally different from the Compass! Interior is well appointed and very quiet. I could go on all day, short answer is the Renegade doesn’t have the issues of the old Compass. If you like the name you can go check out the new Compass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.