Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bold Ride had a chat with Jeep's director of product marketing Jim Morrison about the Jeep Renegade.

"The main thing was when we looked at our portfolio," explained Jim, "there was space for a smaller Jeep in the portfolio both here in the US and around the globe." Jim went on to say that Jeep took the formula of the Cherokee and applied it to this vehicle.

Is the Renegade a true Jeep though? If you take a look at the Trailhawk model, Jim would say yes. "So the Renegade gets Active Drive with a crawl ratio," explained Jim, "It has setting for Snow, Sand and Mud, but takes that a step further with a 20:1 rock crawl ratio."

I don't know a lot about what these angles mean, but they seem important so let me enlighten you guys. The Trailhawk Renegade has a 30.5 degree approach angle, 26 degree breakover angle, and a 34 degree departure angle. That compares to the Wrangler's 42.2 inch approach angle, 25.8 breakover, and 31.2 departure.

So do you think the the Trailhawk Renegade lives up to the Jeep name. Can it actually handle some off-roading? BoldRide thinks a vehicle needs three things to be truly an off-road vehicle: ground clearance, a capable drivetrain, and the right approach/departure angles. It seems that the Renegade lives up to those metrics.

http://news.boldride.com/2014/03/how-jeep-renegade-will-earn-trail-rating-please-the-masses/45780/

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll be interesting to see some of the video reviews that come out once people can get their hands on the Renegade. I want to see how the Renegade holds up to some off-road testing when someone who doesn't work for Jeep is involved. I really like The Fast Lane Cars. They should do a good job of telling us whether the Renegade lives up to the Jeep name. It's not like Mr. Morrison would tell us if it didn't.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
it seems like a good light off roader

it aint no wrangler though. but it doesnt need to be
How i see it, within it's segment, it's probably the best off-road worthy vehicle, the rest just can't reach the level of off-road capability the renegade can

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yep. i agree 100%

what other cars in this segment has a 4x4 that will lock all 4 wheels?
None to my knowledge. I think some have decent 4x4 systems but nothing as good as Jeep's, and this is with all of it's direct rivals.

·
Registered
831 Posts
what vehicle in segment has ever been asked to do off roading, NONE... these little CUVs are most at home in Suburbia and starbucks drive throughs. The little teenies will borrow at night to hang out in parking lots with their friends so they can all text someone else.. The most off roading most renegades will see are an accidental curb hop here and there...

·
Registered
465 Posts
i agree that most will not be going off roading

but the locking 4x4 actually helps alot in poor weather conditions as well

say heavy downpour or heavy snow.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is true, at times you will have a wheel slipping and with it locking at least it helps with grip to get going!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts