Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Im moving on from my TH to a 2dr Wrangler Freedom edition. Knowing how hot and cold Jeeps can be, has anyone here bought the jeep factory warranty-max care option (it basically mimics a bumper to bumper warranty)

If so, are you pleased with it?

The dealer im buying it from is a Ford dealer and has something called premium care-ESP, where they fix any issues that come up but if there is something they cant do-they have a sister Jeep dealership who works on it.

Im opting for the Jeep/Mopar warranty. Curious to hear what others have gone with

-Dave

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well, we bought a 2021 Trailhawk back in April. We don't usually go for extra or extended warranties, because statistically they don't pay off (obviously, since that's how the insurance company makes money). But this time we did -- I need to research again what-all it covers, but it's a "Vehicle Service Contract" from the dealer through Zurich Insurance for 96 months or 85,000 miles.

There's a $250 deductible, which is waived if we get the work done through the dealer.

One of the big things for us was windshield replacement here in Colorado, where there's a lot of rock damage...

Oh, I'm seeing that we also went for the "Select Protection Plan" through Zurich, for 60 months (unlimited mileage); for tire and wheel protection, alloy wheel cosmetic repair, paintless dent repair, and key protection. Again, stuff we wouldn't normally spring for, but we did in this case...

haven't had any claims yet...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, we bought a 2021 Trailhawk back in April. We don't usually go for extra or extended warranties, because statistically they don't pay off (obviously, since that's how the insurance company makes money). But this time we did -- I need to research again what-all it covers, but it's a "Vehicle Service Contract" from the dealer through Zurich Insurance for 96 months or 85,000 miles.

There's a $250 deductible, which is waived if we get the work done through the dealer.

One of the big things for us was windshield replacement here in Colorado, where there's a lot of rock damage...

Oh, I'm seeing that we also went for the "Select Protection Plan" through Zurich, for 60 months (unlimited mileage); for tire and wheel protection, alloy wheel cosmetic repair, paintless dent repair, and key protection. Again, stuff we wouldn't normally spring for, but we did in this case...

haven't had any claims yet...
your car insurance will cover windshield replacement damage.I never could see any advantage in the extended warranty as cars last a long time and damage is covered by insurance you already have. Theres always a chance an engine or transmission will go out but with US made cars that isn't very likely unless there is a manufactureing defect then the company will issue a recall and make repaire. My daughter had an engine problem with her saturn which they refused to replace they just repaired the engine. After several repairs over four years they finally put a new motor in her car and that car ran untill they got tired of it and sold it. Her problem was caused because GM would not replace the engine because doing so would mean one less vehicle couls be produced that day. Modern cars even imports are good with proper maintenence for at least 200k in todays world and they should for the price they ask for them. That said on the other hand electronic issues can suck up lots of man hours to trouble shoot and repair and cost a fortune that being the only reason i would consider an extended warranty.

·
Registered
880 Posts
your car insurance will cover windshield replacement damage.
Well, yes, but my insurance carries a $500 deductible for windshield replacement.

Now that I look in our papers, it looks like the dealer talked us into sold us a separate windshield repair/replace warranty for $999 (for 96 months).

Before you say it, yes, you're right; it would take two insurance replacement claims to recoup that. But within a couple months of having the Trailhawk, I already got a star crack from a rock strike in the windshield on the Interstate. Insurance covered the repair; which, of course, didn't help much except, I hope, keeping the crack from getting worse. It's just a matter of time around here before I need to get the windshield replaced...

It all comes down to your risk vs. cost analysis...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, yes, but my insurance carries a $500 deductible for windshield replacement.

Now that I look in our papers, it looks like the dealer talked us into sold us a separate windshield repair/replace warranty for $999 (for 96 months).

Before you say it, yes, you're right; it would take two insurance replacement claims to recoup that. But within a couple months of having the Trailhawk, I already got a star crack from a rock strike in the windshield on the Interstate. Insurance covered the repair; which, of course, didn't help much except, I hope, keeping the crack from getting worse. It's just a matter of time around here before I need to get the windshield replaced...

It all comes down to your risk vs. cost analysis...
I've got about five rock dings on mine and none filled properly so it needs replaced. Not long ago you got the license number of truck time and date then called the truck company and they paid for the replacement. Then they changed to your insurance compaNY PAYS and they charge a deductable. Big rip off. Used to be able to also find companies that would replace the windshield and eat the deductable which was nice.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've got about five rock dings on mine and none filled properly so it needs replaced.
Fortunately (or unfortunately) the crack is in the lower-left corner of my windshield, out of my direct view. So a windshield replacement, for $1,000 plus labor, isn't called for.

It's just annoying, since I can defnitely see the bubble crack out of the corner of my eye when I'm driving... :mad:

Incidentally, rock chips are normally not repairable. Only cracks or small "bullseyes" are.

I didn't use the windshield 'warranty" to (try to) fix the damage. I went through USAA, my insurance company; they didn't charge any deductible for a repair. I thought that was pretty-much standard for all insurance companies; they want you encourage you to have a crack fixed for the sake of safety, rather than replacing the entire windshield -- which would cost them big-time, and you'd pay the deductible.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Do be aware that the windscreen provides a significant amount of structural rigidity/strength on modern cars. Even more so with fixed-panel glass roofs.

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
In Florida windshield are covered for free. We have the life time Max care on our little Jeep but they don't sell that one any more.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Fortunately (or unfortunately) the crack is in the lower-left corner of my windshield, out of my direct view. So a windshield replacement, for $1,000 plus labor, isn't called for.

It's just annoying, since I can defnitely see the bubble crack out of the corner of my eye when I'm driving... :mad:

Incidentally, rock chips are normally not repairable. Only cracks or small "bullseyes" are.

I didn't use the windshield 'warranty" to (try to) fix the damage. I went through USAA, my insurance company; they didn't charge any deductible for a repair. I thought that was pretty-much standard for all insurance companies; they want you encourage you to have a crack fixed for the sake of safety, rather than replacing the entire windshield -- which would cost them big-time, and you'd pay the deductible.
cracks can be fixed? Only repair i was aware of was filling rock dings. My insuranve company pays for filling rock dings also. Yes, to have to look at those things is annoying I agree

·
Registered
880 Posts
In Florida windshield are covered for free.
You mean repair, right? Becuase I'm sure relacement is subject to your insurance deductible...

cracks can be fixed? Only repair i was aware of was filling rock dings.
Actually, small cracks (and maybe small bullseye damage) are the only damage that it's even possible to repair. They create a suction and suck the repair epoxy into the crack. And even so it's hit-or-miss (pun intended). At least you can hope that the epoxy will prevent the crack from getting bigger.

Here's my half-bullseye windshield damage, after repair by Safelite -- yes those are otherwise mostly Colorado rock chips:

Atmosphere Hood Sky Automotive lighting Astronomical object

Rock dings or chips (tiny craters) generally aren't repairable; the repair material doesn't have much to hold onto, and would almost certainly come out... I asked Safelite about that, in case the technology had improved. But no...

·
Registered
880 Posts
No in Florida it is free replacement. No deductible!
Are you sure?

Or with insurance is there no deductible for a repair? While a replacement is subject to the deductible? Because that's how I've seen it in every state where I've lived...

Actually, I'd think it was a policy of the specific insurance company, not state law...

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
The Florida windshield replacement law (also known as Florida auto glass replacement law) is a statute that waives windshield repairs. So, if your windshield needs repairs or replacement, your auto insurance provider is prohibited from applying a deductible. The windshield repair, or replacement is done for free.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Florida windshield replacement law
Wow. I had no idea. I've never heard of that being in effect anywhere else.

I can see why they did this, seeing all the people I see driving around with huge cracks all the way across their windshields right in front of the drivers.

How does it effect insurance rates?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow. I had no idea. I've never heard of that being in effect anywhere else.

I can see why they did this, seeing all the people I see driving around with huge cracks all the way across their windshields right in front of the drivers.

How does it effect insurance rates?
Many insurance companies irregardless of state offer no deductible replacement if you have comprehensive coverage.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Many insurance companies irregardless of state offer no deductible replacement if you have comprehensive coverage.
Hmmm... My auto insurance is with USAA. I'm trying to find the full text of the policy. But I did find a summary regarding "Glass Claims FAQ":

We'll waive your comprehensive deductible if we can repair the windshield rather than replace it. If
your windshield must be replaced, your comprehensive deductible will apply

In most states, your comprehensive deductible will apply to glass replacement. We may be able to
waive or reduce your deductible for glass replacement in the following states:
Arizona, Connecticut,
Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York and South Carolina. Review your policy for
more details.

Note "Florida," which Mrsig referenced.

Which state are you in?

Alternately, which insurance company do you have?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmmm... My auto insurance is with USAA. I'm trying to find the full text of the policy. But I did find a summary regarding "Glass Claims FAQ":

We'll waive your comprehensive deductible if we can repair the windshield rather than replace it. If
your windshield must be replaced, your comprehensive deductible will apply

In most states, your comprehensive deductible will apply to glass replacement. We may be able to
waive or reduce your deductible for glass replacement in the following states:
Arizona, Connecticut,
Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York and South Carolina. Review your policy for
more details.

Note "Florida," which Mrsig referenced.

Which state are you in?

Alternately, which insurance company do you have?
I have ca and oregon polocies and in ca both state farm and nationwide have paid for the replacement for me in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts