Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I parked my Jeep in a permit lot. Left it running, with the hazards on, doors locked, phone/wallet/everything but the keys in it. 10 minutes later, my Jeep was towed.
At the impound lot, turned on my car and the dash was flashing every warning possible. Flagged down the driver, asked what the hell they did and He was just as confused/worried as I was. Driver told me it would reset once I started driving. If not, take it to the dealership to get it reset. All but the check engine light turned off, took it to the dealership to get it scanned and it came back with 12 different codes.
Plant Speedometer Car Vehicle Odometer
Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

Now what?
Have the dealership reset the codes and hope the tow driver didn’t actually damage anything but have potential issues down the road that I have to pay for or go straight to the diagnostic/repair route and attempt to get the tow company to pay for any damages/repair costs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Long story short, I parked my Jeep in a permit lot. Left it running, with the hazards on, doors locked, phone/wallet/everything but the keys in it. 10 minutes later, my Jeep was towed.
At the impound lot, turned on my car and the dash was flashing every warning possible. Flagged down the driver, asked what the hell they did and He was just as confused/worried as I was. Driver told me it would reset once I started driving. If not, take it to the dealership to get it reset. All but the check engine light turned off, took it to the dealership to get it scanned and it came back with 12 different codes. View attachment 2396350927 View attachment 2396350926 View attachment 2396350927
Now what?
Have the dealership reset the codes and hope the tow driver didn’t actually damage anything but have potential issues down the road that I have to pay for or go straight to the diagnostic/repair route and attempt to get the tow company to pay for any damages/repair costs?
It is a 2017 Jeep Renegade sport, 2.4L, never had any issues with until now...

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
505 Posts
Never heard of a tow of a running vehicle before. What I’d try first is disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a good while to completely reset the computer. This method has been known to treat the Christmas tree dash syndrome effectively.

·
Registered
2017 jeep renegade
36 Posts
At the impound lot, turned on my car and the dash was flashing every warning possible. Flagged down the driver, asked what the hell they did and He was just as confused/worried as I was. Driver told me it would reset once I started driving. If not, take it to the dealership to get it reset. All but the check engine light turned off, took it to the dealership to get it scanned and it came back with 12 different codes. View attachment 2396350927 View attachment 2396350926 View attachment 2396350927
Now what?
They probably didn't put it on a dolly and two wheels were turning and two weren't. And it got confused and thought it was stuck and tried to compensate. Posabley fried four wheel drive module. And to add gas to your fire there is probley a sign in that parking lot that states towed at owners exspence and not responsible for damages.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy our forum.

Try what Jeepatron said that should work if not dealer time.

Reactions: JasoninDLH

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Sounds like an act of vandalism to me. How far did they tow it? Hoping it's just a case of resetting the codes.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
They probably didn't put it on a dolly and two wheels were turning and two weren't. And it got confused and thought it was stuck and tried to compensate. Posabley fried four wheel drive module. And to add gas to your fire there is probley a sign in that parking lot that states towed at owners exspence and not responsible for damages.
100% this.

They towed it on two wheels. If you have a FWD, the system was just freaking out from being on and not being able to manage ABS, stability control, etc. If you have 4WD, they could have done damage. This should not be a mystery to the mechanics though.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
505 Posts
4WD is flat tow only. Hope the 4WD module isn’t fried but rather just needs a reset.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This is not going to be a popular response, but you did this to yourself. You knowingly parked where you shouldn't and got towed as a result.

Many moons ago I worked as an armed Security Officer. While on foot patrol I noticed a car pull into the fire lane, the driver got out. I called out, "Sir, that's a Fire Lane, no parking !!". He called back, "I left it running and my hazard lights are blinking !". I called back, "Okay, my bad, I didn't know that if you have your hazards on you can park wherever the f**k you want !!" (yeah, I didn't like that job). The driver stopped, hung his head, chuckled then said, "You're right, that makes NO sense, I'll go park.". And he did. A little later I saw him walking to the building and I apologized for my cursing. He said, "You were right, I was wrong, I was thinking of only myself.". He never turned me in.

I've encountered many, many drivers that park where they want to the reasoning of "I'm only gonna be a minute.". I always pointed to the restrictive sign and ask, "Do you see an asterisk that says *unless you're gonna be a minute" ?".

Now, was I a frustrated cop wannabe ? Not in the least. But I HAVE seen ambulances and fire trucks have issues trying to make their way around these "gonna be a minute" vehicles. Watching paramedics having to roll their gurney down the sidewalk to make it around these inconsiderate lazy drivers thinking only of themselves. I've actually had drivers complain that the emergency vehicles were blocking them in and could I ask them to move.

Memory rant over. I'd go ahead and pull the negative cable, let it sit for 30 minutes or so and re-connect. If that doesn't clear it, take it to the dealer. Like it's been said, you will be responsible for any repairs needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is not going to be a popular response, but you did this to yourself. You knowingly parked where you shouldn't and got towed as a result.

Many moons ago I worked as an armed Security Officer. While on foot patrol I noticed a car pull into the fire lane, the driver got out. I called out, "Sir, that's a Fire Lane, no parking !!". He called back, "I left it running and my hazard lights are blinking !". I called back, "Okay, my bad, I didn't know that if you have your hazards on you can park wherever the f**k you want !!" (yeah, I didn't like that job). The driver stopped, hung his head, chuckled then said, "You're right, that makes NO sense, I'll go park.". And he did. A little later I saw him walking to the building and I apologized for my cursing. He said, "You were right, I was wrong, I was thinking of only myself.". He never turned me in.

I've encountered many, many drivers that park where they want to the reasoning of "I'm only gonna be a minute.". I always pointed to the restrictive sign and ask, "Do you see an asterisk that says *unless you're gonna be a minute" ?".

Now, was I a frustrated cop wannabe ? Not in the least. But I HAVE seen ambulances and fire trucks have issues trying to make their way around these "gonna be a minute" vehicles. Watching paramedics having to roll their gurney down the sidewalk to make it around these inconsiderate lazy drivers thinking only of themselves. I've actually had drivers complain that the emergency vehicles were blocking them in and could I ask them to move.

Memory rant over. I'd go ahead and pull the negative cable, let it sit for 30 minutes or so and re-connect. If that doesn't clear it, take it to the dealer. Like it's been said, you will be responsible for any repairs needed.
It's remarkable how some people can say so much and nothing at all at the same time lol

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
4WD is flat tow only. Hope the 4WD module isn’t fried but rather just needs a reset.
I read that the 4x4 should be lifted onto a recovery truck and yet on page 154 of the manual I cannot find it. I know it was in black and white.

Is it in any other owners manual?

It does say that the renegade is not to be towed far but only for recovery basically into line with the tow truck.

Now I am confused as usual.

I've actually had drivers complain that the emergency vehicles were blocking them in and could I ask them to move.
We have this happen every few months in the UK. People have been putting letters on the windscreen of ambulances and ranting that they cannot get out driveways or out of cul-de-sacs because an ambulance crew are inside a house working on the casualty. Such selfishness.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Latitude 4x4, 2.4 ltr
133 Posts
I read that the 4x4 should be lifted onto a recovery truck and yet on page 154 of the manual I cannot find it. I know it was in black and white.

Is it in any other owners manual?

It does say that the renegade is not to be towed far but only for recovery basically into line with the tow truck.

Now I am confused as usual.

We have this happen every few months in the UK. People have been putting letters on the windscreen of ambulances and ranting that they cannot get out driveways or out of cul-de-sacs because an ambulance crew are inside a house working on the casualty. Such selfishness.
You are correct. I remember reading in the owners manual (at least for 4wd) that the vehicle cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground. It must be towed on a flat bed. It said otherwise drivetrain damage will occur. Page 371 and 373
. Attached

1 - 15 of 15 Posts