Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It's about time they're doing this. For some time now i have been wondering when they will start testing them, good to see that's being done as we're talking about it.

Any specific tests you guys want to see them do?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think the way we crash test vehicles needs to be completely revamped. Lets bring the tests in line with real world scenarios and rank vehicles on how they pass a certain test, not on how they rank in class.

The into a tree I was texting test, the head on collision with a rig test, the I just ran a red and got T-boned test, rear ended by a pickup truck test, etc...

That would be valuable advice...

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I think the way we crash test vehicles needs to be completely revamped. Lets bring the tests in line with real world scenarios and rank vehicles on how they pass a certain test, not on how they rank in class.

The into a tree I was texting test, the head on collision with a rig test, the I just ran a red and got T-boned test, rear ended by a pickup truck test, etc...

That would be valuable advice...
IIHS tests are pretty much like that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
IIHS tests are pretty much like that.
sort of yes, but they dont provide a context. They're rated on their performance in class not on their performance over all.

If you crashed head on into a big rig are you better off in a 3500 HD pickup truck or a Honda Fit? The answer is obvious yes, but a 5 star crash test rating on the Fit misleads people to believe it IS safe, instead of relatively safe compared to other vehicles of its size in segment...

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
sort of yes, but they dont provide a context. They're rated on their performance in class not on their performance over all.

If you crashed head on into a big rig are you better off in a 3500 HD pickup truck or a Honda Fit? The answer is obvious yes, but a 5 star crash test rating on the Fit misleads people to believe it IS safe, instead of relatively safe compared to other vehicles of its size in segment...

I think you are confusing the Nhtsa star ratings with Iihs. Iihs uses eithe fixed obstacles or a sled that is set up to mimic a f-150 or f-250 (forget which) for weight and bumper height. The results are good, marginal, or poor based on projected occupant injuries from test dummy data.

They are done that way because it is a tool used to pressure manufacturers to make cars less costly to insurers by causing less expensive injuries.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
that depends on what test they did with it and how well it help up for that specific test.
Definitely. If that was the vehicle for the autonomous emergency braking test, that's a pretty poor result. ;)

For NCAP about the only thing that could be is the frontal collision test, which is offset to the passenger side it appears from their web page. For a 40mph offset head on test, that is remarkably intact. Damage wise, it looks closest to what you might expect form the NHTSA front impact test at 35mph.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Pretty well. It'll test:

Paint Hardness (PH), Ability to Land onto its wheels like a Ninja (Ninja Test), See if the seat belts hold you in the car while upside down test (Ejection Test), See if the roof panels stay on (continuation of Ejection Test), Watch to see if anyone cares the Renegade gets rolled test (The See if Anyone GAD Test) Just to name a few.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let the analysis begin:

Looks like the wheels did not collapse back into the passenger compartment, that is encouraging.

http://passioneautoitaliane.blogspot.com/2014/08/jeep-renegade-crash-test.html

Looks like the windshield is intact. That's a good thing. However, (3rd picture down) it looks like the rubber seal from around the windshield laying across the dash, gearshift, seats.
I would like to see the green one (in the trailer) out of the trailer. Get a better look at the front left side. That may (may being the operative word) be a partial head-on collision. Really hard to say!
At least some collision tests are being done and some pictures being released. Even if the tests are not being done in the US, it does give a small account of crash worthiness. Better than nothing at this point in the game.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Looks like the windshield is intact. That's a good thing. However, (3rd picture down) it looks like the rubber seal from around the windshield laying across the dash, gearshift, seats.
I would like to see the green one (in the trailer) out of the trailer. Get a better look at the front left side. That may (may being the operative word) be a partial head-on collision. Really hard to say!
At least some collision tests are being done and some pictures being released. Even if the tests are not being done in the US, it does give a small account of crash worthiness. Better than nothing at this point in the game.
First picture has the windshield duct taped in. So I'm assuming it flopped out and everything was shoved back and taped up.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Big rig vs big car = big pancake. Big rig vs small car = small pancake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
since bumper height is the same across all vehicles as per regulation, its not the size of the car that matters but the weight (and speed/acceleration). the jeep is fairly heavy car so i think it would fair well against other cars and small trucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.