Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I have to stop listening to the comedy channels on my XM radio. It's not that I want to, I have to. This vehicle has the most abysmal satellite radio system I've ever had. Why do I have to stop listening, you ask ? To save my sanity. Nothing is worse then listening to a comedian set up a joke, you're giggling along on your ride home, the punchline is coming then...................silence. Followed with "Acquiring Signal" on your display. Eventually the signal comes back and you're greeted with the sounds of the audience roaring with laughter. You MISSED the punchline !! I know the people in cars around me are wondering why I just let out a long and loud cuss word..... to no one in the vehicle. I must appear insane. My Jeep Renegade is making me appear insane.

It's not like when a song cuts out (and it does often), I actually made a game of it. I sing along in the silence, trying to see if I can be at the right part of the lyrics when it FINALLY decides to "Acquire Signal"...once again. I can't do that with a comedian telling a joke.

I've had it cut out when I'm dead stopped in traffic for several minutes. What killed the signal all of a sudden ? The International Space Station went by ? A swallow flying south, carrying a coconut by the husk ? (that one's only for the Monty Python fans...)

No more comedy channels for Mud Pie.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I didn't renew the satellite radio after the 1st year free subscription. The reception was not that great and it wasn't worth the money. I have never had a car that I would say had good satellite reception but the Renegade is probably the worst. Last April we had a 3 month XM free trial and cancelled it after 2 months.

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
I just renewed 3 year for $99.00 bucks. We have not had any problems with ours all of my country channels come in great.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I listen to XM stations all up and down the dial. I love it. The siganl drops inside parking garages toward the center of the building, and on rare occasions outdoors (like once a week for just a moment). Otherwise, reception is excellent.

My wife's Buick performs similarly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine drops signal at times that appear to make zero sense. Totally open highway, clear sky, no buildings, cell towers, power lines, etc., it just drops. There are sections of highway where I always lose signal. Always. When I have a passenger I do, "Three, two, one.." and snap my fingers, signal drops. They are amazed and ask how I do that. I just wait and go, "One, two, three.." snap my finger and signal comes back (because it always fades/comes back in the same area). What's around me ? Cows. Methane gas cloud perhaps ?

I've had my radio playing in my driveway and have had it drop and come back, but not every time. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it drops.

I had a cheap aftermarket external Audiovox XM radio in my previous car for over 10 years. This Jeep has dropped signal more times in one month than the Audiovox did in 10 years while traveling on the EXACT same roads.

I've checked the antenna, well, looked at it, not much to check. All appears good. I've looked into aftermarket antennas, nothing really out there. It's just another "undocumented feature" in this Jeep; crappy satellite radio reception.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I didn't renew the satellite radio after the 1st year free subscription.
Satellite radio?? Seriously or is that a wind-up for the Comedy Channel? Is it April Fools day? (April 1st)?

I have Am, Fm and DAB and all channels are free.

DAB is particularly bad as it often loses the signal but hey, at least I don't have to pay for it. :p:p:p

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have DAB here in the States, but we have HD radio. Why don't we have DAB like most of the world ? We gotta be different, it's the American way.... The world goes metric, we stayed with imperial. Doesn't matter that metric is easier (I was taught metric in school...for no good reason). This is 'Merica !! Basically, if the world says "Up", we HAVE to say "Down". Logical ? Not at all, but most governments aren't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine drops signal at times that appear to make zero sense. Totally open highway, clear sky, no buildings, cell towers, power lines, etc., it just drops. There are sections of highway where I always lose signal. Always. When I have a passenger I do, "Three, two, one.." and snap my fingers, signal drops. They are amazed and ask how I do that. I just wait and go, "One, two, three.." snap my finger and signal comes back (because it always fades/comes back in the same area). What's around me ? Cows. Methane gas cloud perhaps ?

I've had my radio playing in my driveway and have had it drop and come back, but not every time. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it drops.

I had a cheap aftermarket external Audiovox XM radio in my previous car for over 10 years. This Jeep has dropped signal more times in one month than the Audiovox did in 10 years while traveling on the EXACT same roads.

I've checked the antenna, well, looked at it, not much to check. All appears good. I've looked into aftermarket antennas, nothing really out there. It's just another "undocumented feature" in this Jeep; crappy satellite radio reception.
My renny is the same way. Open road and it still cuts out. No rhyme or reason 75% of the time.

My Dart, on the other hand, rarely cuts out unless going through a tunnel or heavy tree cover. Even still, sometimes even going through Pittsburgh's Squirrel Hill tunnel, I swear that Dart has maintained signal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine drops out all of the time. Even in open sky areas. These are the same places that my Silverado doesn't lose signal. I am guessing that it is an antenna problem but cannot find an adpater from the regular SXM antenna to the one in the jeep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in the NW US and I found that when I loose the signal it is when I have a large hill or very heavy forest (next to the road) and those are to the South of me. If the hills are in another direction I am fine. I believe it is because the satellites are towards my South.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in the NW US and I found that when I loose the signal it is when I have a large hill or very heavy forest (next to the road) and those are to the South of me. If the hills are in another direction I am fine. I believe it is because the satellites are towards my South.
I wish I could claim such picturesque blockages, but I live about 40 miles outside of Houston and here it's flatter than a month old beer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts