Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Jeep Renegade Media Systems

133K views 63 replies 30 participants last post by  Nev 
#1 ·
The BU Renegade will be available with two stereo head units. The base unit is a 5 inch screen that uses the Microsoft/FIAT software. The 6,5 inch unit uses the award winning QNX based Chrysler software. Both systems will be branded Uconnect regardless.

Both the 5 inch and the 6.5 inch unit should include:

• Blue Tooth
  • Digital Audio Broadcast
  • HD Radio
  • Digital Media compatibility
  • Satellite Radio
  • Navigation
  • USB connectivity
  • AUX audio inputs

See less See more
#2 ·
Android Auto??

So I was watching the Google I/O keynote speech yesterday and in the Android Auto presentation Jeep was listed in the names of automakers working with Google on Android Auto. They also mentioned that it would ship in some cars this fall. Then I saw this image:
http://cdn.carbuzz.com/images2/400000/7000/200/407201.jpg

I don't own a current jeep, nor have I sat in one with the IVI system, but I do not recall seeing anything mentioned about 3d map view. Does the current Jeep IVI nav offer 3d satellite style view?

If not...then I am getting pretty excited.

#3 ·
The Android system won't be in cars till 2015, so maybe Jeep will switch over to it in next year's production cycle.

People would be crazy to not pay the extra to get the QNX system since its so good. I don't trust much that has the Fiat brand associated with it.

#4 ·

Great find @keymonkey! I'm in the same boat so can't say FOR SURE. However I do want to say that they don't. As BMW and MErcedes have just begun to offer this technology in their respective systems, they're usually ahead of the pedestrian brands.

But again, I can't confirm either way...

#10 ·
Heading off tomorrow morning to get the '07 Liberty 'inspected' for a recall hitch. While I'm wasting an hour, I'm going to check out the Chrysler UCONNECT and see if I like it.

I wonder if the GPS will show anything while offroad to the point of off-grid...

#17 ·
I just hope the system is better than what is in the current Fiat models. I have a Abarth the system durability is really poor. It can't handle heat at all. The screen locks up or wont display titles properly or sometimes doesn't work at all. Then if I use my iPod in the USB it is not as loud as the regular stereo/ CD/ Satellite. I paid for the upgraded Beats and it was not worth the money.

#18 ·
Nothing beats is slapped on is worth the money. Audio wise, they pretty much just sell an eq curve and a badge. Half the time, the eq curve is simply to make the non-beats mode sound like junk.

iPod via USB is quieter than the built in stuff in a lot of cars. It's pretty common.

The heat sensitivity sounds awful though. What kind of outdoor temps are killing it?

#22 ·
I can say if I invest in decent audio equipment, I'll be using a windshield shade to keep from frying the electronics. Often I can't leave my hand on the dash more than 3 seconds and that usually means its over 140 F.

When its like that, my Scion radio comes on spontaneously.

And thats in Ohio, along the north coast. Never mind any state south and sunny.

#24 ·
I have a retired friend who has his own chauffeuring business taking riders from our rural area to regional airports, medical centers, etc. He uses a large screen Garmin unit mounted where the left A pillar meets the windshield. He seems well satisfied with the setup, and it gives him a large amount of information, including where traffic speed cameras are located. Something to consider, and it is much less expensive than a built-in system.

#29 ·
I've been pondering the 6.5 upgrade. Anyone tell me if I'm worng on my reading of things, but I interpret the manual for the 6.5 and options sheets to imply the following.

1) you can get the 9 speaker setup without getting the 6.5
2) The 6.5 charges you $1200 for navigation that is probably at best on par with a $150 GPS unit.
3) The only other thing that appears to be exclusive to the 6.5 is the use of the smartphone apps, and their on-star like service and this is due to the 6.5 offering you the opportunity for crappy 3G cellular connection with the mother ship for the low low price of $20 a month.

Am I mistaken or missing anything?

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks NE and Raz-o I think you're right on all points.

And here's some questions:
Is there dynamic backup in all stereo models? Will I have it with an aftermarket unit?
Aren't there some car functions managed thru the OEM headunit?
Is the 6 speaker setup using an amp?
Will the GPS unit locate me in MOAB? or is it good only on-road?

The main reason I'm looking for the 6.5 is its functionality and seeing a large screen in backup mode. Just a little nicer. A 6-7" GPS on the dash is a bit cumbersome.

In truth, I'd rather have a storage hole and a mount for an 4G ipad over it. Kinda like a Tesla screen. Bluetooth music to the speakers and look at the OBDII readouts.

#31 ·
If you mean the backup camera, I believe it is on all of them. Might not be in the base sport head unit.

Is the 6 speaker using a direct amp? Dunno, but in all liklihood it is simply discreet components up front witha crossover and only has 4 channels of amplification. 9 speaker might be 4 channels plus a powered sub, or a 6+1 amp. Or 9 discreet amps (HIGHLY doubt that at this price point).

Yes, based on the mopar video manuals on you tube, the head unit definitely manages some of the vehicle configuration.

No idea on the quality of the nav.

#34 ·
I can tell you that my similar (but larger) 8.4" Uconnect system in my 2015 Challenger has the SD card slot in the center console. I would assume it is the same in the Renegade.

#46 ·
The Uconnect does not support Mirrorlink. It does have its own Uconnect app, but there is not much you can do with it except for a few streaming providers. It seems like they are perhaps halfway there but whether they decide to develop uconnect further or go to carplay/mirrorlink in the future....I would bet that uconnect never gets any better.

#48 ·
I have the 8.4 in the Challenger and I like it a lot. It has the performance pages, gauges, and other stuff that I wouldn't necessarily care about in the Renegade.

I like the 5.0 the Renegade has since all I really use it for is the radio and the backup camera. It works well for both of those functions. And I like the "two knob" look of the 5.0 better than the 6.5.

#49 ·
I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but is there a limit to the number of songs/files you can have on a USB stick? I have a Jetta with a memory stick in the glovebox, but there's a limit of like 2200 so my 64gb USB can only hold about 2gb of songs as it just reads the first 2200.

Someone else posted a link to a TINY USB stick on amazon that barely sticks out. Gonna order one, but don't want to spend extra money if the extra storage is useless. Thanks for any info!

#51 ·
. . . Someone else posted a link to a TINY USB stick on amazon that barely sticks out. . .
Yeah, I got several of these Cruzer Fit(tm) flash drives from SanDisk thanks to the post on here. It is barely noticeable. I only have ~600 songs on it so I don't know what the limit is.

#53 ·
I just copied all the files (directories) from my iTunes folder on my computer. Any CD's I had were previously imported to the computer through iTunes. Maybe this is the difference. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.