Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Jeep owners!

Here's my story, I saw these renegades out on the road a couple years ago and I hated the look! I thought who'd ever buy this pos. Then I test drove one. OH.MY.GOD!! I want one. completely fell in love. Got me thinking bout getting one and trading my beloved Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback. I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. BUT before I say BETTER THINGS, I want to get an opinion from people who already own these Jeeps! What type of reliabilities do these jeep bring to the table? I know these are not equipped Jeep engines but rather Fiat engines am i correct? how do these hold up? I've never owned a Jeep but i definitely want to start this trend in my life! I'm only 26, not a lot of money so I need something that'll be a bit reliable and FUN! i know the FUN factor is already there. Help me out with the YES or NO on whether to buy it or not. I'm looking at the trailhawk one. So, please through me your reviews. GOOD and BAD! Much appreciated and looking forward for you guys to make me even more interested.

P.S. These Jeeps aren't too girly are they? lol. I'm a dude.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a Trailhawk. it one year old and has over 19k miles on it. No major issues. You will get some mixed reviews, however there is more happiness versus problems

·
Registered
476 Posts
Definitely not girly!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think the quality issue is that the quality is inconsistent. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it seems like it can be ugly.

We have a '16 TH, bought in January '17 (May '16 build date). It's a fun, solid ride. It's my wife's daily driver.

I was apprehensive before purchasing, and I've still got my doubts, but it's growing on me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently have 117,000 miles on my 15 Trailhawk. They reliability has been excellent. It still has the original tie rod and ball joints. The original brakes. It is still a joy to drive. The motor is still tight as it doesn't use any oil in the 7500 mile oil changes.

Only one major problem occurred at 34,000 miles and that was a faulty transmission which was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I currently have 117,000 miles on my 15 Trailhawk. They reliability has been excellent. It still has the original tie rod and ball joints. The original brakes. It is still a joy to drive. The motor is still tight as it doesn't use any oil in the 7500 mile oil changes.

Only one major problem occurred at 34,000 miles and that was a faulty transmission which was replaced under warranty.

You had the transmission replaced at 34,000 miles and you say "reliability has been excellent" ? Really? I mean it's cool the rest of the vehicle parts have held up, but it is the transmission that is at the root of so many of the "reliability" debates on this forum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Renegade will be 2 years old next month with 14000 miles on the clock & has been off the road for a total 14 weeks in the last six months due a core plug that failed 5 times. Finally Jeep admitted defeat & fitted a new engine !!. The following has also been replaced, seat-belt buckle, turbo oil return pipe, clutch & flywheel & engine mount. Back in at the dealer today due to an exhaust leak which is filling the car with fumes while parked in traffic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Renegade will be 2 years old next month with 14000 miles on the clock & has been off the road for a total 14 weeks in the last six months due a core plug that failed 5 times. Finally Jeep admitted defeat & fitted a new engine !!. The following has also been replaced, seat-belt buckle, turbo oil return pipe, clutch & flywheel & engine mount. Back in at the dealer today due to an exhaust leak which is filling the car with fumes while parked in traffic.
Jesus Chrysler!!!
WTF! excuse my french but that's terrible. Maybe I should wait a couple more years until they get a little better. Person up there had their trans replaced at 34k and you couldn't even enjoy yours. Thanks for everyone's insight. They're awesome looking but I guess i'll keep my little red hatch elantra for now. it's sharp and quick for what it is. I'll just admire the look of the TH for now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You had the transmission replaced at 34,000 miles and you say "reliability has been excellent" ? Really? I mean it's cool the rest of the vehicle parts have held up, but it is the transmission that is at the root of so many of the "reliability" debates on this forum.

I had a Honda that the Transmission went out at 2800 miles but never had another issue. So what is your point? My point is **** happens.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's like others have stated: if you get a good one, reliability is great, but if you get a faulty one, not so much. I'm not sure you should let that scare you off, though. Any car these days has the potential of having problems, faulty equipment or just not put together right. A car is the sum of its parts, and any one of those parts could be defective unfortunately. But I suspect any car forum for a particular model is going to have similar horror stories, and in my case at least, I don't believe my car is going to have those problems. If I did I wouldn't have bought it. But there is still that risk. That's what a warranty is for, fortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This makes a good poll to make on the forum for the 2014/15 Jeep renegade members to participate:

1- Had to visit the dealer for unusual issues ( Transmission fail, forgot to screw something, part missing)
2- Had to visit the dealer for just the normal issues (Brakes, sparks, lights)
3- Had to visit the dealer just for schedule maintenance ( Oil and fluid )

it will be interesting to know after 3 years on the market.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In a lot of cases, reviews on some things tend to be more about people bitching then people who have positive experiences. It can give products a bad wrap if the positive reviewers don't chime in. I came from a MINI Cooper S, forums had a decent amount of complaints/problems. I never had one single issue the 2 and half years I owned. Oil changes only. Renegades are new so the big following isn't there yet. But I can see the negatives start to be far less common once the following is bigger and more happy customers give their 2 cents.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One year. 27k miles on my 2016 Sport 4x4 2.4L. The only issue I had was the traction control but that was fixed with a software update. The only thing it's been to the shop has been for regular service and some upgrades. It's been solid.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hello Jeep owners!

You might not notice it but by asking this question, you are subconsciously doing it to yourself.
Don't worry about being"girly" my man, it's how you carry yourself. Have some confidence, if you are not a girl, then you should not worry about the word "girly" being implied to you.

You know why? Because that does not describe who you are. Or is it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I motored the Turbobrick through 13k miles in about 3 months through all sorts of conditions. No off-roading though because I didn't get it for that.

I have the 2016 4x4 sport 1.4t. No problems with anything unless I caused it myself, because I like to tinker (watch how grumpy it gets when you forget to plug the boost sensor back in!!). Great little vehicle. I didn't see anything girly about it; it is my greyhound's favorite place to sleep when outside; My wife's opinion is that the Renegade is too ugly to be girly; Most importantly, my 8 year old son loves it (and the turbo noises!). I'm pretty sure he would have told me if it was girly, because kids can be savage like that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I motored the Turbobrick through 13k miles in about 3 months through all sorts of conditions. No off-roading though because I didn't get it for that.

My wife's opinion is that the Renegade is too ugly to be girly.
She is right, this renegade model is ugly. Uniquely ugly but sexy, in a way it stands out above the rest.

If only she's reliable, she's a keeper but (sigh) a CPU in a box with wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know what these people are going on about...2016 Trailhawk has me held hostage! All it wants to do is go everywhere! Dirt trail? Wheel pulls that way. Mud? Let's GO!!! Wanna go camping? It so has you covered. I have done things in this little terror that stock wranglers won't do. Hell,camping last night I think it scared people away. Just remember,it is YOUR Jeep...the onboard computer for the transmission will do what YOU want it to do...others won't get it

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't know what these people are going on about...2016 Trailhawk has me held hostage! All it wants to do is go everywhere! Dirt trail? Wheel pulls that way. Mud? Let's GO!!! Wanna go camping? It so has you covered. I have done things in this little terror that stock wranglers won't do. Hell,camping last night I think it scared people away. Just remember,it is YOUR Jeep...the onboard computer for the transmission will do what YOU want it to do...others won't get it
Wow your Trailhawk is one of a kind! You should promote your trail trips to sell more Fiat. I mean Jeep!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow your Trailhawk is one of a kind! You should promote your trail trips to sell more Fiat. I mean Jeep!!
Not gonna deny it, the 1.4L turbocharged model is basically a chubby Abarth. I love the thing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts