·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thanks . when you look at them they do not seem lose and you cant move them but trust me when your car is turning and back of body is trying to flex they move. the rivits are still in same place just put nut and bolt in next to them and that was it.

·
Super Moderator
1,579 Posts
Tried to look on mine, but I can't see it as I've only got the small inspection hatch on my boot, not the whole removable panel. Will try and stick a camera in there tomorrow. (Too lazy to pull the entire side trim off.)

Check the Lancia/Fiat/Alfa stamp on that strut. Parts bin special.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i didnt need to remove the main panel just the ones that look like big speaker panels. But if you need to take panel out you need to remover the tie downs ( hex ) the back fold down seats just one hex bolt then just pull panel out. i will take photos and upload them later today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What did you use to remove the panel in the cargo area? I'm having a hard time finding any tips or instructions for removal.
have you got panels like my car look like big speaker panels if so they just pull off. pull them starting from the end nearest the front of the car. If you dont have panels like mine you will have to take the back seat out to get panel off .
this video shows how to take back seats out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i didnt need to remove the main panel just the ones that look like big speaker panels. But if you need to take panel out you need to remover the tie downs ( hex ) the back fold down seats just one hex bolt then just pull panel out. i will take photos and upload them later today.
I'll check out my "speaker" panels this weekend and see what I can do. Really don't want to have to take the seat out and go through all that mess.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@zippy How many bolts did you end up adding? I'm grabbing some hardware from work today to do this. I'll shoot a video/take pictures for everyone as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,579 Posts
Any anti rust treatment used?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Any anti rust treatment used?
I'm going to use some silicone on mine. It's in a pretty dry area though. Unless you're getting condensation in there, it shouldn't be too high of a risk for rust. Better safe than sorry though!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Dacia Dusters suffered from after market holes that were not pre treated with an anti rust solution yet they fell apart at the post drilled holes. It costs a few pennies for peace of mind.

Silicone will not prevent the metal that has its paint coating removed from rusting.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Excellent post Justin and TY.

Keep in mind that if the issue arises again then all you need to do is reinforce where your bolts are getting passed through the strut. Use a 3mm plate on either side and it will prevent stretching/tearing of the hole. I suspect that is what's happening with the original rivet. (y)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts