Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If someone is going to tow a boat, it will be a very small boat and trailer, i don't see anyone hauling anything too big with a weight cap like that

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were to tow anything, it would be either a small motorcycle (or pair thereof), or a snowmobile trailer with a couple of sleds. Nothing major. I just don't trust these light-duty transmissions when towing. I have a diesel pickup for serious towing.

Rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wish we could have the diesel for towing. I have an 1100 lb pop up that the 2.4 can tow, (Libby doesn't feel it, so I don't worry). I've never towed with a 4, but I also don't tow often. That's more than 50% of the limit (empty), and the pup can hold another 200 lbs, but I usually only have 50.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I haven't done much towing, but have heard it's recommended to get a transmission oil cooler if you're towing heavy loads close to the towing cap

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish we could have the diesel for towing. I have an 1100 lb pop up that the 2.4 can tow, (Libby doesn't feel it, so I don't worry). I've never towed with a 4, but I also don't tow often. That's more than 50% of the limit (empty), and the pup can hold another 200 lbs, but I usually only have 50.
Oh you'll feel that, but you'll also need to be mindfull of the GVWR. You may only be at 50% of towing limit but if the truck is loaded with bodies and additional gear it brings you much closer to the edge...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't done much towing, but have heard it's recommended to get a transmission oil cooler if you're towing heavy loads close to the towing cap
Absolutely. I've towed pups for several years and the first thing I did was get the tow pkg for the Liberty which includes a tranny cooler. I never went over half the rating because of the short wheelbase plus I didn't want to stress the transmission. The tow set up for the Renegade includes a tranny cooler. It's great that it comes with trailer sway control however I agree that 50% will be felt.

·
Registered
465 Posts
towing will be tough

4 cylinder engine will be under lots of stress

transmission and drivetrain as well.. maybe light towing...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agreed - that is why I'd rather keep the Liberty and use that when I need to tow the pup. That would also give me the option to upgrade to a larger pup with no worries. In the last few years, I have only towed once per summer for a long weekend close to home with no steep hills. Plus, I think I'd rather keep all the dirt that comes with camping in the senior vehicle!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Absolutely. I've towed pups for several years and the first thing I did was get the tow pkg for the Liberty which includes a tranny cooler. I never went over half the rating because of the short wheelbase plus I didn't want to stress the transmission. The tow set up for the Renegade includes a tranny cooler. It's great that it comes with trailer sway control however I agree that 50% will be felt.
Good stuff! At least you went about it the right way, especially with not even exceeding half of the rating.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where have you found these details about the Renegades tow pack? I can't seem to come across anything concrete.

However I suppose its fairly straight forward, Tranny cooler, sway control, receiver and harness...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I saw in the Cherokee features that an aux trans cooler is available, but I suppose it could be meant only for the 6 cylinder.

I know one should never assume, but I thought they would make a trans cooler for the 2.4 to help it out...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw in the Cherokee features that an aux trans cooler is available, but I suppose it could be meant only for the 6 cylinder.

I know one should never assume, but I thought they would make a trans cooler for the 2.4 to help it out...

oh indeed, I was just hoping you had stumbled into some trim pack info or something by chance :D See I think the decision not to bring the diesel over to NA is foolish, the D has the most towing capability and its not offered to the country that is most likely to use the Renegade to haul...

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh indeed, I was just hoping you had stumbled into some trim pack info or something by chance :D See I think the decision not to bring the diesel over to NA is foolish, the D has the most towing capability and its not offered to the country that is most likely to use the Renegade to haul...
Sadly, no. I completely agree. That diesel set up would be perfect. I don't suppose there will be any way for one to buy it "later" from Europe and bring it over...?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Diesel is amazing but it seems like auto makers don't want to bring them over here in the masses, rather keeping them for the eastern countries. No hope for diesels

·
Registered
99 Posts
The 2.0-LITER MULTIJET II TURBODIESEL option in the US would be great. It is rated to tow 3300 Lbs, It could make a perfect emergency back up tow vehicle for my horse. My trailer, horse and tack weighs between 3260 Lbs. and 3310 Lbs. Not my major tow vehicle, but a good back up if needed.

There are several of us that could and would use the extra towing capacity of 3300 Lbs. vs. 2000 Lbs. We could tow a small boat, pop up trailer, off road and on road motorcycle(s), snow mobile(s), PWC’s etc. After all, Jeep is noted for out door adventures. All of the above contribute to extending the things we do as out door adventures. A 4x4 sure can come in handy towing a boat into or out of the water on the ramp. The ramp can get a little slippery. The torque of a diesel will certainly help get a wet, heavy boat out of the water as well as the 4x4 system.

I think the diesel might make it to the US. If Jeep is watching this forum or any other forum about the Renegade, they’ll notice many members complaining the diesel option is not available in the US. ….also….. with the popularity of diesel’s growing in the US there is hope. Ram and Jeep now have the 3.0L VM Motori diesel engine. Maserati Ghibli and the Quattroporte offer the same engine. Nissan is committed to a Cummins diesel in their new pickup and Toyota is rumored (if not committed) to a diesel in their pickup. Chevy Cruze now has a diesel. It is made by VM Motori as well. Granted the 2.0L diesel in the Renegade is made by Fiat not Vm Motori. However, Fiat now owns 100% of VM Motori. They bought out the 50% that GM used to own. That being said, Fiat is committed to diesel engine manufacturing. With diesel power known to meet US standards in their “bag” of diesel engines, they have less worry about meeting standards than they once did. In the infamous 5 year plan, the Renegade is due for a “Mid-cycle refresh” in 2017. That’s a great time, if not sooner, to offer a diesel power option in the Renegade.
Just my 2 cents worth…

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree that diesel popularity is on the rise, the motori in the RAM is selling at a rabid clip! but i thought i had heard the KL would not be getting diesel in NA so that might not be the best sign for renegade, then again the GC did set precedent...

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the diesel Renegade can achieve excellent fuel economy numbers, then Jeep might bring them over. The problem with diesel options is the price of the engine. Most people who would be buying a lower price point vehicle such as the Renegade would not want to make a $4,000 dollar markup just for a diesel engine. The Ram and Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesels are offered in high-end packages and high-end vehicles. People who can afford high-end vehicles and packages can also afford and be willing to pay for a diesel. Generally speaking, middle class and upper class people will not purchase a Renegade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Generally speaking, middle class and upper class people will not purchase a Renegade.
So what are you saying?! I'm low class LOL! Kidding...
I'm no class-warrior but the "middle class" has been eviscerated in the US.

So one of the reasons I was considering the 6-speed trans is the potential for towing a small trailer, camper, motorcycles, or jet skis. Shouldn't the manual tranny offer a bit more robust (simpler) construction and allow for precise transmission control better suited for towing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So what are you saying?! I'm low class LOL! Kidding...
I'm no class-warrior but the "middle class" has been eviscerated in the US.

That's why I was very careful in saying, "Generally speaking". My wife and I fall into the middle class category and we would consider the Renegade "if" it had a diesel option.

So one of the reasons I was considering the 6-speed trans is the potential for towing a small trailer, camper, motorcycles, or jet skis. Shouldn't the manual tranny offer a bit more robust (simpler) construction and allow for precise transmission control better suited for towing?

It really depends on how much the transmission is designed to tow. A manual isn't necessarily better for towing. As a matter of fact, FORD and GM no longer offer a manual transmission in their 3/4 quarter ton and 1 ton diesel trucks. If built and designed correctly, automatic transmissions can be more durable. We have a 2500 Ram Cummins for our towing needs.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts