Origin: Fiat (Brazil)
Paired with:
1.6 E.torQ/Tritec
Available in Europe and Asia
Gear range: 5.10

·
Registered
831 Posts
It really is unfortunate that the only way a North America can get their feet on three pedals is if you go base FWD. Really a shame...

·
Registered
194 Posts
It really is unfortunate that the only way a North America can get their feet on three pedals is if you go base FWD. Really a shame...
It truly is a shame. In fact, it may eliminate the Renegade from my purchase plans. Especially if the manual is only offered with the 1.4T and towing (even my dirtbike or a small utility trailer) is not an option.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anyone else nervous about the 9-speed transmission given what happened with the Cherokee?
ABSOLUTELY, I've been reading about the Chrysler maximum care lifetime extended warranty and I think it will be a must for me. I've been searching and reading and it seems it can be found discounted to about $2,000. Well worth the insurance for me as I drive low miles and keep my cars about 15 years.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ABSOLUTELY, I've been reading about the Chrysler maximum care lifetime extended warranty and I think it will be a must for me. I've been searching and reading and it seems it can be found discounted to about $2,000. Well worth the insurance for me as I drive low miles and keep my cars about 15 years.
It is a shame you have to consider a $2000 warranty as a built-in cost due to a known weak-point in reliability, the nine-speed auto in this case.
I keep my vehicles a long time myself, my current vehicle has 171,000 miles and never seen a mechanic except for tire changes. I would hate to feel I had to add a couple of thousand dollar warranty package to the cost of ownership to accommodate protection from a known issue.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I keep my vehicles a long time myself, my current vehicle has 171,000 miles and never seen a mechanic except for tire changes.
That is outstanding, what make and model is that?

I wish my luck had been better, my 2000 Honda Odyssey, 145,000 miles on it has had its share of extended warranty work, not what I was counting on with a Honda, but in 2000 it was only the 2nd model year for the new, big, heavy Odyssey, to many bugs for Honda to get right. I'm on my forth automatic transmission, known recall and service bulletins for Honda, they paid for the first two, the third, out of warranty, they paid half. The forth one, I called American Honda, to explain I would never be buying a Honda again..., all of a sudden, they paid for the forth transmission.

Now, my 2000 Chevy Impala, 95,000 miles, I skipped the extended warranty, but the auto trans went on that one just outside of the three year warranty, got them to pay half.

So, do I believe in Extended Warranties, yes, YMMV. Many have good pros and cons for and against them. So this time, it is Subaru Forester for my wife and a Jeep for me (got hooked renting one last year in Sedona).

HOWEVER, it is a Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat, look at Consumer Reports, for actual owners feedback, yes I'm a member and understand the drawbacks of some of the Editors comments, you find the following:
Predicted Reliability:
Jeep Cherokee, to new to rate
Jeep Wrangler, Worse than Average
Fiat 500, Much Worse than Average
Dodge Dart, Better than Average

So, maybe, just maybe, FAC has figured out how to build in more quality on the Dodge Dart, and maybe, just maybe, they will try to bring that quality over to the Renegade.

BUT, not holding my breath, spending $2,000 for a Lifetime warranty, gets me over the why would I buy Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat quality and takes me to, okay, it's a Jeep, enough offroad capability for me and gives me a little peace of mind, that I'm willing to spend money on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is outstanding, what make and model is that?
The vehicle with 171,000 is a Ford Escape. It has been amazingly reliable. We too, have an Odyssey with 22,000 miles. So far, so good but it has had some warranty work. I hope we don't have the repetitive issues you described. I have traditionally skipped extended warranties, preferring to self-insure by banking the money for the warranty. I have only had one costly out-of warranty repair and it was on my '99 Intrepid (one of Car & Drivers 10-best for 1999). It was due to the now-notorious Chrysler 2.7 sludge problem. Even though it was a $4K repair, I am still ahead considering the number of vehicles that did not require work and I did not purchase extended warranties for. As you indicated, YMMV and what works for one may not work for another. As cars get more complex, especially transmissions with 9 speeds (or CVTs), I could see one opting for the warranty.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Where are you guys seeing a lifetime warranty by Chrysler? Best I'm seeing on the Jeep website is 5/100k for $1000.

I bought an supposed top-tier insurer extended warranty once and it went bankrupt one month after AMBest rated it A-. So much for that. I did get 4% back after 7 years in bankruptcy court.

And I put 25k miles a year on cars. So I'd like a lifetime drivetrain for less than 5% of the purchase price thru Jeep USA. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Where are you guys seeing a lifetime warranty by Chrysler? Best I'm seeing on the Jeep website is 5/100k for $1000.
I discovered that Chrysler itself sells Extended Warranties, all the way up to Lifetime / Unlimited Mileage (that is the one I'm getting). I read on other Jeep forums the warranties are sold by your Jeep Dealer directly, but several Chrysler Dealers also run their own websites and you can buy your extended warranty from them. Since they are authorized Chrysler dealers, your Extended Warranty is good at any Jeep dealer. Here are a few links I found while researching the subject. Of course you could always use the websites to get an idea of how much discount you can get and use it to negotiate with your dealer and see if he will match the price.

Unlimited Maximum Care Warranty
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/unlimited-maximum-care-warranty-1307603/

Chrysler Warranty Direct offers genuine factory backed Chrysler Service Contracts at deeply discounted internet only pricing. Why pay retail prices at your local dealer when we can offer you the same coverage plan for less?
http://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.c...Bfw60bSed5r9onCNO6ZOruuX4eyvmuEGcyxoC3Zbw_wcB

You can look up pricing options here, I tried the Compass and Patriot as they seem to be in the same rough range as the Renegade may be.
http://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/get_coverage/vehicle_info

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thank you CalTom. Great information.

In my prior situation, the warranty company used their income to give to a 'secondary insurer' who went belly-up. Effectively shutting everything down.

I highly recommend never using a second party warranty service but rather only use a factory warranty service. Even the Mopar deals look a little stand-off from Chrysler. But I'm sure I'll fully vet them before I drop $1800+ bucks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But I'm sure I'll fully vet them before I drop $1800+ bucks.
Please let us know what you find out after you do your vetting.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Are all Renegades getting the 928 or the 948 tranny? I'm getting conflicting information. The 928 seems to be the match insofar as Tq.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Are all Renegades getting the 928 or the 948 tranny? I'm getting conflicting information. The 928 seems to be the match insofar as Tq.
Looks like you are right, Allpar is reporting the US will get the 928:

North and South America, and Europe, with everything from a five-speed manual to a nine-speed automatic. Americans appear to get two choices: a Fiat 1.4 turbo engine hooked up to a six-speed manual transmission, or the Chrysler 2.4 liter four-cylinder with the ZF-designed, Chrysler-built 928TE nine-speed automatic.
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/renegade.html

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Allpar also says 5 or 6 paragraphs later it will get the 948, so...

I think gas will get the 928 (since all the US now gets is the gas versions, we will only see the 928s.)

Maybe the Diseasal will get the 948 due to its higher torque.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts