Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Jeep Renegade Sport Specs
MSRP: (FWD) $17,995, (AWD) $19,995
Engine: 1.4L MultiAir Turbo I-4
Horsepower: 160
Torque: 184 lb-ft
MPG: 22 combined (Car and Driver observed)
Transmission: 6-speed manual or 9-speed automatic
Tow Capacity: 2,000 lbs
Cargo Capacity: 50.8 cu ft

Honda HR-V Specs
MSRP: $19,115
Engine: In-Line 4-Cylinder
Horsepower: 141
Torque: 127 lb-ft
MPG: 28 combined (manual), 31 combined (CVT)
Transmission: 6-speed manual transmission or CVT with Sport Mode
Tow Capacity: Not Listed (Let me know if you guys can fill in this info)
Cargo Capacity: 58.8 cu ft

To give some analysis on this, it seems like the two vehicles are quite competitive with one another. The HR-V has a bit of a better price (assuming you get a AWD and not FWD Renegade). It also comes out on top by quite a bit when it comes to MPG. 6 or 9 MPG more than the Renegade depending on whether you have a manual or CVT in the HR-V is quite a bit. Cargo Capacity is another area where the HR-V beats out the Renegade.

On the other side, the Jeep Renegade has more horsepower and more torque. It also lists a tow capacity of 2,000 lb-ft, which is great when you consider that I couldn't find any tow capacity at all for the Renegade.

Seems to me that the Renegade would be the more fun vehicle to drive, but the HR-V may be more practical with its better fuel economy and cargo space.

What do you guys think?

*Specs are for the base model of each vehicle*

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
The HR-V is very, very cramped for the driver. I'm tall, but it was literally the only vehicle of all the b-segment and c-segment CUVs I tried that I couldn't actually fit in. I would have been looking out the sun roof.

Also I'd take that cargo space with a grain of salt. The renegade is a boxy, you cna use nearly every cubic inch of space it offers. All the more blobby offerings may have a bit more space, but that space may be difficult or impossible to utilize under most conditions.

As for power, drive one. You are going to feel that 127lb-ft of torque any time you get on the gas. I couldn't fit, but my friend who was cross shopping similar vehicles tested both the renny (2.4) and the h-rv. The engine was his primary deal killer. It could have been supremely pleasing in every other way, and he wasn't going to be able to deal with how anemic it was. He didn't pick the renny either, he went with a 2.0 NA subaru forester.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . What do you guys think? . . .
Well, you asked; I don't like the looks of the Honda at all. And it gets better fuel economy with its less powerful engine.

I just can't get over the looks of recent car designs that "drag" the headlights back on the sides of the fenders. I'll take my lights in the FRONT of the vehicle thank you.

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,057 Posts
Can't imagine an HR-V being as well rounded as the Renegade. Although it is a beautiful vehicle, and the specs are exemplary - You won't see an HR-V on any all-terrain trips, camping trips or overall doing everything you'll see a Renegade doing. Not being biased but let's look at this history of both companies and what they're known for

:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can't imagine an HR-V being as well rounded as the Renegade. Although it is a beautiful vehicle, and the specs are exemplary - You won't see an HR-V on any all-terrain trips, camping trips or overall doing everything you'll see a Renegade doing. Not being biased but let's look at this history of both companies and what they're known for

:D
Your right, the quality and reliability of Honda has the HR-V at the top of my list.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
The Renegade can do what I need it to do while getting decent fuel economy, and I love the design. Go with what fits your lifestyle best.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Renegade can do what I need it to do while getting decent fuel economy, and I love the design. Go with what fits your lifestyle best.
Agreed, a co-worker order the HRV while I the Renegade. Sure there is a thirty five year age gap between us but he likes relibilty and dependabilty from Honda since his Civic is from the mid 90s and still runs without any issues. He did joke and said we should have an eco race and I agreed as long as it is off road. Each vehicle is suited for a particular audience of people and each to their own.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think lifestlye is the key point here. And its similar to say Cherokee vs CR-V. Most people who shop CR-V aren't that interested in the Jeep, and people who shoop the Jeep aren't that interested in the Honda. They cater to similar demographics sure, but the personalities, lifestyles and emotions they hit are vastly different IMO...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Warning! Very Blunt!

You are comparing apples to oranges. An econobox to a Jeep.

It is like comparing a Ferrari to a Bentley. Both make sports cars but they serve completely different purposes. Can they both serve each others purpose? Well they can, sort of. Same issue here.

You said you were interested in towing? Not with the Honda! I would not tow anything with a CVT transmission. If you are considering the manual then all the power to you but I would not recommend it. I am in no way saying it cannot be done, I am making a well educated recommendation not to. If you do, make sure to replace the fluid often, drive very smooth and have the dealer reset the learn parameters. Once it slips... well... here's a paddle and here comes the poop!

Towing aside. The Honda is an excellent choice if you are not worried about power. If you are worried about space, I would suggest looking into a Subaru Forester. More power, more space, best AWD hands down and very reliable. Still has a CVT but the mileage is excellent if that matters to you.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
HR-V ground clearance: 6.7 inches (4.7 inches fully loaded), from what I've read. I need to get through deep snow in the winter, so the Trailhawk was the obvious choice for me. I didn't even consider anything without a Jeep nameplate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spoke with several dealers about the HRV regarding towing capacity. There is no towing capacity. The choices I narrowed down to were the Forester, the HRV, and the Renegade. The Subarus have several lawsuits pending for oil loss in recent model years. This took the Forester out of the running. The HRV had no towing capability, and was frankly kind of boring to drive. I placed it next to my wife Civic and they looked like cousins. No really distinctive styling to the HRV. The price comparison is a little deceiving. The dealers in Florida were adding several thousand in bolt ons. The best ripoff example were mudflaps for $500. The Jeep dealer I purchased from had nothing added on but the standard dealer prep. I purchased the Trailhawk, since the features I wanted 4WD, and towing capability were already built into specs. I will be have to wait and see if reliability is an issue. I have a 1,000,000 miles on Hondas with no major mechanical issues and good residual value on resale at 200,000 miles. I agree with previous posters, lifestyle and expectations for the HRV/CRV are different than the Renegade owner. They both have a market niche.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove an HRV. Really nice vehicle. Roomy enough for me and my wife as its would have been a second "suv"(she drives a 2014 Escape Titanium). Nicely equipped too. But as soon as I mashed the accelerator I heard this scooter like drone from the engine because of the CVT. But it really didn't feel like it accelerated much. That's the main reason why I decided against it. And the fact that it will be so common lol. The Renegade isn't much faster but it has more character.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Subarus have several lawsuits pending for oil loss in recent model years. This took the Forester out of the running.
I looked at the Forester as well but to much of a family car for my needs. By the way, that oil story is old news, with lawyers looking to get rich. That problem has been fixed according to posts on the Forester forums.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Follow your heart

I was in the market for a vehicle and finally narrowed it down to the HR-V and Renegade. I was completely on the fence and lost myself. I read reviews and watched many videos on all the specs of the two vehicles, and I just couldn't decide...

Finally, I decided that I was just going to go look at each vehicle in person and go with my gut reaction and make a decision. Daring, I know but I needed to make a decision and was stuck for weeks.

I first visited the HR-V and immediately after the Renegade. I realized almost instantly after seeing the Jeep, that the Renegade was just it. I was wowed instantly and knew in my heart it was the right choice. I guess it was a lifestyle choice for me.

Heck, I'm only 22, right out of college starting a new job, I have plenty of time in the future for an economically fuel efficient vehicle. This is the first vehicle I'm purchasing myself. I want something that makes a statement! Alas, the Renegade is mine, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I have no regrets. Certainly, the Jeep fits my lifestyle better: biking, camping, commuting, towing, you name it. My advice to you is go with your gut after weighing the pros and cons of what fits your lifestyle best.

Cheers and good luck mate!

Reactions: Sam1
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.