Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Jeep is coming out with a Trackhawk model that is performance and track oriented. That's great and all, but I wonder if an EV Jeep would also be a good idea. Tesla is coming out with the Model X and other brands are trying to compete with that with SUVs as well. If Jeep wants to be the king of SUVs, it seems that EVs would be the last vacancy they have to fill after track versions.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The concept of an EV Jeep does not fit with its rough and ready personality. Where in the deep woods are you going to find a recharging station ? A small gas can in the back gives you the flexibility that you need. I can't see an EV Jeep being a viable option or sales success for this very reason.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The concept of an EV Jeep does not fit with its rough and ready personality. Where in the deep woods are you going to find a recharging station ? A small gas can in the back gives you the flexibility that you need. I can't see an EV Jeep being a viable option or sales success for this very reason.
I agree with this.

I could see them doing an EV version of the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee which most people use for on-road driving anyway... but not the Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited.

But then again... I do live in an area where people buy Hum-Vees solely for street use. lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree with this.

I could see them doing an EV version of the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee which most people use for on-road driving anyway... but not the Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited.

But then again... I do live in an area where people buy Hum-Vees solely for street use. lol

Hum-Vees for street use ? When gas is expensive I can see a lot of them parked.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The obvious answer... range limitations of current battery technology and aerodynamics.

EVs are a packaging challenge to designers and engineers. The platform or chassis can only accommodate so many batteries. Current battery packs can only store so much energy. The more packs you add, the heavier the vehicle gets. So you end up with a balancing act of how many packs can you cram into a chassis without making it so heavy that you're increasing cost at a rate that is not in keeping of the gains in energy capacity. Once you've got that figured out, you then have to squeeze every last mile out of it by making the shape of the vehicle as efficient as possible.

The Prius, Leaf and Model S are shaped they way they are for a reason. Any of the current Jeeps make terrible practical EV candidates. Which is why Jeep officials have said hybrid power is a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Solar? Also keep in mind if you aren't moving, you are using no juice.

Also 100% torque at 0 rpm.

In the 80s there were a couple of boutique EVs that for long trips had a generator in a small trailer to make it a series hybrid. Worst case they could design it with a setup along those lines. Not a trailer though, something mounted.

Also with hub gearing and hub motors the thing could have beastly articulation and insane levels of torque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IKR? Where in the deep woods are you going to find a gas pump? A small solar panel gives you the flexibility that you need. FTFY.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think maybe a hybrid might be a better fit for Jeep. I think they could also emphasize how much torque the vehicle would have which would appeal to the off-road thinking people. I think a bigger challenge is simply that FCA doesn't really have a great foundation in EV or hybrid technology.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
FCA doesn't have the technology nor the money to develop such a Jeep. That's one of the reasons they're hunting down GM.
Yes. Well someone. I'm of the camp that the GM stuff is just the visible posturing for a different deal in the works. The approach thus far is very atypical of an actual merger. However, it is pretty normal for someone playing politics over something else. Be it negotiating a merger, or shutting up people trying to force a sale of RAM and Jeep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Solar? Also keep in mind if you aren't moving, you are using no juice.

Also 100% torque at 0 rpm.

In the 80s there were a couple of boutique EVs that for long trips had a generator in a small trailer to make it a series hybrid. Worst case they could design it with a setup along those lines. Not a trailer though, something mounted.

Also with hub gearing and hub motors the thing could have beastly articulation and insane levels of torque.
Indeed, this looks like the future of rock crawling to me—an electric motor in every wheel. The only reason it's not in play now is (massive) cost.

The BMW i3 has an optional two-cylinder motor attached that extends range to 150 miles (more if you carry gas with you).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.