Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a video comparing the Suzuki Jimny to the Renegade and the Jimny did better off road. Here in the US Suzuki no longer sells cars/trucks and when they did the Jimny was never offered. I had a Suzuki Samurai that was a lot of fun to drive and I was wondering if anyone has ever considered Jimny if you could buy one?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I'm assuming you reference this.

1) They appear to have given the Jimny a rolling start to their example that the renegade choked on, which really ins't fair.
2) "Street" tires or no, they appear to have better tread than the ones on the TH. They also don't look like the tires on the jimny in non-video reviews, so....

That aside, it does have a better crawl ratio, but less torque feeding it, so... dunno how that will work out. Other than that, it's essentially a decade old rattle trap that seats two and is not very nice on road despite costing about half as much.

If your primary need was a cheap off-roader you can afford to mess up off-roading, it's probably the more appropriate choice. As far as a segment to segment match, it'll probably have to wait until jeep makes their a-segment vehicle to determine if jeep makes something properly competitive to it or how big the delta is between the two brands.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just watched a video comparing the Suzuki Jimny to the Renegade and the Jimny did better off road. Here in the US Suzuki no longer sells cars/trucks and when they did the Jimny was never offered. I had a Suzuki Samurai that was a lot of fun to drive and I was wondering if anyone has ever considered Jimny if you could buy one?

I drove a rental Santana (same SJ4 as Jimny, Sierra, Samurai) when I spent a few week in the Canaries. Was a lot of fun off-road and quite good at going over boulders, but during my first off-load trip I managed to break without much effort an electric component that someone who knew those cars week could fix with silver paper from a gum wrapper. Car guzzled fuel and drove like a tiny truck. Not really a daily driver in an urban setting, but rather an uncivilized transport at home on bad roads and no roads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd love to see a modern updated Jimny/Samurai/etc... in the US. Consumer Reports essentially killed it here in the early 90's. I doubt we'll ever see another small SUV/JEEP again that was as capable and fun to drive as the Samurai. I've had a few of them and sold one last year that was stretched in the bed and front fenders with Chevy axles, carb 350 with a cam, Chevy transfer case, and turbo 400 transmission sitting on 36" Super Swampers. It was a JEEP Gecko Green color and you couldn't miss seeing it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
One would think that if they can make a SMART pass crash test requirements, they'd be able to make a modern version of the small Suzuki 4x4. Maybe the market just isn't there in all parts of the world. And whatever happened to compact pickup trucks? Although, I hear the Ford Ranger and Bronco names will be resurrected in the near future. So there may be hope for small utility vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They could definitely make one that could pass the crash tests. I think demand is the driving factor like you said. That along with prices. In my mind a modern Samurai would need to come in between $15k base and $20k loaded to the degree I'm thinking. It's hard these days to meet that price range, but higher than that and the demand wouldn't support it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Downsized CJ?

The Jimny is a tough little vehicle and in the uk older models are well respected and sought after by off-road clubs. It is basic, primitive and unrefined but offroad its small size and lightweight make it extremely capable despite low power. To drive it it is like sitting in little tonka toy. You sit high, it bounces about a bit, you can touch the other door without much of a stretch but above all it feels solid and planted and has bags of character. I didn't like them, drove one for a few weeks and was smitten. Still available new in the Uk, still loved by small farms and still derided by almost every motoring magazine. Its the type of car that Jeep should be making as an evolution of the CJ2A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jimny is 100% an of road car. I own a jimny 12 years and a Renegade nowdays. Once i took the Renegade i had many offer from people to buy the jimny. But i cannot give it since is the car never left me on anything.I still use it for my inner city drivings but i did many trips with it. Around 215.000KM at the moment. It drinks fuel after the 120km/hour as long as you keep it below you will be ok. Also after 130km/hour get ready for winds movements.
The best versiont to buy is an old one with the 4x4 on manual and no with a button, because there is a cord below that can cut the connection with the 4x4 change and many had this issue. Only difference of old models is the steering wheel asesthetics. Nothing else change on design.

Overall keep in mind the motto of the Jimny owners is: I might not be fast but i dont stuck nowhere ;) Definitely if you can afford it buy it.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
One would think that if they can make a SMART pass crash test requirements, they'd be able to make a modern version of the small Suzuki 4x4. Maybe the market just isn't there in all parts of the world. And whatever happened to compact pickup trucks? Although, I hear the Ford Ranger and Bronco names will be resurrected in the near future. So there may be hope for small utility vehicles.

A few things happened to compact pickups. Between the dot com boom and the real estate bubble, people had money to burn and they don't buy small. On top of that gas was cheap. The final nail in the coffin was cafe, which switched from a fixed target to a target curve based on wheelbase. Then money got tighter and people wanted trucks to all be crew cabs so it can be a do it all vehicle. This doesn't fit in a compact format.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm assuming you reference this.

1) They appear to have given the Jimny a rolling start to their example that the renegade choked on, which really ins't fair.
2) "Street" tires or no, they appear to have better tread than the ones on the TH. They also don't look like the tires on the jimny in non-video reviews, so....

That aside, it does have a better crawl ratio, but less torque feeding it, so... dunno how that will work out. Other than that, it's essentially a decade old rattle trap that seats two and is not very nice on road despite costing about half as much.

If your primary need was a cheap off-roader you can afford to mess up off-roading, it's probably the more appropriate choice. As far as a segment to segment match, it'll probably have to wait until jeep makes their a-segment vehicle to determine if jeep makes something properly competitive to it or how big the delta is between the two brands.
I there a link in your post raz-0?
I cant see it if there is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is this the video from an australian review

The Suzuki Jimny tyres used in most markets are not that great off-road and are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II (H/T = highway terrain).
I use often a Suzuki Jimny to go to our very small olive tree's farm through narrow umpaved roads. It is grat, as others wrote, offroad but on tarmac well You feel it is based on a 40 years old project, even if since SJ410 / Samurai now it has coils instead of leaf springs and a larger track.
Where I live, a semirural place in central Italy, You find many people with Suzuki Jimny (and Fiat Panda 4x4), used value is high.
It is essentially a two seater and has very small cargo area, even with rear seats folded down (well also Jeep Wrangler has small cargo area, smaller tha a Fiat Panda 4x4, but bigger than Suzuki).

Suzuki Jimny is manufactured since few years also in Brazil and there is offered in more rugger versions for offroad activities like the 4Sport and 4Work.

Brazilian Suzuki 4Work

European version

The Suzuki closer to Jeep Renegade it is the new Suzuki Vitara, introduced this year in Europe.
For the 1.6 diesel version it uses same engine as Jeep Renegade 1.6 diesel FWD and Fiat 500X 1.6 diesel FWD, but Suzuki offers also the 4DW versions with that engine (sourced by FCA as well as gearbox).
http://parkers.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/162767/IMG_3523.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After my Samurai convertible I had a Tracker 4 door and then a 2004 Vitara V6. Have you seen the 2016 Vitara? I miss my Suzukis as well. I never had a bit of trouble with them. I was looking for a low mileage newer Grande Vitara before I bought my Renegade since we can no longer buy Suzuki cars here in the US and, I believe, Canada.

·
Registered
100 Posts
After my Samurai convertible I had a Tracker 4 door and then a 2004 Vitara V6. Have you seen the 2016 Vitara? I miss my Suzukis as well. I never had a bit of trouble with them. I was looking for a low mileage newer Grande Vitara before I bought my Renegade since we can no longer buy Suzuki cars here in the US and, I believe, Canada.
I was choosing between new vitara and renegade 2 month ago, and tested both. For my needs I need small SUV, and those two came in narrow selection because of body shape - not like honda(HRV),hyundai(terracan),toyota(RAV), they look all the same to me.
Of course Jimny is also very nice, but unfortunately offroad is not my only way, and comfort also plays a big role. For second car would be perfect.
I was impressed with vitara . Nice driving, the day I tested had chance to drive in snow, vitara did very nice. Also price is very affordable - minimum 6k euro less as renegade limited (with similar accessories).
As always there is "but" - still driving in renegade is a bit better, specialy for my size (6.2), more clearance over my head, better material in cocpit, better ground clearance and other offroad characteristics, and bigger tow weight made my decision for TH.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My nearest jeep dealer also has the franchise for Suzuki, Subaru and Isuzu so the showroom is a great place to compare Awd/4wd vehicles and I had a good look at both Vitara and Jimny whilst I was thinking about the Renegade. The Jimny is just too small for my requirements just now but I did compare the Vitara against the Renegade but the whole interior quality felt WAY below that of the Renegade. And although the Vitara price was keen I felt that the Renegade was a far more premium vehicle and justified the extra cost and I'm generally happy with my choice. My Renegade feels like a solidly built little SUV, and I would only change one or two things about it to earn my full trust/respect but if Jeep made a Jimny/new CJ maybe i'd forgo the luxury.......

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've been driving a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara for nearly a decade now. And yes, they are no longer in the North American market; 2013 was their last model year here in Canada (might have been 2012 in the US?).

But even though we knew they were pulling out, we bought a 2013 Suzuki SX/4 for my wife. It was kind of "get one while we can!" With AWD, it's a great snow car, and it has a 6-sp manual (we both prefer driving stick). And the dealer we bought it from, a Subaru/Suzuki dealer, is still authorized to service Suzuki.

If Suzuki was still in the market here, I'd certainly be looking at another GV. However, they're not, so hopefully the Renegade will be a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realize this thread is a little old but in addition to my DoJ edition I also own a 1992 Samurai. It's been my daily driver for two years now and also my hunting rig. My wife asked me if I would consider buying a new Jimny if it ever came out on the US market, and my response was "Heck ya!". Especially that Brazilian model! Jimnies and Samurais are great, dependable, economical and affordable little vehicles. And although they are not the most comfortable for daily driving, it can certainly be used for such. Here's a pic of my Sammy without its hardtop.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Jimny is a completely different vehicle... a smaller wheel base making it lighter and more nimble but not what I need. I downgraded size wise when I went from a patriot to a renegade. does it hurt when I go grocery shopping? Yeah if I have tools in the back and have more than just me and my girl friend with me in the vehicle but it gets the job done. With a smaller vehicle like the Jimny which is a 2 door I don't think I would be able to do my day to day activities the way I do them today. I also went on a road trip (16 hours one way) with the renegade traveling with my girl friend, our dog Pomeranian, and brother. With its roof rails we put a topper on the top of the vehicle which carried all of our luggage and we had room for a cooler in the back and everything we bought on our trip. I also go camping in the renegade and there's lots of room for fishing gear, camping supplies, clothes, dog stuff, and more. I also got a hitch on mine so I can tow a reasonably sized boat (16ft). The Jeep also has front collision avoidance and passive entry which are fucking awesome. The Jimny is just a brute and really if you want pure offroad here you can get a 2 door wrangler which compared to the jimny is probably fairly close in offroad performance (stock)

Edit: rev44 picture kinda proves my last statement about the wrangler 2 door, with the top off they look very similar xD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.