Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ummm... IMHO the Renegade driver really wasn't that experienced.

Air-down the tires first off, you could tell they were at full-PSI by watching the passenger tire spin on the rock towards the end of his run.

I've found that disabling traction control and ESC helps a ton when offroading.

I've seen videos from our members as well as tons of YouTube videos where Renegades have conquered _much_ tougher-looking terrain than where he got stuck.

Further up the trails, where they split at the fork-in-the-road, it gets a little knarly looking, but I dunno - didn't look crazy impossible.

Boo! to the Renegade driver in this video, for certain!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with this video only that they tested factory stock on all 3 vehicles.The Renegade Trailhawk just doesn't have the guts for long sustained steep climbs.They seemed biased towards the Renegade, by calling it the " Fiat jeep" ....I'm shure they didn't push it to its full potential.
Different driver,airing down, more aggressive tires would of been helpful,but not much more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fact that a Renegade is even being compared to a couple of Wranglers offroad is pretty impressive in itself. The Wrangler is the vehicle to buy for offroading, but it's a compromise in everything else with dismal gas mileage, poor ride quality, poor handling, and a crappy interior unless you option it out to $45k.

Agreed that that guy didn't know what he was doing, he obviously could have picked a different line a couple of feet to the side and been on his way. Can a Renegade compete against a Wrangler offroad? Absolutely not, who really thinks that? It does everything else so much better than a Wrangler, but offroading is not one of them. A Renegade TH can do the type of offroading that a lot of Wrangler owners do, most owners don't really push their Wrangler to the extremely high limits of its capabilities offroad. A Renegade TH will get through stuff that larger trucks and most other stock vehicles on the market will get stuck/scrape on, but it is not better than a Wrangler.

Also, sometimes these hills/ruts on video look like nothing when it's actually some pretty tough terrain.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drove this little trail today in the Cherokee. No way in **** a Renegade Trailhawk could have made it. The Renny stopped right before the trail got steep, and difficult.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Drove this little trail today in the Cherokee. No way in **** a Renegade Trailhawk could have made it. The Renny stopped right before the trail got steep, and difficult.
A Renegade TH can get over obstacles that a Cherokee TH will hit:

Stock for stock, the Renegade TH is the better choice for rough trails. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. The published numbers are the truth. The Cherokee TH has a better crawl ratio and a real locking dif, but all that is useless if you smash bumper first into a rock or bottom out.

Now if you wanted to have a debate about which one has more potential modified, that's a different story.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You made a poor assumption, not that there are good assumptions. I have a SJ Cherokee.
Nice, you have an old Cherokee from the 70's. Seems like a pretty off-topic post to post in the General Discussion/Off-Road section, I'm not even going to look up what the stock clearance was on a SJ Cherokee because it doesn't even matter to anyone reading these posts.

It would have made more sense to be comparing a newer Cherokee since people cross shop them and compare them on a regular basis, my bad for jumping to that conclusion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How is watching a Renegade Trailhawk try to conquer a trail off topic?
It's out of the ordinary to have a 70's era Cherokee, my bad for assuming that you're talking about a newer Cherokee when you said 'my Cherokee is so much better than a Renegade TH off-road'. I don't see the relevance to this thread, unless you're trying to bash Renegades which you've already assured us that you're not. ;)

It's definitely off-topic to be comparing your SJ to anything newer, CSB. Again, my bad for assuming that you were talking about a relevant subject like a newer Cherokee.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It started when I wanted to see the trail for myself. I know my Latitude doesn't have a chance, and it has no spare tire, so it stays home when I hit the dirt. Stupid tube of goo isn't going to fix a torn sidewall.

A Traihawk, even the 14+ Cherokee version, wasn't gong to make it much further. Both Trailhawks lack the ground clearance, and most importantly, articulation.

As for a Vibe making it that far, not a chance in heck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A Renegade TH can get over obstacles that a Cherokee TH will hit:

Stock for stock, the Renegade TH is the better choice for rough trails. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. The published numbers are the truth. The Cherokee TH has a better crawl ratio and a real locking dif, but all that is useless if you smash bumper first into a rock or bottom out.

Now if you wanted to have a debate about which one has more potential modified, that's a different story.
I still don't understand the mentality that .6 degrees of an approach angle drastically makes the Cherokee easier to <ahem> "Smash bumper first into a rock or bottom out."

In the end, they're comparing a cross-over SUV vehicle, against two purpose built SUVs. It's an apples to oranges situation. Once of which costs $20k+ more than the BU TH.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I still don't understand the mentality that .6 degrees of an approach angle drastically makes the Cherokee easier to <ahem> "Smash bumper first into a rock or bottom out."

In the end, they're comparing a cross-over SUV vehicle, against two purpose built SUVs. It's an apples to oranges situation. Once of which costs $20k+ more than the BU TH.
It's the difference between clearing/slightly scraping on an obstacle and hitting it. In the case of bottoming out, the Renegade is at an even greater advantage than the approach angle you just quoted, since the two vehicles have similar approach. Where did you hear me say that the Renegade is 'drastically' better than a Cherokee offroad? All I said is that a Renegade TH has an advantage offroad due to it's superior angles. There are multiple people of this forum who seem to be under the impression that the Cherokee TH is the superior choice for trail riding as though the locking dif and crawl ratio will magically move obstacles out of the way on the trail for you. I've been offroading with guys who have 2wd trucks that got farther than some of the 4x4's due to clearance mostly.

I just put in my two cents on the subject, but I was mistaken in thinking that the OP was talking about a newer Cherokee.

The whole premise of that video was to poo-poo Renegades, it was not a real comparison and who compares cross-over SUVs to a Wrangler offroad in the first place? Then the OP comes back in here to further bash Renegade TH's (which he doesn't even own) saying his modified Jeep from the 70's is much better on the trails. If I had noticed that he was talking about an old Cherokee, I never would have replied to him in the first place, this whole thread seems kind of trolly down to the intentionally controversial thread title and video, and I fell for it. My bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts

It's the difference between clearing/slightly scraping on an obstacle and hitting it. In the case of bottoming out, the Renegade is at an even greater advantage than the approach angle you just quoted, since the two vehicles have similar approach. Where did you hear me say that the Renegade is 'drastically' better than a Cherokee offroad? All I said is that a Renegade TH has an advantage offroad due to it's superior angles. There are multiple people of this forum who seem to be under the impression that the Cherokee TH is the superior choice for trail riding as though the locking dif and crawl ratio will magically move obstacles out of the way on the trail for you. I've been offroading with guys who have 2wd trucks that got farther than some of the 4x4's due to clearance mostly.

I just put in my two cents on the subject, but I was mistaken in thinking that the OP was talking about a newer Cherokee.

The whole premise of that video was to poo-poo Renegades, it was not a real comparison and who compares cross-over SUVs to a Wrangler offroad in the first place? Then the OP comes back in here to further bash Renegade TH's (which he doesn't even own) saying his modified Jeep from the 70's is much better on the trails. If I had noticed that he was talking about an old Cherokee, I never would have replied to him in the first place, this whole thread seems kind of trolly down to the intentionally controversial thread title and video, and I fell for it. My bad.
I just wanted to point of that the OP said he does own a renegade and posted a picture of his cherokee and renegade.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The fact is, for me even when I had my FJ Cruiser, taking on a trail like that just would not be in the cards for me unless I had a horde of zombies after me. My FJ and my Renegade were and are my only cage vehicle, I cant take the chance on taking it out of commission.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.