Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Has anyone changed out their engine air filter with a K&N filter and noticed and improvements to speak of? Also, I’m not showing K&N has a specific filter for the 2020. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Matthew

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been putting K&N air filters in all my vehicles for many, many years. I couldn't honestly say it improves anything because I usually install them within a few days/hours of vehicle ownership. I've never really run stock paper filters for very long to make a fair comparison.

The only things I've noticed is the engine has a ever-so-lightly louder growl to it, most likely due to the K&N filter being less restrictive and it seems more peppy when pressing the throttle (but that one could be my mind telling me so).

I put them in simply for maintenance or lack thereof. They can be washed and re-used many times, so overall cheaper than constantly buying paper filters and go many more miles between cleanings. They grab more dirt than regular paper filters, another plus in my book.

There is also a claim of improved gas mileage, it could be true. If I do my part, I average 33-38 mpg on the highway if I keep it in 9th gear as much as possible. But I can't claim it was just the filter that provides that; I keep my tires at proper psi, I don't lead-foot the throttle or constantly go back and forth from gas to brake. I have no aftermarket strap on items (lights, roof racks, lift kits, larger tires, etc.) to increase drag and weight. It could be a combo of the filter and my conservative driving habits.

But I'll give you some tips from things I've learned the hard way. Do NOT over-apply the filter oil. More is not better. I over-applied the filter oil once and my motorcycle felt like I was dragging a 4 ton trailer behind it. Had to pull the filter, clean it and re-apply the right amount. Also, do not be in a rush, follow the instructions. When it says to wait after applying the oil, WAIT, they know better than you. I sprayed the filter for my smart fortwo, waited maybe 2-3 minutes then put it in, I had things to do. The vehicle was burping and farting for quite a few miles.

I'm thinking about buying a K&N cabin air filter simply because changing that filter is a stupidly complicated time consuming process.

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I have been useing them on all of my Jeeps & 4x4s since 1990! Love em and I know they work great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was excited to purchase a K&N for the 2020 Renegade but I contacted K&N and they currently don’t make an engine filter for that year. Rats!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I am using K&N Oil, Air and Cabin filters on all of my vehicles...
Clarification:

K&N's: Oil Filter, Air Filter and Cabin Filter on all of my vehicles...

... I don't think K&N make oil (engine oil). lol

They do make Air Filter Oil and Cabin Filter Oil. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts