Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having continued problems with my jeep renegade trailhawk gaining entry, locking and starting my car. It was in a jeep dealer Monday and diagnosed the drivers door handle lock button causing all the issues, but as they hadn’t got the part in stock I was given my car back and told the drivers handle has been deactivated so as to not cause a problem, and a software update done to allow me to use to fob to open and close my car. Tonight after numerous presses I finally gained entry, but it wouldn’t start, the dash displayed a message along the lines of “press fob to button to start” this has worried me as I have no idea how long I can do this for as the door part is on order and not expected to arrive for 5-10 days.

Can anybody tell me if I can use the key to open/close the door and use the fob to start the car indefinitely, as I am worried about being locked out, or worse being able to open the door and not start the car I didn’t know if I should not use it or carry on... any help would be hugely appreciated

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are instructions in the owner's manual that instruct you to use the fob to push the start button. That will work indefinitely. As for getting in and out and locking and unlocking - there is a key hidden in the fob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just curious, have you replaced the battery in the FOB? My wife's Journey does this kind of thing when the battery in the FOBs start to die.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, have you replaced the battery in the FOB? My wife's Journey does this kind of thing when the battery in the FOBs start to die.

Hi, Yes I had changed the battery in the fob, and this is when all the problems began. I took both fobs in to the garage and they said that both batteries were fine, and to be fair they worked fine for a couple of days then began to act up again. I have now taken to opening the car with the key and using the fob against the start button to start the car. As advised by the previous reply I am hoping this will last until the new part arrives and I can get the car back into the garage. I did get asked if the keys were kept near my phone in my handbag as this may be affecting the signal long-term ?. but I am not sure if anybody else has been asked this or found it to affect them ..

·
Registered
573 Posts
I laugh and get mad at the same time when a tech throws out a totally illogical "reason" for an error. If putting your key fob in a handbag next to your phone (an extremely common situation) would wipe/confuse the fob, there would be dozens upon dozens of recalls, Jeep would not be allowed to have such an error exist. That is NOT causing your issue.

I once had a phone tech tell my wife that the reason the WiFi part of our DSL router was constantly burning out was due to "too much electricity in the air" in our house and left his contact number for me to call. I called him and asked him what kind of Scooby-doo freaking meter do phone techs carry to measure this. He said "a multi-meter", like that word would convince me. When I said I use a multi-meter DAILY and it's function is not to check "electricity in the air", I need his supervisors number. I called his super, explained and he said, "He said WHAT ??". He apologized and said a different tech would come out. That tech found an issue at the street box, no where near my house. It's been 3 years now, no issues.

My wife said the first tech sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I reminded her of a phrase my Dad used to say, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts