Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my TH and trying to decide on the key fob warranty from the dealership for $299. OR Is the key fob covered under Maxcare? Supposedly they can't look this information up until I purchase the plan. So I am at a loss as to know which to go with. I hate to pay an extra $300 if it is not necessary and if I get the same coverage with Maxcare. But if it isn't covered I want to get it. If you have a Maxcare policy could you perhaps look and see what it says? I know I saw something on it when I almost purchased a Jeep last week, but as I didn't I wasn't allowed to keep the paperwork.

Thanks in advance,

Mickee

·
Registered
132 Posts
As requested......
Mopar Maxcare

"KEY FOB: Subject to the limitations in this provision, the Plan provides (i) coverage for up to three key fob repairs or replacements,
and (ii) a total key fob coverage benefit of $600, which limit applies notwithstanding the cost per repair or per replacement of the key
fob for the Covered Vehicle. Key fob coverage is available even if any part of this covered component is not available, recoverable or
operable, and this coverage is not subject to the deductible that applies to repair visits for covered components.
NOTE: FAILURE OF A KEY FOB BATTERY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A MECHANICAL FAILURE OF THE KEY FOB."

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, in your opinion is the added $299 on the key fob necessary? They will repair and/or replace the key fob 2 times a year for 5 years VS the maxcare that will max out at 3 repairs and $600.00. Of course I am not planning on losing or damaging my keys, but that is why we have insurance/warranty too.

Mickee

·
Registered
132 Posts
You get 2 key fobs when purchasing the vehicle. I honestly don't think it will ever be an issue..other than maybe a battery dying..but in my last vehicle that I had for 11 1/2 years..battery never died on either remote. If there is ever an issue with battery dying on fob...you can still get into vehicle with the key inside fob...and you can start vehicle by pressing fob against start button. I don't think you'll have a mechanical failure on both your fobs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! That is kind of what I was thinking too. I have never in my 35 years of driving lost a key or my keys. I was just not sure how these new type operate or how often they might malfunction. My 10 year old car key fob has a dead battery in it, but as I am trading it off I have not replaced it.

Mickee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.