Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I can't open the door by pressing the button on the key fob. I open the door with the mechanical key - car starts normally. Afterward I can lock the door with the fob. After some time this happens again. Sometimes the car asks to push the start button with the fob. Next time it just starts normally.

Twice I checked this using the spare fob which I just left in a drawer for two years. If the door doesn't open when I use the regular fob it will not get opened with the spare fob as well. This seems to exclude the possibility that drained battery in the fob caused the problem.

Any idea?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But why the battery in the spare fob which I never used would die? Or may be even when it lays in my cupboard it sends radio signals?

Anyway I opened the fob that I regularly used and the battery measured 2.98 volt.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
It should read 3.0 Volts. Your Jeep will not start with 11.98 volts same thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brand new CR2032 reads 3.3 Volt. Will See.

My 3 Volt GPS works fine with 2.4 Volt.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sometimes I can't open the door by pressing the button on the key fob. I open the door with the mechanical key - car starts normally. Afterward I can lock the door with the fob. After some time this happens again. Sometimes the car asks to push the start button with the fob. Next time it just starts normally.

Twice I checked this using the spare fob which I just left in a drawer for two years. If the door doesn't open when I use the regular fob it will not get opened with the spare fob as well. This seems to exclude the possibility that drained battery in the fob caused the problem.

Any idea?
Hello Simkins,
If you are unable to remedy this concern with the assistance of fellow forum members, I kindly suggest connecting with your local Jeep dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, please feel free to send us a private message.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my 17 was doing same thing.....took it in and they flashed bcm I think...anyways no problem in a few months
Will be funny if it is just the battery in the remote. Will have to wait couple weeks to tell for sure.

At any rate using a spare remote is not a proxy for replacing battery. Since the battery in my spare unused remote measured the same 2.98 Volt as the one in the regularly used remote. Apparently this is because the radio receiver in the fob is always on expecting a signal from car. And this drains the battery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Will be funny if it is just the battery in the remote. Will have to wait couple weeks to tell for sure.

At any rate using a spare remote is not a proxy for replacing battery. Since the battery in my spare unused remote measured the same 2.98 Volt as the one in the regularly used remote. Apparently this is because the radio receiver in the fob is always on expecting a signal from car. And this drains the battery.
I changed both fob batteries first and still same problem....so they flashed the bcm and gone ...no problems....good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed both fob batteries first and still same problem....so they flashed the bcm and gone ...no problems....good luck
It is enough to change the battery in one fob to tell if this is the problem.

In my case two weeks passed and everything works fine, no recurrence. So it was the fob battery indeed.

However had I bring the car to the dealer they would surely do with it something clever and sophisticated.

·
Registered
421 Posts

At this rate we will all be installing small solar panels to the windscreen just like I do with my boat. :oops::oops::oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts