Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Throughout the forum I have read comments pertaining to the KN type filters. Is the filter that I need for a 2015 Renegade, 2.0 diesel 4x4 (140hp but it may be the 170)

Kn filter

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It looks right, but I can't confirm. I don't like aftermarket filters, especially ones that need oiling. You won't gain any usable power over the OEM filter save for maybe a minute amount above 4,000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I am not a mechanic can you explain the term "oiling". I imagine that means lightly coating the filter with a thin oil before use. Just like oiling a frying pan o_O

What is the OEM filter? (I know what OEM means) but I presume you mean the bog standard Jeep filter from the dealership as opposed to somewhere like Dingbro, Autoparts or any other parts dealership? :unsure:

My Jeep is chipped so the amount of extra power will certainly be limited but I want my engine to breathe properly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi all,

Throughout the forum I have read comments pertaining to the KN type filters. Is the filter that I need for a 2015 Renegade, 2.0 diesel 4x4 (140hp but it may be the 170)

Kn filter
That ebay auction lists the manufacturer part number as JPJR335034, the K&N website lists the part number as 33-5034, since the 335034 appears in both number I would bet that the ebay filter is the correct filter.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
As I am not a mechanic can you explain the term "oiling". I imagine that means lightly coating the filter with a thin oil before use. Just like oiling a frying pan o_O
I believe the K&N comes pre-oiled. If I remember correctly it should last approximately 40,000 miles (64K Kilometers) before re-oiling, that mileage can vary depending on driving conditions.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I believe the K&N comes pre-oiled. If I remember correctly it should last approximately 40,000 miles (64K Kilometers) before re-oiling, that mileage can vary depending on driving conditions.
Correct. It does come pre-oiled and you don't need to clean it and re-oil it until 50,000 miles have passed. But I do it earlier, just cuz. K&N sells the cleaner and oil, you can't just spritz it with any ol' oil. Just don't over apply the oil.

I put them in all my vehicles and motorcycles, have been for years. It's a "buy once, cry once" purchase. Sure, they cost more than crappy OEM paper filters, but they are WAY better. I saw a 3-5 mpg increase in my Renegade alone. I reuse mine for years, still the original in every vehicle. Paper filters you have to keep buying over and over, year after year.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Guys, point taken. Looks like I have a new Xmas present to order up 🎅🎅🎅

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
318 Posts
pre oiled--- picked up almost 2 mpg and you get a nice growl from the engine when accelerating, big difference than stock filter---wait till you see the design difference

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I hung my Xmas stocking with a list.

No doubt I will be ordered tomorrow to seek the appropriate filter(s) as I also want to replace the cabin/pollen filter :D🎅🎅

🤶🤶🤶 told me to order them. Arriving tomorrow 🤶🤶🤶

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Filters arrived and were fitted yesterday by myself. It really is extremely easy to do yourself.

Quite literally 2 minutes for the air filter. It was only three cross head screws.

12 minutes to fit the cabin filter as I couldnt find a 5.5mm socket until I ran up the stairs and grabbed the socket set. It's only 8 torque screws.

Have a look at how dirty they were and upon reflection that's almost 40K of dirt as I have never changed them and I've owned the car after it's first 6 months on the road. :eek::cry::whistle:

filter 1.JPG
filter 2.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@DGR, I don't know if I am expecting miracles or perhaps imagining it but the Jeep sounds smoother when running and is slightly throatier as you accelerate.

The Jeep is positively purring quite nicely and though chipped, seems to have gained a little extra "punch" when you press the accelerator. :D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts