1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Interesting how after nearly a year, this forum only generated 3 items about Jeep suspension. Opposite of what I would expect.

So I'm posting a link to the Koni frequency-selective-damping technology. It's light reading so enjoy.

http://www.koni.com/car-racing/technology/fsd-frequency-selective-damping/
JFS, good post, this is actually one of the items that first caught my eye about the Renegade, I wanted something better riding that the Wrangler for a daily driver. It seems they put a lot of thought into the suspension and shocks to get a more competitive ride.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That is also something that i'm surprised about, haven't seen too many discussions here about the suspension system.
As people start taking delivery of them and get some good seat time while on different terrain i expect suspension talk to blow up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel that even though the Renegade is a 'Jeep' it's not really the most ideal off-roading vehicle. Maybe that's why not much has been brought up about suspension options.

The Koni technology looks very interesting. Hopefully this will give a much better ride compared to the rugged Jeep wrangler.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Fiat has this in the front. When you select "sport" mode it stiffens the front shocks.

I'd give you a review between the two shock stiffnesses, but I'm always in sport mode, lol.

Interesting that they are including it on the Jeep. I wonder if it will be for all 4 corners.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
So does the Renegade have Koni suspension?
Yes, front and rear:

Premium Koni frequency selective damping system
The all-new 2015 Renegade is the first Jeep to integrate Koni’s frequency selective damping (FSD) front and rear strut system. This damping system enables the Jeep Renegade to deliver world-class road-holding and handling characteristics. In addition, the Koni FSD system actively filters out high-frequency suspension inputs from uneven road surfaces and adjusts for comfort and smoothness while maintaining excellent ride control.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?&id=15530&mid=444

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Fiat has this in the front. When you select "sport" mode it stiffens the front shocks.

I'd give you a review between the two shock stiffnesses, but I'm always in sport mode, lol.

Interesting that they are including it on the Jeep. I wonder if it will be for all 4 corners.
I too own an Abarth. It doesn't do anything to the shocks in sport mode. All Sport mode does is quicken and stiffen up the steering, give the engine a different map to operate on and thats it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The FSD struts are not externally adjustable. They adjust themselves internally via the valves depending on frequency at which the poison is moving.
But may probably be able to swap them out for adjustable Koni yellows or reds which would be good options for people trying to build there own srt version with lowering springs. Or even with longer Springs to achieve a little lift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very interested in Koni FSD! Anticipating reviews, findings, upgrades, and knowledge regarding the system, and it's optimization. Will keep this thread around.

>:D

This Jeep has peaked my interest and am following its development and have been since infancy. Hoping the Italian/USA marriage works as it should and provides some rugged/reliable characteristics with a svelt finish.

These are lofty goals I know. I am thinking positive, expecting negative and being optimistic, we will see, time will tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The FSD struts are not externally adjustable. They adjust themselves internally via the valves depending on frequency at which the poison is moving.
But may probably be able to swap them out for adjustable Koni yellows or reds which would be good options for people trying to build there own srt version with lowering springs. Or even with longer Springs to achieve a little lift.
Will be studying. Hopefully the driveline is easily compensated and or has some adjustment built into it as it works in unison withe suspension. Hopefully a srt version is already in the works.

>:D>:D>:D>:D>:D>:D:D>:D>:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm impressed that the Renegade has the Koni FSDs as stock equipment. The FSDs have been around for probably 10 years, and as far as I know, there are only a couple models that feature them as OE (Renegade being one of the couple models). 'Tis a shame because I've been in a few cars that had them installed aftermarket and they rode rather well while also increasing handling prowess.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now that folks, stateside, are logging some miles on these sukkas, how's this component doing for you folks?? How is the ride in comparison to other vehicles you've driven?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I can only say it rides nicely for a "tall" mini-SUV. It's hard to compare unless I drove a similar vehicle with standard shocks.

I certainly can't compare it to my Challenger Scat Pack which corners like it's on rails compared to the Renegade. But a mini-SUV certainly isn't meant to corner like a muscle car. It does hold its own in regular driving on the highway & back roads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Juts saw this post and as a new Renegade Owner, having a very stiff ride, can the Koni dampening be adjusted to be more soft say by the dealer or is it a self adjusting?

If it ca be manually adjusted to be more soft will definitely get the dealer to do this. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Juts saw this post and as a new Renegade Owner, having a very stiff ride, can the Koni dampening be adjusted to be more soft say by the dealer or is it a self adjusting?

If it ca be manually adjusted to be more soft will definitely get the dealer to do this. Thanks.

They are non adjustable. They just have variable behavior depending on driving conditions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.